2nd Amendment thread

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Moms demand action.....shills on Bloomberg's payroll, even tho Shannon Watts denies it, even after being seen numerous times getting into and out of vehicles registered to Bloomberg.
Thanks to our Reps for their hard work on this bill the past 3 years.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Comments by the police are disturbing.

Yeah, we can’t have everyday citizens defending themselves! Just call the police and wait for them to come draw the white chalk line around the body.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee this morning held a work session on Senate Bill 554, which would allow public bodies to prohibit concealed weapons permit holders from bringing their guns into public buildings.

Once again the democrat "representatives" are trying to thwart the will of the people they represent. They do this time after time, yet still keep getting elected. Other examples are tax limits imposed by a statewide vote that they work around. A statewide vote said no driver licenses for illegals and they went ahead and found a way to do it anyway. Is it even worth it to vote?
As Lawmakers Entertain Bill Banning Concealed Guns in Public Buildings, Gun Purchases Soar

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Fortunately some states are being proactive:

Texas and Alabama
Texas And Alabama Introduce Bills To Block Biden’s Gun Control Agenda
Totall confused by the US system. How can a state refuse to enforce a law by the Government? Surely Government law over rides state law, otherwise why would you have a Government?

I lived in the UK before coming to the US, and I'll never go back to a country with no guns.

You are completely powerless to defend yourself there. Its crazy
Maybe it's because I live in a good neighbourhood. However, even when going into places like town centres in over 50yrs of living here I've never once been mugged, robbed or otherwise been a victim of crime. Nor do I know of anyone who has. Gun crime is all but non existent. Some gun and Knife crime exists but mainly in London or bad neighbourhoods and mainly between criminals. Sometimes muggings but I've never known anyone who's been subject to one. Whereas I wouldn't go so far as to say you can leave your door unsecured, there are some burglaries, the odd burglary aside, crime is pretty much non existent for most people in better areas in the UK. I'd say 99.9% of the UK population have never even seen a gun in real life. Even in bad areas, the chances of being threatened with a weapon are slim. London is the exception due to gangs but even then the chances in London are still low.

Also, guns are not non existent, they're just very restricted and cannot be held for self defence only sporting and pest control reasons. Handguns are all but banned - long barrel allowed for target shooting (12 inches barrel and 24 inches overall minimum so read rifle in disguise) and some exceptions for gamekeepers and vets for humane dispatch using usually single shot normal pistols.

Whilst technically a legally held rifle / shotgun held for other reasons, could be used for self defence, it would be very unwise to do so unless life and death as the UK laws on self defence are very weak. There are several cases where householders using weapons to defend themselves have been sent to prison.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
How can a state refuse to enforce a law by the Government? Surely Government law over rides state law, otherwise why would you have a Government?
I think it's a matter of who's the bigger bully, how willing either side is to start a war of sorts, and resources. Take a federally mandated speed limit as an example. The police authorities in the state can choose to not enforce it. The feds don't have the resources to enforce it themselves. The federal government could choose to punish the state in some way or another, which is where the war of sorts could begin. The democrat run states have had a long run of not enforcing immigration law, and even encouraging breaking the laws and protecting the offenders. The new chatter is just extending the same principle to other federal laws or edicts.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I love the UK and it's culture. But your quote is why I would never live there.
In the UK you have no need for a gun as there's no threat. As I've said I've never known anyone in 50+yrs get threatened with either a knife or a gun. It does happen. It's just rare and restricted to 1 or 2 bad areas of cities and even then mostly between gangs or drug dealers not ordinary citizens. As an ordinary citizen in the UK in most areas, the chances of you being home invaded are near zero as is the threat of being attacked with a weapon. Murders are rare in the UK as well and usually between people who know each other ie the result of domestic violence / domestic murder suicide or criminal activity. Very few random people are murdered over here and it's usually young women in sexual assaults or again gang related stabbings usaully in very bad neighbourshoods that are out of the way and where the average person would never ever go. I love your freedom to own, just think sometimes the issues you have the freedoms are related. Maybe there's freedom to own and freedom to own and one version is just a little too free for all.

I agree and I'm not against ownership or self defence. However, the statement above whilst illustrating the point about it being in-animate also illustrates the problem in the US, very little control over who has one. I know you good guys like that. However, the criminals like it too. One of the reasons the UK is so safe is because the few guns legally held are all in the hands of people who've been extensively background checked and vetted making incidents involving legally held weapons very rare indeed.

A good example of the difference in safety beween the UK and US in keeping guns amongst the vetted is the UK has had 1 school shooting in 25 years (1996) and none before then.

The US has had 779 since 2000 and nearly another 700 before then making nearly 1,500 in the same time period.

The difference is probably down to vetting and safekeeping requirements.

I think it's a matter of who's the bigger bully, how willing either side is to start a war of sorts, and resources. Take a federally mandated speed limit as an example. The police authorities in the state can choose to not enforce it. The feds don't have the resources to enforce it themselves. The federal government could choose to punish the state in some way or another, which is where the war of sorts could begin. The democrat run states have had a long run of not enforcing immigration law, and even encouraging breaking the laws and protecting the offenders. The new chatter is just extending the same principle to other federal laws or edicts.
Different situation in the UK from the sounds of it as what the UK Government rules applies automatically over any local Government and they have to obey it. Local Government over here cannot make laws. They can only apply powers devolved to them by central Government I'm guessing your state situation is more like our relationship with Wales or Scotland where they have Parliaments with powers to pass laws, albeit again in the UK the amount of power they have is limited. I'm guessing your states have more latitude in what laws they can make.

Last edited: