1/3" CMOS @ 4 MP versus 1/2.7 @ 5 MP - I have questions

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A few tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor.

You are looking at 3 budget cams, which use lessor quality material and sensors to sell a MP that the uninformed general public thinks they want. As an example, unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). Starlight, ColorVu, Full Color, etc. are simply marketing terms, so don't be sold on those names.

Sensor sizing can confuse a lot of people LOL.

It is simple division:

1 divided by 3 equals 0.333

1 divided by 2.8 equals 0.357

Is a 1/2.8" sensor bigger than a 1/1.8" sensor? Most people say yes LOL. But it is a fraction, so the 1/1.8" sensor is the bigger of the two.

This applies to camera sensors too LOL:

View attachment 115403

The 3 cameras you reference above are considered budget cameras. The 2431 will only be recommended for those on a super tight budget, but for not much more a better 2MP or the 4MP 5442 series would be the better bet. The dome should be avoided for outdoors - you get glare, rain drops that stick to it, dust, etc.

Stay away from those 5MP. Ideal sensor size is:

2MP = 1/2.8"
4MP = 1/1.8"
8MP = 1/1.2"

So simply doing a ratio, a 5MP would need a 1/1.65" sensor to be comparable, and we just do not see a 5MP on a sensor any larger than 1/2.7".

A 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor will kick the but of your 3 referenced cameras all night long. That 4MP will need over double the light of the 2MP at night.

How many of the reviews that you saw on those 5MP cameras were based on motion at night? Any camera can be made to give a great static image and all the Amazon reviews on those cameras are based on that.

The budget cam will make for an ok overview camera, but you shouldn't expect IDENTIFY capabilities from it in most instances.
There are also other available sensor sizes, which are bigger and i believe thus better.
5MP/8MP cmos. (5MP=2/3")
I'm new with this stuff, so i would be glad if someone could approve that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Show us a 5MP model on an ideal sensor or larger...are you sure it isn't a 1/3" sensor, which is only good for 0.8MP not 5MP or 8MP, yet many cameras do just that.

See this thread.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
which are bigger and i believe thus better.
Can you define what is ‘better’? Trying to understand what camera you own and have used at night with motion that is better than many of the cameras that have been recommended on this forum.

Also, I am not familiar with a 2/3 security camera sensor size. Not saying it does not exist, just asking if you can send me a link as I haven’t seen a camera with one of those (to the best of my knowledge). Short of some full frame 2 thousand dollar setups I have only seen that size on SLR cameras. Thanks.

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Show us a 5MP model on an ideal sensor or larger...are you sure it isn't a 1/3" sensor, which is only good for 0.8MP not 5MP or 8MP, yet many cameras do just that.

See this thread.

hi,
Again, I might be wrong - therfore I was asked for someone to approve it.
Please look at this link:
look for "image sensor".

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you define what is ‘better’? Trying to understand what camera you own and have used at night with motion that is better than many of the cameras that have been recommended on this forum.

Also, I am not familiar with a 2/3 security camera sensor size. Not saying it does not exist, just asking if you can send me a link as I haven’t seen a camera with one of those (to the best of my knowledge). Short of some full frame 2 thousand dollar setups I have only seen that size on SLR cameras. Thanks.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Must be a before coffee thing, but I don’t see sensor size listed anywhere. So not sure what thoughts I have on it.

Do you like the night time movement performance of that camera?

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Must be a before coffee thing, but I don’t see sensor size listed anywhere. So not sure what thoughts I have on it.

Do you like the night time movement performance of that camera?
I don't have it, just considering buyig it - so I can't tyell about my experience.
see the attached file.

Attachments

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That’s fine, but without sensor size there is not much for me to comment on. I see the flyer list it as a 5MP sensor, but that is sensor density and has nothing to do with sensor size. Probably just overlooking where the sensor size is specified!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a CVI, composite video information, camera in the "Lite" series. Look at the minimum illumination spec of .001 LUX. A 5442, 4MP camera and a PoE camera, has a minimum LUX rating of .002. The spec saying 5MP for the sensor says nothing about how big it is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt they are putting a premium sensor in a CVI camera and the Lux rating proves it. Saying 5MP CMOS says nothing about the size.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Swanns and Night Owl bread & butter are the analog CVI tech. Can't beat $300 for 8 cameras and a DVR lol.

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I doubt they are putting a premium sensor in a CVI camera and the Lux rating proves it. Saying 5MP CMOS says nothing about the size.
Any recommendations about an indoor cvi camera, which is have a quality picture at night? (Can be monochrome)
Cvi, because i want to use the exist infrastructure.

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any recommendations about a cvi camera, which is have a quality picture at night? (Can be monochrome)
Cvi, because i want to use the exist infrastructure.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This thread has flipped from poe to cvi (and I don't even know what that is) so I cannot assist. You will find a good camera I am sure!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
CVI means a camera that uses Siamese cable. A coax for the video and a pair of conductors for the power. Their advantage is that they are real time and do not have the inherent delay of an IP camera. Their disadvantage is that they're old tech an not being developed with updated sensor and features. The only real exception is cameras used in vehicles and some industrial settings where real time video is critical.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The specs don't read well and the cable pulling sounds painful. But no lag is some kind of win I guess.
Thanks for the breakdown on cvi cameras