2nd Amendment thread

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was born & raised in northern Illinois. Moved down here to the great south east about 32 years ago. Everything down here is "Coke". Wut kinda coke do you want, darlin? Coke, diet coke, Pepsi, Mt. Dew, 7-up or arnge drink? I do remember buying Vernors when I lived up there.
No love for Grape Draink?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was born & raised in northern Illinois. Moved down here to the great south east about 32 years ago. Everything down here is "Coke". Wut kinda coke do you want, darlin? Coke, diet coke, Pepsi, Mt. Dew, 7-up or arnge drink? I do remember buying Vernors when I lived up there.
And oftentimes the word "drink" is pronounced "drank", much like "Miss Smith will now SANG for ya'll." :lol:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
And oftentimes the word "drink" is pronounced "drank", much like "Miss Smith will now SANG for ya'll." :lol:
I am still pondering which came first: The hose or the pipe? Took me about a month after I moved here to realize that my neighbor asking me to hand him the hose pipe, was him actually asking me to hand him the garden hose. He sure gave me some dumb looks when I was searching around his yard for a pipe with a hose attached to it.....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still pondering which came first: The hose or the pipe? Took me about a month after I moved here to realize that my neighbor asking me to hand him the hose pipe, was him actually asking me to hand him the garden hose. He sure gave me some dumb looks when I was searching around his yard for a pipe with a hose attached to it.....
Haven't heard that one ("hose pipe") before in GA, MS or AL...may be a very regional colloquialism, confined to something as small as a family and their relatives.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying to limit the amount of crucifying of the southern dialect, while still trying to convey my hidden agenda......... :rofl:
I hear ya.
I was born and raised in GA. Did two 9 month tours hemmed up with a guy from NJ and and a guy from MI; after 2 years I had them saying "y'all" and "I reckon", I wasn't saying "youse guys" and the like.

This is because it's much easier to speak southern...just pretend you've been to the dentist and have been given a couple of Lidocaine shots! :winktongue:
Now take a very rural southern guy that's just consumed a case of beer in 2 hours and even I myself may need an interpreter...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got this e-mail from the NRA today and though I'd share.There's a PDF of it attached but here's the text:
_

"Dear NRA member,
Below is the NRA's response to President Biden's call for more gun control sent along for your information.
There has never been a more crucial time to be an NRA member and to be on the frontlines of this unprecedented fight to preserve our freedom and our right. Please be assured that your NRA will fight every gun ban and any effort to curtail the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.
We will be keeping NRA members informed of latest developments through the NRA-ILA website: http://www.nraila.org
We are grateful for your continued support.
Thank you.
Wayne
The NRA is made up of millions of law-abiding men and women. We are parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, whose hearts break every time a crime is committed or tragedy occurs. We grieve with all of America, regardless of party or political affiliation because these are human tragedies, not political opportunities.
The National Rifle Association of America supports substantive policies and real solutions that will make a difference. Policies that will not only address these tragic and evil acts that dominate the headlines, but also the catastrophic loss of life that happens too often as a direct consequence of the current crime epidemic that plagues our nation.
The NRA has long supported securing our schools so that our teachers and children will be safe. We support strict enforcement of all our nation's laws that target violent criminals. We support prosecution and punishment of criminals who break these laws. Indeed, the NRA supports the arrest, prosecution and punishment of any violent criminal or other dangerous prohibited person who tries to purchase or possess a firearm.
We support fully funding law-enforcement agencies. And, we wholeheartedly support the right of any law-abiding American to defend themselves and their loved ones. Even though it's rarely reported, more than a million law abiding Americans use firearms in self-defense every year - most without ever firing a shot. What we don't support are senseless policies like no-cash bail that create a revolving door justice system that only endangers good citizens. And, we will fight any proposal that will disarm law-abiding Americans.
And, America does have a critical mental health crisis. Many are sick, too few people are able to recognize their illness, and even less get help. The sad reality is there are too few resources for those who need it. Over the last 60 years, the number of beds available at psychiatric hospitals in America has dropped by 96 percent. In 1955, there were an estimated 340 beds per 100,000 people with mental health illnesses. In 2016, that number fell to 11.7 beds per 100,000 people. We must find a way to reach these people before they hurt themselves or others. And, we must fund places for these people to find refuge and treatment.
But, instead of acting on functional measures and real solutions that when implemented will reduce crime and will help those with dangerous behavioral health issues, all that the President repeatedly proposes will only infringe on the rights of those law-abiding who have never, and will never, commit a crime. This isn't a real solution, it isn't true leadership, and it isn't what America needs.
And, that's a shame."

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good letter, poor leadership.

This is my last year, I’ll not be renewing and while I hate to see my certs go away, I don’t see needing them any longer anyway.

Much like the Republican Party I left in Jan ‘21, after 40 some years I’m at that age where I’m done with the fantasy of either of those organizations. With the money I save, I can buy a couple of good bottles of Knob Creek single barrel.

In Wayne’s words, That’s a shame.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got this e-mail from the NRA today and though I'd share.There's a PDF of it attached but here's the text:
_

"Dear NRA member,
Below is the NRA's response to President Biden's call for more gun control sent along for your information.
There has never been a more crucial time to be an NRA member and to be on the frontlines of this unprecedented fight to preserve our freedom and our right. Please be assured that your NRA will fight every gun ban and any effort to curtail the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.
We will be keeping NRA members informed of latest developments through the NRA-ILA website: http://www.nraila.org
We are grateful for your continued support.
Thank you.
Wayne
The NRA is made up of millions of law-abiding men and women. We are parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, whose hearts break every time a crime is committed or tragedy occurs. We grieve with all of America, regardless of party or political affiliation because these are human tragedies, not political opportunities.
The National Rifle Association of America supports substantive policies and real solutions that will make a difference. Policies that will not only address these tragic and evil acts that dominate the headlines, but also the catastrophic loss of life that happens too often as a direct consequence of the current crime epidemic that plagues our nation.
The NRA has long supported securing our schools so that our teachers and children will be safe. We support strict enforcement of all our nation's laws that target violent criminals. We support prosecution and punishment of criminals who break these laws. Indeed, the NRA supports the arrest, prosecution and punishment of any violent criminal or other dangerous prohibited person who tries to purchase or possess a firearm.
We support fully funding law-enforcement agencies. And, we wholeheartedly support the right of any law-abiding American to defend themselves and their loved ones. Even though it's rarely reported, more than a million law abiding Americans use firearms in self-defense every year - most without ever firing a shot. What we don't support are senseless policies like no-cash bail that create a revolving door justice system that only endangers good citizens. And, we will fight any proposal that will disarm law-abiding Americans.
And, America does have a critical mental health crisis. Many are sick, too few people are able to recognize their illness, and even less get help. The sad reality is there are too few resources for those who need it. Over the last 60 years, the number of beds available at psychiatric hospitals in America has dropped by 96 percent. In 1955, there were an estimated 340 beds per 100,000 people with mental health illnesses. In 2016, that number fell to 11.7 beds per 100,000 people. We must find a way to reach these people before they hurt themselves or others. And, we must fund places for these people to find refuge and treatment.
But, instead of acting on functional measures and real solutions that when implemented will reduce crime and will help those with dangerous behavioral health issues, all that the President repeatedly proposes will only infringe on the rights of those law-abiding who have never, and will never, commit a crime. This isn't a real solution, it isn't true leadership, and it isn't what America needs.
And, that's a shame."
I stopped supporting the NRA when they stopped supporting me. In 2011, the Oklahoma rifle association, the official state affiliate of the NRA, came out against open carry in Oklahoma and the NRA sat back and said nothing. Years later, I decided screw it and renewed my membership again, and rinse and repeat the same situation with Constitutional carry in 2018. It just really irks me when even supposed pro gun organizations scream "there will be blood in the streets" "we will go back to being the wild west" and all that crap, and the group that's supposed to stand up to that BS rhetoric sits back and collects cash while saying nothing. When I emailed the NRA about it, telling them to stand up the ORA and shut them down, they did write back, just to tell me that, and it's been a while so I'm paraphrasing here, "can't be bothered with those small things at the state level".

The NRA actually stopped calling me for money for a while after I told them exactly why I chose to stop supporting them, but they've started again. The sad reality is they know they need anti-gun laws on the books, and they need the push for more restrictive gun laws, because without someone to "fight", they are through.

It does still make me mad when I see politicians say "we need to stand up to the NRA" like it's some entity that stands on it's own, while they ignore the fact that the lobbying power of the NRA comes from sheer amount of people that support them and vote based on 2A rights. I was so happy when I paid for my own membership with money I made from mowing yards when I was 13. I was proud I was doing something to help gun rights. I think the faith and optimism I had for them is a big part of why it bothered me so much when they let me down here in Oklahoma.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I mowed lots of yards in Warr Acres! I can't remember the amount of times I
"ran a car at the US 66 raceway" in front of Micky Dee's.