Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2 - Dual Lens 180 Degree Full Color 4K (8MP Stitched) Camera

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I could use an outside corner mount on my porch, I could eliminate two more 5442's that are on either side..... hmmm

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy, any idea when the turret style camera will be available?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect this will be one model they don't attempt a turret in LOL

Although they probably could get close with the boobie camera as a starting point LOL
@mudflap5 & @wittaj wait until you see my product intro video where I show the Wildcat version ;) All joking aside with the current setup of this cam, the tech and how they are splicing the sensors I believe this will stay in bullet style versions for the foreseeable future. Once they hone the tech further it could be possible but I don’t think it will be soon and that’s a good thing as I see a number of things that need to be fixed in this version first :)

Don't Look Up

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks promising, might do nearly as well as a Night Color PTZ in certain applications. Looks like a Night Color PTZ here in the U.S. may be a ways off..

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what kind of "weirdness" might go on with the digital stitching together of two image sensor inputs. I had to go look and see what the resolution was on Youtube--- It is listed as "4K", although it's a weird wide version.
I'm really curious about that too, I'm testing its competitor from hikvision the DS-2CD2T87G2P-LSU/SL and stitching IS a Issue to some extent, kind of hard to find a happy medium with it right now.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm really curious about that too, I'm testing its competitor from hikvision the DS-2CD2T87G2P-LSU/SL and stitching IS a Issue to some extent, kind of hard to find a happy medium with it right now.
Dahua unit has a smaller width resolution than the Hikvison. I wonder if that means it has better overlap processing for the final output.....?
1024 pixels less is a significant amount. But the Dahua one has a larger pixel height.

1663471494616.png

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Updated 9-19-22

I have 2 of the Hik 180's and really like them. Here is a cropped view of the stitching between the sensors with a stick at 45 degrees at about 5 ft. away. It is really not noticeable at further distances. I wonder if the Dahua does the same thing and if there is a way to adjust the image positions.Hik-180 edit.jpg

Looking in the camera GUI under System Settings, Configuration, Image Stitching, the value can be adjusted from 2 to 200. It was at 10 (default) and was changed to 2. This made for a slightly better stitch (at 5 ft.)

Stitch adjusted crop.jpg

This number represents the best stitching distance. 2 = 2ft. Now the image at 30 ft. is not stitched properly. It should be set to the distance at where you want the best stitching to occur.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 2 of the Hik 180's and really like them. Here is a cropped view of the stitching between the sensors with a stick at 45 degrees at about 5 ft. away. It is really not noticeable at further distances. I wonder if the Dahua does the same thing and if there is a way to adjust the image positions.View attachment 140295
I think a Defense Lawyer would love to see that.....

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 2 of the Hik 180's and really like them. Here is a cropped view of the stitching between the sensors with a stick at 45 degrees at about 5 ft. away. It is really not noticeable at further distances. I wonder if the Dahua does the same thing and if there is a way to adjust the image positions.
Because Dahua is using two separate cameras there is no way to eliminate the parallax error between the two stiched images. Hold your finger up at arms length and move your head side-to-side a small amount. Your finger shifts relative to the background. By having two separate camera Dahua is effectively moving side-to-side.

When professional photographers want to create panoramas, they mount their camera on a special mount that lets them do all the camera rotations about the rear nodal point. This eliminates the parallax error and the image can be stitched seamlessly.

----
Dean

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 2 of the Hik 180's and really like them. Here is a cropped view of the stitching between the sensors with a stick at 45 degrees at about 5 ft. away. It is really not noticeable at further distances. I wonder if the Dahua does the same thing and if there is a way to adjust the image positions.View attachment 140295
I think that error is a result of slightly different focus areas and "sweet spots" between the two sensors, at least that's what it looks like to me. @Wildcat_1 can probably answer that far more accurately than I can though.
For your testing video @Wildcat_1, Just like the tests optometrists do for your 'close focus distance'.
Hold a bit of text at the centre and walk towards the camera. See how close you can get before the text splits.