YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agree: no poe. The price is higher 20 dollars but it's valuable for louder sound.
No the Yoosee is only $65, whereas the Dahua is twice that.
I only use my doorbell cam for viewing and recording,, plus of course as a doorbell.
I do not use it as an intercom.

Reaction score
Here's another hikvision. Doesn't have POE though.

I have a DoorBird and it's okay. I wish it had more accurate motion detection, higher-resolution sensor. I leave the motion off because there are too many false detections so it's pretty much useless. My DoorBird was installed about 5 yrs ago so tech has changed a lot since then. It was definitely the best out there back then. I do love that when someone pushes the ring button, it's nearly instantaneous, definitely less than a second latency before it rings your phone. Five years ago to get that quick of a response was impossible, even from RING 1.0 which I had tested before DoorBird. Back then Ring took around 4-6 seconds to ring your phone and the video and audio delay was frustrating. I have my DoorBird set up with my Hikvision NVR and I'm unable to set motion detection zones nor do I have the ability to record audio. I do like that DoorBird app has free doorbell ring and motion snapshot history for like 7 days I think, I forget. Anything beyond that they charge you.

I don't like that the motion detection sensor is a plastic dome. That dome is crushed on mine because some people thought it was a button, a random neighbor has a DoorBird too and I noticed theirs is crushed too so it's definitely a poor design choice.

The two-way audio is okay. It's kind of hard to hear people but guests can hear me fine. You can adjust the volume of the speaker and mic but you run into the issue of feedback.

Last edited:

flurec

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the wall of text. If you don’t want to read my setup I do have some questions at the bottom.

I have had fun with setting up this camera, but am having some frustrations. I have ordered a second one to see if it fixes the complaints I have at the bottom.

First, here is my setup. It is easy to do and accomplishes most of what I want (alerts, integration and removing annoyances) when the camera works. It does require opening the doorbell to disconnect the speaker, to avoid the annoying sounds without blocking the WAN.

1. I wanted it tied to my mechanical chime, and also to create an alert in Home Assistant when the button is pushed.
2. I purchased this for $11 shipped. It has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Provide it power and it gives 2 independent channels and relays that can be triggered. As mentioned, select dip 5.
3. I linked both channels to the doorbell button. I like that the "ding-dong” length is dependent on how long the button is held.
4. On the second channel I connected an Insteon door open/close sensor to the contacts. Any sensor that provides for dry contacts will work. I get an alert when the button is pushed. I can have it send me an email and create automations in Home Assistant, Node Red, Tasker.
5. For fun I linked the RF signal to Bond which allows me to ring the chime whenever I want to mess with the kids. haha
6. As others have noted, the doorbell loses its time, if blocked from the internet, which is unacceptable to me. I do not care if the Chinese can see my front doorstep, so I allowed it through the WAN. What I could not tolerate was the ringing sound the doorbell makes. My mechanical chime can be heard at the front do so the sounds the doorbell makes sound odd. My easy solution is to disconnect the speaker internally. It is connected with a plug, so it can always be reconnected. With the speaker disconnected the visitor can hear my mechanical chime when the button is pushed. Of course you lose the ability to talk back to the doorbell, but I did not care about that.

------------------------------------------------

Want to do:
Integrate with Telegram via Node Red. It is very easy to send snapshots and video through Telegram to my phone from other cameras. I have not been able to do that reliably. To do this I need to have access to a snapshot url and ideally local files, which it does not have. Tinycam has this ability (record on motion and snapshot send via telegram and upload video) but it does not work with this camera because of it's constant instability.

Are those of you using Blue Iris able to use the snapshot function reliably? Record 24/7 reliably or is this a problem with my camera/tinycam?

Not to like:

SUPER FLAKY ETHERNET CONNECTION!-. This thing is super flaky and I cannot troubleshoot the problem. And to address those that might say I messed something up when I opened it- well that was actually the reason I opened it. When it is connected VLC is relatively stable. The problem is that after having it set up in my home for testing, for a week, it now does not stay connected for more than 24 hours. I have tried different power supplies, ethernet cables, long, short, next to the router, tested my cables, hooked up other devices to the same cables, moved it, wiggled it, rebooted, reset... I can’t even figure out why is disconnects. When it does it is completely invisible on my network (it has a static IP). Can’t be pinged but blue light shines out the back, so it is powered. I have disassembled it and retightened the connections. Then randomly I will plug it in and after 13 seconds hear a “click-click” and it will work. For a while…

-No snapshot url. This is frustrating. Having this would really simplify things. I do not have Blue Iris (I have tinycam pro). I believe this is possible in Home Assistant but the camera is not staying connected.
-CMS client- this is junk. I can’t even get it to allow me to see files on the memory card. I always get a “password error.” Even though I have reset my password and tried other things.
-IPC Test Tool- I can’t even get this to install. OK, I rebooted my computer and it works. Interface appears to be in Chinese.
-Local files- Since the CMS client won’t work then how do I access the files? I can open the Yoosee app on android and individually download them but there is no desktop access.

No browser interface. uhg

Tinycam pro does not stay connected for more than 10-15 minutes. I have not contacted the developer yet because I feel like the problem is related to the camera. VLC does stay connected… until the camera decides to drop off the network after 4 hours.

Any suggestions? Do I have a defective camera?

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the wall of text. If you don’t want to read my setup I do have some questions at the bottom.

I have had fun with setting up this camera, but am having some frustrations. I have ordered a second one to see if it fixes the complaints I have at the bottom.

First, here is my setup. It is easy to do and accomplishes most of what I want (alerts, integration and removing annoyances) when the camera works. It does require opening the doorbell to disconnect the speaker, to avoid the annoying sounds without blocking the WAN.

1. I wanted it tied to my mechanical chime, and also to create an alert in Home Assistant when the button is pushed.
2. I purchased this for $11 shipped. It has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Provide it power and it gives 2 independent channels and relays that can be triggered. As mentioned, select dip 5.
3. I linked both channels to the doorbell button. I like that the "ding-dong” length is dependent on how long the button is held.
4. On the second channel I connected an Insteon door open/close sensor to the contacts. Any sensor that provides for dry contacts will work. I get an alert when the button is pushed. I can have it send me an email and create automations in Home Assistant, Node Red, Tasker.
5. For fun I linked the RF signal to Bond which allows me to ring the chime whenever I want to mess with the kids. haha
6. As others have noted, the doorbell loses its time, if blocked from the internet, which is unacceptable to me. I do not care if the Chinese can see my front doorstep, so I allowed it through the WAN. What I could not tolerate was the ringing sound the doorbell makes. My mechanical chime can be heard at the front do so the sounds the doorbell makes sound odd. My easy solution is to disconnect the speaker internally. It is connected with a plug, so it can always be reconnected. With the speaker disconnected the visitor can hear my mechanical chime when the button is pushed. Of course you lose the ability to talk back to the doorbell, but I did not care about that.

------------------------------------------------

Want to do:
Integrate with Telegram via Node Red. It is very easy to send snapshots and video through Telegram to my phone from other cameras. I have not been able to do that reliably. To do this I need to have access to a snapshot url and ideally local files, which it does not have. Tinycam has this ability (record on motion and snapshot send via telegram and upload video) but it does not work with this camera because of it's constant instability.

Are those of you using Blue Iris able to use the snapshot function reliably? Record 24/7 reliably or is this a problem with my camera/tinycam?

Not to like:

SUPER FLAKY ETHERNET CONNECTION!-. This thing is super flaky and I cannot troubleshoot the problem. And to address those that might say I messed something up when I opened it- well that was actually the reason I opened it. When it is connected VLC is relatively stable. The problem is that after having it set up in my home for testing, for a week, it now does not stay connected for more than 24 hours. I have tried different power supplies, ethernet cables, long, short, next to the router, tested my cables, hooked up other devices to the same cables, moved it, wiggled it, rebooted, reset... I can’t even figure out why is disconnects. When it does it is completely invisible on my network (it has a static IP). Can’t be pinged but blue light shines out the back, so it is powered. I have disassembled it and retightened the connections. Then randomly I will plug it in and after 13 seconds hear a “click-click” and it will work. For a while…

-No snapshot url. This is frustrating. Having this would really simplify things. I do not have Blue Iris (I have tinycam pro). I believe this is possible in Home Assistant but the camera is not staying connected.
-CMS client- this is junk. I can’t even get it to allow me to see files on the memory card. I always get a “password error.” Even though I have reset my password and tried other things.
-IPC Test Tool- I can’t even get this to install. OK, I rebooted my computer and it works. Interface appears to be in Chinese.
-Local files- Since the CMS client won’t work then how do I access the files? I can open the Yoosee app on android and individually download them but there is no desktop access.

No browser interface. uhg

Tinycam pro does not stay connected for more than 10-15 minutes. I have not contacted the developer yet because I feel like the problem is related to the camera. VLC does stay connected… until the camera decides to drop off the network after 4 hours.

Any suggestions? Do I have a defective camera?
Hi,

If you want to take a snapshot you can use ffmpeg for that (see for example here Script to get JPEG snapshot from RTSP-stream (ffmpeg) - Domoticz). Note that you might need to patch ffmpeg as I've outlined a few posts before.

If you have physical access to the device, you can connect via UART, get a rootshell and then replace the file that has the chime sound with a file that doesn't play any sound. That would be the easiest I think.

I've noticed some reboots out of the blue as well, not sure why yet. Maybe I'll investigate later and patch the reboot code :)

flurec

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone wanting to access the files local to the device- warning, camera reset incoming. This may not be worth it but I cannot get consistent recordings any other way.

This is so convoluted. I was able to get the CMS software working and get past the "password error." The only way to do that is to reset the camera. That took me a while because I could not get it to boot. I *believe * the alarm button must be pushed in to boot up. It is not consistent. I did this outside and inside next to my switch. It randomly worked. Yay!

Do not open the Yoosee app. Open the CMS program. Add the camera and immediately right click it and go to IPC config. Set the device and rstp password. If you do not do it here then you will get a "password error." error in the playback section. Go back and right click the camera again under "Device property". Also set the device and rstp password here.

Now you are able to view the files local to the camera. But wait! the files are in an "av" format- VLC can't open. After downloading the file you need to click on a button at the botton of the screen that looks like the repeat symbol. That will allow you to convert the files to mp4. I don't believe it is actually being converted because it is very fast. Maybe it is a container for the file??

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried this for all of 5 minutes. If it slows down to 5fps, it's useless. Bought the Dahua instead. Double the price but at least it doesn't have ridiculous frame rate.

ur5zeb

n3wb
Reaction score
I had problems losing connection with the doorbell
Solved the problem by specifying the DNS server 8.8.8.8 in the router

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, this thread has got bigger with some great info.
I have been running my Yoosee since July of 2019. It is working on a BI setup, with dual nic and without the app.
Very cool indeed for $65 bucks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Bought this doorbell, but never came to using it, so I am selling one in EU WTS - [EU] YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP
I bought this unit, thanks again polaris :) .

So, now my "problem"... I'm trying to add this doorbell to my shinobi setup, but I fail to do so... I can't seem to get any ONVIF detection on it, nor cannot connect the RTSP stream.
I tried multiple things, but with no avail.

Somebody else with experience in adding this to shinobi? Or maybe some pointers? Thanks.

007msk

n3wb
Reaction score
yoosee / gwell has windows CMS Client app. does anyone have a link yoosee/gwell windows CMS Client SDK ?

elik745i

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, were looking to the way of connecting doorbell to the Home Assistant, managed to get rtsp by using Motioneye integration, however want to hookup ring button as well. Reading all 24 pages understood that the best option is to use ESP8266 with flashed TASMOTA firmware in order to automate and use MQTT? Is there any other option avoiding use of extra hardware?
thanks

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, were looking to the way of connecting doorbell to the Home Assistant, managed to get rtsp by using Motioneye integration, however want to hookup ring button as well. Reading all 24 pages understood that the best option is to use ESP8266 with flashed TASMOTA firmware in order to automate and use MQTT? Is there any other option avoiding use of extra hardware?
thanks
You can check my post for a description of how I've done it.

flurec

n3wb
Reaction score
My way requires some hardware but it's super easy. Buy the universal rf receiver mentioned numerous times here on eBay- $12. Buy a sensor that has dry contacts- $10. I hook them altogether in node-red (free). You can set up mqtt there or anywhere that supports the sensor. I trigger a snapshot from shinobi to be sent to me by telegram. I have telegram setup so I can manually refresh the snapshot.

Program the two outputs on the rf receiver to respond to the button press. Use one output for a mechanical chime and the other to trigger the dry contact.

Now I just wish I could reliably record the video stream.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now I just wish I could reliably record the video stream.
I assume you have brought this up before but I can't remember, so: what is the problem you are having and what you are using to record?

I'm recording my YooSee 24/7 with BI 5 without any trouble so I'm wondering what's keeping you from doing that.

Aspiring Geek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also using Yoosee 24/7 with BI setup, attached to Yoosee wifi chime. Two-way communication works through the Yoosee app on phone/ipad, but is cumbersome (one needs to have the app always open in background, otherwise it takes too much time to pull it up and initiate conversation). Effectively just a POE camera and doorbell chime, which is OK for me.

I use Sentry AI through BI on a six-camera set-up. Sentry reduces triggers by circa 50%.