Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
WOW - I am like a kid in a candy store playing with this new camera LOL, so I do not have any pics yet for comparison purposes, but I have been setting it up around different cameras to compare and what a difference.

We need a varifocal of this bad boy!

This one has a sensitivity feature for the IVS rule. I have always had good success with the previous IVS rules on my cameras, so it will be interesting to see how this impacts triggers.

Indoors it is amazing how little light is needed from the LED of the camera to provide a usable image. Way less light than my other full-color type camera. The auto LED to get a usable image at a 4ms shutter was way dimmer than a nightlight. But on the flip side, when I went to manual and blasted the LED at full brightness, it wasn't as bright as I thought it would be. It will be interesting to see how that translates outside.

Most of the other cameras I would test inside would kick into IR around 1/100 shutter. This camera doesn't have IR, but it took 1/2000 shutter before the LED kicked on and I do not think looking at the image that it actually needed it yet. I seem to think my other full-color was around 1/250 before the LED came on.

The digital zoom is really good on this. Obviously an optical zoom would be better, but we will be able to get by with some digital zoom on this.

It still needs the plug-in and then when I go to another camera, I need to reinstall that camera plug-in. Then go back to this one and have to reinstall the plug-in. A little bit of an annoyance, but just FYI for some of you.

Time for more playing!
Yes as I mentioned @wittaj the sensitivity and the ‘inside’ option with duration are nice additions here and give more flexibility. The need for plug-in is on my bug list so am hopeful the next test version I get my hands on will have that solved too.

Also @Parley and @wittaj make sure you checkout video cropping on sun stream 2. At 24 fps and full HD it’s finally a really useful feature for a sub section of you main FOVs.
Enjoy!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@ Parley It looks like you have a horrible PURPLE cast on your pictures maybe the bright neighbours lights causing this and a little HLC would help lots.
Yes, the night picture does need some work which I will start on today. The only main change I made to the camera out of the box was to turn off all the lights. I might add some today. I also want to go back and review the work that Wildcat_1 did. That should take a good hour. Hahahaha

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the night picture does need some work which I will start on today. The only main change I made to the camera out of the box was to turn off all the lights. I might add some today. I also want to go back and review the work that Wildcat_1 did. That should take a good hour. Hahahaha
Hahah :) Well you know I'm happy to help @Parley if you need it. Feel free to DM me if you want any specific assistance or want me to jump on the cam and assist in the dial in. I'm sure you'll be fine but for the end result, fine-tweaking of the image and settings to pull the most out for you, I'm here to help if you need it.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley your neighbor with red car can watch clear in the night too. This narrow place better use a 6mm.
The problem with the 6mm is that the focal distance is to far. Now with the Hikvision version you can take the camera apart and adjust for that. I am not sure you can do that with the Dahua. Maybe I will look into it.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hahah :) Well you know I'm happy to help @Parley if you need it. Feel free to DM me if you want any specific assistance or want me to jump on the cam and assist in the dial in. I'm sure you'll be fine but for the end result, fine-tweaking of the image and settings to pull the most out for you, I'm here to help if you need it.
PM sent.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with the 6mm is that the focal distance is to far. Now with the Hikvision version you can take the camera apart and adjust for that. I am not sure you can do that with the Dahua. Maybe I will look into it.
I already pulled the Hik apart and when time allows, intend to do the same on the Dahua across each lens type (once I can pickup a 2.8 and 6mm too) so will report back on my findings in future once complete. Saves you having to pull apart your shiny new toy @Parley :). As mentioned in my wrap up, these 4K cams (regardless of manufacturer) feature a very small window of usable adjustment for focal point and DOF so have to be careful or you will kill the image either near or far. Of course when varifocal versions of all of these are available in about 1 to 1.5 years (chip shortage resolved, optics advancements provide reasonable factory gate prices, other application uses met such as PTZ, multi-lens etc before that) then it will be much easier for all :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I already pulled the Hik apart and when time allows, intend to do the same on the Dahua across each lens type (once I can pickup a 2.8 and 6mm too) so will report back on my findings in future once complete. Saves you having to pull apart your shiny new toy @Parley :). As mentioned in my wrap up, these 4K cams (regardless of manufacturer) feature a very small window of usable adjustment for focal point and DOF so have to be careful or you will kill the image either near or far. Of course when varifocal versions of all of these are available in about 1 to 1.5 years (chip shortage resolved, optics advancements provide reasonable factory gate prices, other application uses met such as PTZ, multi-lens etc before that) then it will be much easier for all :)
I totally agree. I will be interested to see what you find when you take the Dahua apart. ;) I would think it would be similar to the Hikvision.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assume it would be somewhat similar to other Dahua cams, just bigger LOL.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
@ Parley It looks like you have a horrible PURPLE cast on your pictures maybe the bright neighbours lights causing this and a little HLC would help lots.

I think there may be several influences at play here. Purple is most likely if your neighbours lights are fluorescent. If the purple you mean is at that at the base of the right hand wall, it could be camera aberrations in the dark area.

I also think there maybe some excess yellow due to the yellow lighting in use at the end of the passage way.

I had a quick play in a photoeditor but couldn't come up with an easy solution. Adding a little bias towards blue helped to cancel out the yellow, but overall it still didn't look great. My guess as above is there's a mix of yellow light at one end of the passage and cool white / maybe even purpley flourescent light at the other nearest the camera. That maybe a tough one to adjust for as you can potentially only adjust for one or the other. Maybe someone with better photo editing skills would have more success although it's academic as it's the colour temp in the camera that needs adjusting not individual colours in post.

One way to help the situation is maybe to switch out the yellow light at the end of the passage for a daylight bulb (6500k) if it's your light. At least then you'll have white light at both ends of the passageway and you'll have a more consistent colour temperature over the passage as a whole. That should make setting an accurate colour temperature much easier.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there may be several influences at play here. Purple is most likely if your neighbours lights are fluorescent. If the purple you mean is at that at the base of the right hand wall, it could be camera aberrations in the dark area.

I also think there maybe some excess yellow due to the yellow lighting in use at the end of the passage way.

I had a quick play in a photoeditor but couldn't come up with an easy solution. Adding a little bias towards blue helped to cancel out the yellow, but overall it still didn't look great. My guess as above is there's a mix of yellow light at one end of the passage and cool white / maybe even purpley flourescent light at the other nearest the camera. That maybe a tough one to adjust for as you can potentially only adjust for one or the other. Maybe someone with better photo editing skills would have more success although it's academic as it's the colour temp in the camera that needs adjusting not individual colours in post.

One way to help the situation is maybe to switch out the yellow light at the end of the passage for a daylight bulb (6500k) if it's your light. At least then you'll have white light at both ends of the passageway and you'll have a more consistent colour temperature over the passage as a whole. That should make setting an accurate colour temperature much easier.
My lights are indeed daylight bulbs. However the neighbors lights are what ever and that is probably what we are seeing at the end of the passage. I will see if he will let me change both of them out to daylight. A good point that you raised.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I went over and looked at the neighbors lights and the light in front of his garage and the end of my passageway are an LED array, so I am screwed on that one. However the one installed in the back porch is a 40W equivalent LED in soft white. So I can sneak over and change that one out to the same bulb but only in daylight. Hahahaha

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
My lights are indeed daylight bulbs. However the neighbors lights are what ever and that is probably what we are seeing at the end of the passage. I will see if he will let me change both of them out to daylight. A good point that you raised.
Some of the purple that appears like a fringing can be attributed to chromatic aberration which you'll still find even on lower dispersion optics like currently used on these 4K's. On the other lighting part, yes if you can at least balance to one temp would be ideal. Either way, in FOV's where your light is either mixed OR troublesome, consider manual white balance dial in for your night profile and that can assist.

Also replied to PM

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the purple that appears like a fringing can be attributed to chromatic aberration which you'll still find even on lower dispersion optics like currently used on these 4K's. On the other lighting part, yes if you can at least balance to one temp would be ideal. Either way, in FOV's where your light is either mixed OR troublesome, consider manual white balance dial in for your night profile and that can assist.

Also replied to PM
I changed out the neighbors porch light to a daylight version. I had to sneak it in before he got home. I doubt if he will notice the difference.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
and another reason why everyone should have cams setup on their properties......the sneaky light bulb changing neighbor ;)
Actually I am in very good standing with my neighbor. In fact I gave him a 3 camera system including a Hikvison NVR which he now wants to expand on. He could care less that I bought a bulb and changed it out. ;) I am making more out of this for fun on this board. Hahahaha

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually I am in very good standing with my neighbor. In fact I gave him a 3 camera system including a Hikvison NVR which he now wants to expand on. He could care less that I bought a bulb and changed it out. ;) I am making more out of this for fun on this board. Hahahaha
I know you are, I'm sure they are glad they have someone like you living next to them that cares about securing the community.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Also replied to PM
My first thoughts were lens coating and the acute angle of incidence with the garage (?) light. I have seen some purple casts from fluorescent as well, although usually more universal. Unusual situation though to have at least 2 (maybe 3 if Parley is using his own light source behind the camera) sources of light all with differing colour temperures. Makes it very difficult to choose an overall white balance adjustment.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I changed out the neighbors porch light to a daylight version. I had to sneak it in before he got home. I doubt if he will notice the difference.
Wait until the bulb blows and he buys a yellow replacement.....or he thinks the bulb is getting old and has gone off colour so buys another.....or you find out his floodlight is actually an X brand integrated security camera and he has a great picture of you reaching for his bulb...