5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 64657

I made the object size much smaller.... should be MORE sensitive and easily triggered.... but it didn't GET triggered for some reason.

EDIT--- can't mess with it any more--- leaving overnight. I killed the substream on that cam for now...

btw--- that took my CPU up to 40%+ with 2 4mp cams running full res. and 4 other cams running substream
So are you having BI pull the cam triggers over into BI? If not, then check what the make time is in BI - 1 second doesn't seem like a lot, but that could be it. Or maybe some issue going from the cam to BI in the substream.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d have thought to make the make time value lower, I have the make time on the cams in my driveway set to 0.6secs.

jc74

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally paid to renew my support for a year and upgraded to 5.2.9.19 and using substreams. I like the upgrade from 5.2.7.9 giving me the substream live video until the the full stream is up and running rather than a freeze on the substream.
Anyway, I've noticed an issue which seems to now affect all my cameras (Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU). It seems once it switches to the main stream (4MP), it stays fine for about 10 seconds and then occasionally the video is either dropping back to the substream or is just becoming very blocky. It will sometime randomly rectify itself.
Very oddlying I also get the same problems on the camera's direct web UI. I though perhaps my camera was broken, but the problem seems to occur on all my cameras.
Anyone else noticed this?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you get the same issue when viewing direct on the cam then it must be an issue with the cams themselves?

I’d start by changing things like h264/h265 etc and work your way through the options to see if things improve.

Another thing worth looking at is to ensure the substream is set to no lower than 5fps, I run all my substreams at 15fps.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Since enabling substreams I’ve noticed the following error message in the logs, anybody else seen the same error? The error has live.sem stuck as the text?

Adjustments.jpg

jc74

n3wb
Reaction score
If you get the same issue when viewing direct on the cam then it must be an issue with the cams themselves?

I’d start by changing things like h264/h265 etc and work your way through the options to see if things improve.

Another thing worth looking at is to ensure the substream is set to no lower than 5fps, I run all my substreams at 15fps.
I would have intuitively thought that but they've been running fine for several months, completely unchanged (no firmware updates etc) right up until I installed the latest version of BI last night. All cams are running h265 andeither 10 or 15fps (with substream and main stream both at same fps).
I've just noticed when it does happen, the camera's web UI's live stream gets flicked from '1' (mainstream) to '2' (substream).
I also notice this doesn't happen if I shutdown Blueiris....!

Just to add it's stopped happening after a restart of Blueiris... I'll keep an eye on it...!

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would have intuitively thought that but they've been running fine for several months, completely unchanged (no firmware updates etc) right up until I installed the latest version of BI last night. All cams are running h265 andeither 10 or 15fps (with substream and main stream both at same fps).
I've just noticed when it does happen, the camera's web UI's live stream gets flicked from '1' (mainstream) to '2' (substream).
I also notice this doesn't happen if I shutdown Blueiris....!

Just to add it's stopped happening after a restart of Blueiris... I'll keep an eye on it...!
Sub-streams is still relatively new, could be a bug in Blue Iris, you should probably report it to support just to make sure he is aware of the issue.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have my cams set to take a pic every 10 minutes. The pic is a shitty substream pic now instead of a shot from the main stream. Where/How do I change that so I get some nice crisp full-res images?
I think this is likely a dumb question but would cloning a camera work for this?

Last edited:

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've seen that error show up when my Pixel 2 connects with the Android BI app. It's random and happens infrequently, doesn't seem to correlate to any problem with the app accessing BI though.

I haven't reported it since it's not causing me any grief. Besides that, I haven't heard back from Ken on a different issue that I report last week. Either his email is broken again, or he's too busy dealing with more important bugs. Or maybe's he's taking a well deserved break...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems once it switches to the main stream (4MP), it stays fine for about 10 seconds and then occasionally the video is either dropping back to the substream or is just becoming very blocky. It will sometime randomly rectify itself.
Very oddlying I also get the same problems on the camera's direct web UI. I though perhaps my camera was broken, but the problem seems to occur on all my cameras.
Anyone else noticed this?
That is pretty odd. It sounds like the main stream is probably getting dropped often. Maybe the camera is getting overloaded. It is also possible the camera only got a 10 Mbps LAN connection if it is on a particularly long or damaged cable.

It is important for the sub stream to have the same frame rate as the main stream. Particularly if the sub stream is lower, the main stream will be stuck at the lower rate in some cases -- I think it only affects live view but I can't be sure.

Since enabling substreams I’ve noticed the following error message in the logs, anybody else seen the same error? The error has live.sem stuck as the text?

View attachment 64712
Yes, I started getting that in the last version or two, about the same time a different error message went away. I wonder if Ken just changed the message and it is the same error. I have not reported this one to him.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on .19 and while substreams seem to work I have noticed two problems. I have a clone of a T5442TM-AS. The main stream runs at 15FPS/15iframe with an 8192 CBR. The substream runs at 15FPS/15iframe with a 1024 CBR. If I try to play an alert from the clone the BI console crashes. I have other cloned cameras, 2MP, and have no problem with those.

The other thing I notice is that motion detection just isn't what it should be, or was, prior to enabling substreams. I just went out and came back, driving up and down the driveway to do so. Two clones should have caught that movement since I drive an F150 Super Crew. One clone, an HFW4231E-S 2MP, did catch the exit but missed the entrance and the 5442 missed both. The 4231 is set up, basically, the same way as the 5442 in terms of streaming. I've been fooling with the detection zones and sensitivity trying to get things working, as it did prior to substreams, but haven't had any luck.

I know, the cure is revert back and shut down substreams but I like the reduced load on the BI machine.

Reaction score
So are you having BI pull the cam triggers over into BI? If not, then check what the make time is in BI - 1 second doesn't seem like a lot, but that could be it. Or maybe some issue going from the cam to BI in the substream.
No-- I have BI doing object detection to trigger recording. That was pretty damn reliable using the 1 second trigger time prior to the substream switch. The critical areas are Hot-Zoned -- Doens't that HotZone ignore the 1 second threshold? I COULD have one of my front cams designated as the "trigger" cam and start recording on the entire Front group of cams... the experimentation continues.
So--- do most people use motion detection within the CAMERA to signal BI to record? Or do most use BI object/motion detection (as I am). I imagine if that function was farmed out to each camera, it would reduce CPU needs for BI. @fenderman-- Curious what you think about this...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is interesting how some have no problem with the substreams and others do!

I let BI do the object/motion detection and no issues with version .18

I did recognize when I made the jump to the versions with substream that I had to go in to each camera and make sure the motion settings were correct. Some seemed to go to default settings, some seemed to carry over the main stream settings, and some not sure LOL. But after I went into the motion settings for each camera running substreams and ensuring it was what I wanted or changing it, then it has been fine since. I noticed that it will hold different motion settings for the substream and different motion settings for the mainstream, but it will use substream for the motion detection if you have substream enabled.

Reaction score
It is interesting how some have no problem with the substreams and others do!

I let BI do the object/motion detection and no issues with version .18

I did recognize when I made the jump to the versions with substream that I had to go in to each camera and make sure the motion settings were correct. Some seemed to go to default settings, some seemed to carry over the main stream settings, and some not sure LOL. But after I went into the motion settings for each camera running substreams and ensuring it was what I wanted or changing it, then it has been fine since. I noticed that it will hold different motion settings for the substream and different motion settings for the mainstream, but it will use substream for the motion detection if you have substream enabled.
yes-- I posted a screenshot of my zones on one camera, and detection failed with a vehicle pulling into my driveway. You can tell by the size of the grid it is based on the substream. No trigger. hmmmm.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sdkid - are you running simple or edge vector? I had to switch mine to simple. And make sure you don't have too large of an area for # of pixels. I don't use object detection feature because it was missing a lot in my situations. What is make time?

Reaction score
@sdkid - are you running simple or edge vector? I had to switch mine to simple. And make sure you don't have too large of an area for # of pixels. I don't use object detection feature because it was missing a lot in my situations. What is make time?
OK---- I did not try simple, which is more like V4.x detection. I will give that a try. I

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No-- I have BI doing object detection to trigger recording. That was pretty damn reliable using the 1 second trigger time prior to the substream switch. The critical areas are Hot-Zoned -- Doens't that HotZone ignore the 1 second threshold? I COULD have one of my front cams designated as the "trigger" cam and start recording on the entire Front group of cams... the experimentation continues.
So--- do most people use motion detection within the CAMERA to signal BI to record? Or do most use BI object/motion detection (as I am). I imagine if that function was farmed out to each camera, it would reduce CPU needs for BI. @fenderman-- Curious what you think about this...
Typically, BI motion detection works better than in camera motion. But all bets are off when using these BETA test versions. Be sure to let Ken know of any issues.
Note****if you have a new AI capable camera, I have a 5442 that I am using the IVS trip wire set for humans, and it's heads and shoulders better than BI motion, as it gets NO false trips.