2 router set up problem

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can anyone help me please im trying to set this setup for 10 days ..i have isp router modem +asus router
when i call my cs isp provider to put their router modem combo in bridge mode i loose internet ..before they put their router in bridge mode i have internet .. am i doing something wrong or is it on their side ....

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and ass soon it is in bridge mode i got different settings compared to this pic (forgot to take pic) that it is disconected and all values on right column are 0.0.0.0

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the ISP router does not provide any DHCP services.
I'd say, guessing a bit, that you need to find out from the ISP router what the assigned WAN IP is when in bridge mode, so that you can manually configure this in the ASUS router.
And, guessing again, the ASUS router connection type should probably be Ethernet.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks .. my isp router have DHCP service i will try to turn it off before i call cs isp to put router modem combo in bridge mode wap ip is changing constantly i assume ..

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you trying to use an Asus router as an access point? If so, set your Asus router to whatever the local IP of your ISP router is +1, so if your ISP router is 192.168.1.1 set Asus to 192.168.1.2. In your ISP router, keep DHCP enabled and set the IP Pool to start at 192.168.1.3. Change your Asus router to be in "Access Point (AP) Mode" via the "Administration" tab and make sure your WiFi credentials are the same on each router (SSID, PW, WPA Encryption), but use opposite wireless channels on each router. Connect the Asus router from ISP router to a LAN port on the asus router (not WAN) and you should be set. From there you can plug directly into the Asus router and have boosted wifi.

FYI most routers that I have seen provided by ISP's are junk. If you can, scrap it and buy another Asus router instead.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh man, I don't know who I feel more sorry for, the OP or the ISP.

Edit: Definitely feel more sorry for the OP. Internet providers should be smart enough to give him full setup instructions if they are putting his modem into bridge mode.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx mike and bp2008...
i wanna use asus as router for vpn and dahua cameras and nvr so i can see them remotely ...and use isp router modem combo only as modem ...
@bp2008 yes isp should do that and its business line and net and also have 9 paid subscription to 9 cellphones ,and i dnt even have fck cellphone signal on my work place ..basically they say FY, you are on you own

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After you turn on the bridge mode you should dial with another device, router or even PC. Depending on ISP you should select PPPoE, Cable or whatever else

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Bridge mode is supposed to deal with whatever protocol they use for internet delivery and just give you ordinary ethernet IP networking. My ISP uses DHCP which makes it pretty much plug and play once the modem is in bridge mode. But other ISPs use static IP addressing and then you need to know which one you've been assigned so you can enter that info into your own router's WAN configuration.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx com4 @ bp2008 i will give it a try tomorrow and day after all day to try to get it working ..i even called cs from isp to tell me what custom modem i can buy and they told me look on internet we don't know ???

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
tried yesterday all day and it just wont work :banghead::banghead: ..when i try to make connection i got pppoe error 651 on w7 32b ..ive tried 20 times resenting asus on factory default and no luck ...
lat week i connected 2 routers and it worked untill my isp swiched first modem router in bridge mode ..it was combo router modem 192.168.1.1 and asus on 192.168.2.1 .question when put in bridge mode my asus is on 192.168.1.1 if that is correct ? so yesterday i started clean ,connect to isp router 192.168.1.1 ,turn of wifi and dhcp ,called isp cs to swich to bridge mode (check with them that are my login and isp passw.correct) pluged ausus router to was port blue
typed 192.168.1.1 log in to router asus, quick connect settings put my credentials from isp loggin passw ,and getting invalid account or passw. message ,after pressing next few times it accept passw and account ...going back to main menu i got this message again inwalid account or passw..

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx everyone it work finnaly..problem was my isp cs give me wrong name ,and i made again vpn and ddns :)

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From my own experience, tech support of pretty much all companies are totally clueless.

Right now I'm having problems with a cellular ISP who was supposed to provide me with 12 permanent IPs but what they have actually done is linked my accounts to temporary pool and marked it as permanent, or something like that, dunno really, and they don't know either.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk