AD110 Amcrest Doorbell - Focus Distance Issue

mrfixit49

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, all, just added an AD110 to my growing collection of Amcrest/Dahua cameras. Interesting concern that I haven't been able to find online. It appears my unit's focus depth is stuck in macro/shallow.

For viewing anything from two inches (50mm) to six inches (150mm) from the camera lens, the picture is crystal clear. Fine details are quite visible with very good quality. But, once anything is farther than that, those subjects are out of focus.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

I already updated the firmware, hard restarted the unit, and removed it from power until the capacitors drained. No change. Mechanical chime works. Motion sensing works. Just unable to focus.

System info:
Code:
../cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo
deviceType=AD110
hardwareVersion=1.10
processor=HI3516CV200

../cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSoftwareVersion
version=1.000.00AC006.0.R,build:2020-09-22

I am quite familiar with IP Cameras, but this is my first doorbell. I've reviewed the following Amcrest HTTP API locations and none them have "focus" like my other Amcrest/Dahua cameras.

Code:
These locations provide configurations:
.../cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=VideoColor
.../cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=VideoInOptions[0]

These locations show: Error Bad Request!
.../cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=VideoInFocus[0]
.../cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=autoFocus
.../cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=getFocusStatus
Here are my tests captured with ZoneMinder:

Two Inches (50mm) 1080p:
two_inches.jpg

Six inches (150mm) 1080p:
six_inches.jpg

Two feet (60cm) 1080p:
two_feet.jpg

My only familiarity with this doorbell camera are YouTube reviews. There is one that shows a license plate and one that shows stop signs that are clearly legible in their reviews. Mine can't come close to that kind of focus.

1604885356253.png is in this video:

1604885259257.png is in this video:

I'm within the return period, but I don't want to return this unit if it is just a quick setting change that I'm completely overlooking. Any advice would be much appreciated.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never been bothered by the fixed focus on the AD110. Closeup clarity was more important to me for a doorbell front porch cam. I had never attempted to qualitatively measure focus at further distances but I did want to try a comparison to your images to see if you might have a mfg/assembly defect.

Do check to make sure your snapshots are being created in HD/1080 res. I found I can't trust the live view quality status icon in v200702 and need to tap it again to ensure it is in HD mode.

Here's my Eye Chart image at 2ft away. The focus looks very similar to yours. I do have WDR enabled for improved contrast. I understand that this option was taken out of the app recently for unknown reasons. (Our matching shirt color was purely coincidental!)

ad110focus.jpg

Here's a license tag at 10ft away - can easily read the numbers but not much else. At 20ft away, the tag was totally illegible.

10ft.jpg

There are no means of configuring depth of field or focus that I know of. For reference, these are the VideoinOptions settings currently defined in my AD110 (v200702).

Code:
"VideoInOptions" : [
      {
         "AntiFlicker" : 0,
         "Backlight" : 0,
         "DayNightColor" : 1,
         "ExposureSpeed" : 0,
         "ExposureValue1" : 10.0,
         "ExposureValue2" : 10.0,
         "ExternalSync" : 0,
         "Flip" : false,
         "Gain" : 95,
         "GainAuto" : true,
         "GainBlue" : 28,
         "GainMax" : 90,
         "GainRed" : 24,
         "IrisAuto" : false,
         "Mirror" : false,
         "NightOptions" : {
            "Gain" : 0,
            "GainRed" : 24,
            "WhiteBalance" : "Disable"
         },
         "ReferenceLevel" : 50,
         "ReferenceLevelEnable" : false,
         "Rotate90" : 0,
         "SignalFormat" : "Inside",
         "Snapshot" : {
            "ExposureMode" : 0,
            "ExposureSpeed" : 0,
            "ExposureValue1" : 0,
            "ExposureValue2" : 33.330,
            "Gain" : 50,
            "GainMin" : 0,
            "GainRed" : 24
         },
         "WhiteBalance" : "Auto",
         "WideDynamicRange" : 34
      }

mrfixit49

n3wb
Reaction score
@GaryOkie, thank you for your perspective. That helps immensely. I called Amcrest and they confirmed some settings. Then, they concluded that it is defective. I'm awaiting my replacement. In the meantime, your idea of the license plate was interesting. So, I re-ran my tests with a test license plate for perspective only. I am not looking to capture plates with my doorbell. If a license plate on a vehicle actually comes near my doorbell, it will soon be posted to the Camera Captures section from various angles. ;)

These snapshots are cropped from 1920x1080. They are not resized (though your device may resize them for aesthetics.) For these images, I have WDR off (via API) and Backlight on (via API). Sorry, I didn't have a chance to match your settings before testing.

1605054053033.png

1ft (30cm) from the lens:
plate 1ft.jpg

2ft (60cm) from the lens:
plate 2ft.jpg

10ft (3m) from the lens:
10 ft.jpg

20ft (6m) from the lens:
20ft plate.jpg

Agreed that the plate is also indistinguishable at 20ft (6m). @GaryOkie, your foliage is just amazing clear in your photos. We don't have those beautiful color changing varieties here, but as you can see, everything is blurry at 10ft and beyond.

When I get the replacement unit, I'll post some side-by-side comparisons. Thank you all for viewing.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
oh wow, that last image is terrible and definitely proves the device is defective.

We are having a beautiful fall in Oklahoma. Just now getting past peak and leaves dropping fast. Fortunately, not a single false alert from the falling leaves!

Last edited:

mrfixit49

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, all, Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.

Just a follow-up to my original post. The doorbell was in fact defective. The replacement doorbell is absolutely fantastic. This device doesn't get the publicity it deserves.

Here are the updated images to compare license plate distances. These are cropped from 1920x1080. Your device may resize for aesthetics.

1ft (30cm)
new 1ft.jpg

2ft (60cm)
new 2ft.jpg

10ft (3m)
new 10ft.jpg

20ft (6m)
new 20ft.jpg

Even at 20 ft, the plate is still recognizable. Again, the plate is just for comparison as I am not using this camera to capture plates. But, if I was, some quick adjustments actually would provide at least a partial plate to start researching with.

20ft (6m) adjusted for clarity:
new 20ft opt.jpg

With the native doorbell transformer voltage input (and built in capacitor), the option to use or not use a mechanical chime, the Alexa app, the API, and RTSP, this doorbell is truly the complete package. With no extra cost, I was able to program the doorbell when pushed to stop playing any music in the house, lower the volume on the TV, and display who is at the door on my Echo Show. Just plain cool.

Thank you all for reading and again, Happy Thanksgiving.