Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To identify someone or plates with the wide-angle 2.8mm lens it would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings. Maybe can get some in daytime close, but at night forget it

You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

goetter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to overcome the physical limits of the hardware or otherwise achieve the impossible. I'm aware of the DORIS specs and don't expect it to exceed them. I'm just wondering if there are any low-hanging fruit to improve image quality :sweat_smile: and reduce H265 artifacts [for interesting subjects]. I'm a minor video encoding nerd.

(Also, this is a 3.6mm not 2.8). I'm also not pursuing automatic LPR.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t think you’re going to get many plates at the distance to the street if I’m right (going left to right at far top of picture?) Guessing tests 60+ ft? And a horrible angle. Not saying it’s impossible, but likely not reliable.
I cant quite read the white pickup plate and it’s dead straight on.

Like most at first, I think you’re trying to do too much with one camera. Even if you could get a plate in daytime, you won’t at night. Plates at night require settings that will black out all but the plate reflecting IR.

I’d turn off h.265 as at least Dahua’s implementation really isn’t useful and produces more artifacts. And increase bitrate to at least 10 or 12 MB

That camera and lens combo is great for monitoring your driveway/vehicles and getting good day and night facial ID out to say 25-30 ft

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
U have the best 4k with the best sensor right now and u will still not be able to read plates in day over 50-60 feet. U would be able to with optical zoom at least in daytime like the 2mp 49225 25x from andy. I have 2 and they are the best camera u can purchase and well worth the ectra $200+. I have 1 autotrack and 1 older 2017 which i use as close up daytime zoom during day then switches to plate reader at night which I finally set up with help from both bigredgish and wittaj. Im thinking about replacing my other 4k 2831 vari with this because it it so awesome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to overcome the physical limits of the hardware or otherwise achieve the impossible. I'm aware of the DORIS specs and don't expect it to exceed them. I'm just wondering if there are any low-hanging fruit to improve image quality :sweat_smile: and reduce H265 artifacts [for interesting subjects]. I'm a minor video encoding nerd.

Most of us find that H264 results in a better image. I would suggest to keep bumping up the bitrate until you do not notice an improvement.

Regardless of whether it is the 2.8 or 3.6mm, plates are going to be tough much past 15-20 feet unless they are coming basically right at the camera. And moving plates with this camera will be almost non-existent unless it is stadium quality light to allow for the faster shutter.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
3.6 mm camera is essentially an overview camera. Or a close quarters hallway lobby entryway camera.
They only give me half the information i need to call the Sheriff and get a Case#.
the other half come from my 6mm 5442 outback and my 5241 z12 out front. Dedicated to 1/2000 shutter speeds 24/7. Catching faces and/or license plates. If I don’t have a plate number and a vehicle description they won’t even come out and take a report

goetter

n3wb
Reaction score
:highfive: thanks for the tips everyone. The cam is impressive. I aimed to optimize its settings before my attention goes elsewhere, but it seems like the low-hanging stuff is already dialed in!

Now I want a 1/1.2" varifocal turret for the door approach :love:.

Xgatt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, after doing a bunch of reading, I ordered a pair of these at 3.6mm. This is the first time I'll ever be installing any outdoor camera, and I have some basic logistical questions. I'll be mounting one of these in an L-shaped corner (on the inside of the L), and I'd like it to point diagonally outwards. It seems to me that these cameras can only tilt up / down but have no turn. Which junction box will let me point these diagonally?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Xgatt - this is an absolute incredible camera, but even the best camera placed in the wrong location or unrealistic expectations will result in poor performance.

Ideally, try to install it below 8 feet and do not expect to be able to see clearly and identify at 40 feet.

Xgatt

n3wb
Reaction score
@Xgatt - this is an absolute incredible camera, but even the best camera placed in the wrong location or unrealistic expectations will result in poor performance.

Ideally, try to install it below 8 feet and do not expect to be able to see clearly and identify at 40 feet.
Yes, the plan is to install at about 7 to 8 ft in height. The house has a wide and long driveway running flush with and parallel to the house (with the Garage door perpendicular to the main door). Camera will be placed in the inner corner close to main door looking down the driveway and the lawn along the driveway. So long as I can identify people as they get into the driveway, we should be good.

Another will be placed looking down the side of the house where another entrance sits. If that can identify people as they approach the door, we're good.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Sharpness and detail relate to pixel density.

4mp over an entire image with an over view camera = very few pixels comaratively on the car and plate vs 4mp over a small area representing the back of a car and number plate. The 1st picture will be blurry if unreadable zoomed in due to low pixel count and thus definition. The 2nd picture if not readable straight out (correctly set up it should be), will require less zoom and have more pixels over the car / plate as it's the main subject of the picture meaning you can zoom further before the loss of recogition occurs.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I finally install the 4K-X yesterday. The day time and night time image quality both looks great and better than my old Amcrest 8MP T2499EW turret camera. Especially the night color is a huge upgrade compared to the T2499EW.

The only problem is the audio quality seems to be not so good even after trying all the audio encoding. It sounded like environmental noise filter is on but is not. And the volume is quite low even though I set it to 90% already. My other cameras I only set them around 60-80% and is louder than the 4k-X. Overall, I'm still very happy and satisfy with the camera simply because of the great night color.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I finally install the 4K-X yesterday. The day time and night time image quality both looks great and better than my old Amcrest 8MP T2499EW turret camera. Especially the night color is a huge upgrade compared to the T2499EW.

The only problem is the audio quality seems to be not so good even after trying all the audio encoding. It sounded like environmental noise filter is on but is not. And the volume is quite low even though I set it to 90% already. My other cameras I only set them around 60-80% and is louder than the 4k-X. Overall, I'm still very happy and satisfy with the camera simply because of the great night color.
I have the same issue. The audio quality is not good, at least not with my settings. I currently have AAC format, and 40kHz sampling.