2021 April Dahua Full Color Camera

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is that 4 LED white lights on that beast or IR or both?
Double light sources can't use large-aperture lenses, and there will be no better colors at night.
Full color can use F1.0, Infrared light need use F1.4~F1.6.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha just this one I have, later when I get some more will let you know. Good light place looks great, I haven’t test at low light place. With led on I think still can get a good pic. But not everyone is led fan. Lol
Hi Andy, when you get the data sheet for this camera please post it. Thanks

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't kept up on the hikvision 1/1.2" colourvu cameras. What is the consensus on their night time performance vs a 5442? With that size of sensor it must be pretty close?

In my quick search it looked like the hikvision version is about $200-$250?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I hear great things about them but haven’t seen much footage of night color with human movement ... I’m guessing with white light LEDs they’ll look good as would most cameras with white LEDs .... ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With any light at all, the Hik looks really good. But like any camera, it does need light. And the little LED lights on them are more gimmicky and most run it with the LED off as the picture usually looks worse. Those that have posted with street lights and the camera looks great.

Comparing the Hik to the 5442 isn't a straight up comparison as the sensor sizes and resolution are different, so the real test will be this new Dahua with the same resolution and sensor size as the Hik.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With any light at all, the Hik looks really good. But like any camera, it does need light. And the little LED lights on them are more gimmicky and most run it with the LED off as the picture usually looks worse. Those that have posted with street lights and the camera looks great.

Comparing the Hik to the 5442 isn't a straight up comparison as the sensor sizes and resolution are different, so the real test will be this new Dahua with the same resolution and sensor size as the Hik.
Ya I know it's not a direct comparison, but alot of my cameras go in rural areas with very little ambient lighting, so I'm always looking to get the best image with as little light as possible.

My concern isn't how well dahua or hikvision can implement the same sensor in low light conditions. I really don't care about that. My concern is about getting the best image quality with motion in very low lighting situations. And if that's done with a 2mp 1/2.8" sensor, a 4mp 1/1.8" or a 8mp 1/1.2" sensor doesn't matter to me. Obviously as high of a resolution as possible is best as long as it doesn't sacrifice night time performance.

The 2mp 1/2.8" sensor was my go to until the 5442 came out. Now the 4mp 1/1.8" sensor is my go to. I'm wondering if the 8mp 1/1.2" will be that next jump. My hunch is no, but it will be good to see some more detailed comparisons.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is also a 2MP with the 1/1.8" sensor. That should work pretty well in low light. Unfortunately I haven't seen any videos of it and, if I remember correctly, it's a higher end camera for LPR and commercial applications. @EMPIRETECANDY

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I hear great things about them but haven’t seen much footage of night color with human movement ... I’m guessing with white light LEDs they’ll look good as would most cameras with white LEDs .... ?

These clips are from my Colorvu (DS-2CD2087G2-LU-4MM).

Street is lit, I have my left camera set @ 1/300 to capture vehicle details (wheel pattern and little stickers, etc, better to ID vehicles) and I have the one pointing right @ 1/75 to capture a little more light but less detail due to blur.

Both are set at 3072x1728 20 FPS H265 - No sup white light, i don't want the attention and honestly its more of a hinderance

Left cam catpures:

Right cam capture:

I've not tested these a lot, just dialed them in to what meets my current needs.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ya, I really want to see a 4MP 1/1.8" Sensor cam and a 8MP 1/1.2" sensor cam, go head to head in the same spot.

From those videos above it looks like there is lots of ambient lighting available which will help.

I messaged Andy to see if there is any chance to get my hands on one. I have a wall of cameras mounted in a pitch dark location, so I can do a good apples/apples test in incredibly low light conditions. There are so many variables when you are comparing different videos, its tough to compare two different cameras unless they are mounted in the exact same spot and the same time of day/lighting conditions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here was a comparison someone did...can go back and forth thru that thread to see some variations.

I have a Full Color type camera and the LED light on it is a gimmick. It helps for a small diameter circle, but it is no different than going outside at pitch black and turning on your cell phone light - it is bright looking directly at the LED light, but it doesn't spread out and reach very far. Fortunately I have enough ambient light that I do not need the little piddly LED light on and the picture quality actually looks worse with it on, but it performs better than my other cameras when tested at the same location due to my available flood light. But without some light, a camera with infrared capability is the safer bet. Many here with the camera with the LED light on it do not use it for the very same reason - it's dispersion is not very far and doesn't light up near as well as putting a floodlight up.

So unless you have streetlights or flood lights, I would go with the camera that has infrared capabilities if you need it.

Here is my Full Color Dahua at night in a pitch black location. So with this 1/120 shutter speed, I wanted to see if the camera could perform with only the LED white light from the camera. As you can see from this video, it barely recognized me at these settings. You would need to run 1/30 shutter with just the LED light of the camera to be able to start to make a person out, but the image is way too dark and is a motion blur.

The average Joe will not spend the time to calibrate and will just leave the settings on auto and love the great still image they get and then just accept a blur/ghost motion at night. When do we need these to perform - at night!

Keep in mind that with the shutter at auto, it is a nice bright image, but motion was a blur...once you dial the camera in to actually be usable and get an image that the police can actually do something with, you see the limitations...

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The key with the full color cams will be dialing in correctly for the location and then testing motion within that. As we all know it’s not worth sacrificing image cap of critical targets just to have full color. A lot of the manufacturer tests / demos look terrible TBH as you see motion blur, frame smearing, artifacting and a ton of noise that’s not mitigated but…….it’s in color :) I’d like to put these cams through a test in different light conditions (artificial and ambient) and then compare against 5x42/7x42 in same environment.
Then identify optimal, ‘usable’ and not usable lighting requirements to truly show where these can/should be used vs not.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here was a comparison someone did...can go back and forth thru that thread to see some variations.

I have a Full Color type camera and the LED light on it is a gimmick. It helps for a small diameter circle, but it is no different than going outside at pitch black and turning on your cell phone light - it is bright looking directly at the LED light, but it doesn't spread out and reach very far. Fortunately I have enough ambient light that I do not need the little piddly LED light on and the picture quality actually looks worse with it on, but it performs better than my other cameras when tested at the same location due to my available flood light. But without some light, a camera with infrared capability is the safer bet. Many here with the camera with the LED light on it do not use it for the very same reason - it's dispersion is not very far and doesn't light up near as well as putting a floodlight up.

So unless you have streetlights or flood lights, I would go with the camera that has infrared capabilities if you need it.

Here is my Full Color Dahua at night in a pitch black location. So with this 1/120 shutter speed, I wanted to see if the camera could perform with only the LED white light from the camera. As you can see from this video, it barely recognized me at these settings. You would need to run 1/30 shutter with just the LED light of the camera to be able to start to make a person out, but the image is way too dark and is a motion blur.

The average Joe will not spend the time to calibrate and will just leave the settings on auto and love the great still image they get and then just accept a blur/ghost motion at night. When do we need these to perform - at night!

Keep in mind that with the shutter at auto, it is a nice bright image, but motion was a blur...once you dial the camera in to actually be usable and get an image that the police can actually do something with, you see the limitations...

Yes, I did see that comparison, but I would rather have the two cams with the same FOV. It is immediately apples/oranges when you have one fixed lens, one varifocal, and then both of them at different FOV's.

I do have an IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED mounted right beside my IPC-T5442TM-AS, and I agree, the white LED is not that great. Personally, I am more interested in IR Cams, it just seems these initial batches of 8MP 1/1.2" cams are only coming with White LED Full Colour versions. Hopefully an IR LED version comes out soon, that is the real interesting one to me.