Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just received the turret (5449H-ASE) version of this camera and out of the box with factory defaults and firmware, the image seems to be out of focus. I've tried the Calibrate and Default buttons on the Splicing Calibration window.

Device Type: IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2-3.6mm
System Version: V2.840.15OG003.0.R, Build Date: 2021-08-28

I have another one of these cameras with the exact same spec in another location and am not seeing this issue.

Does this look like a focus issue? Splicing issue? Something else? If focus, is there a way to manually focus this camera?

Thank you.

View attachment 111764
I am in the process of setting mine up now and testing and only have it hooked up in my office...the picture is terrible...fuzzy and out of focus and almost ghosting double image.. I havent had a chance to take it outside to test it out yet and was hoping maybe the poor image quality was due to being in such close focus...thats why I was also asking Andy in my earlier post what the most updated firmware is for the camera as well...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just received the turret (5449H-ASE) version of this camera and out of the box with factory defaults and firmware, the image seems to be out of focus. I've tried the Calibrate and Default buttons on the Splicing Calibration window.

I have another one of these cameras with the exact same spec in another location and am not seeing this issue.

Does this look like a focus issue? Splicing issue? Something else? If focus, is there a way to manually focus this camera?

Thank you.

View attachment 111764
Try upping the bitrate - for testing, run it at its max and see if it improves.

nwiceman

n3wb
Reaction score
Try upping the bitrate - for testing, run it at its max and see if it improves.
Thank you @wittaj. I did try that (8192, 10240, 12288) earlier but did not see any improvement. I received the first one of these cameras a few months ago and it’s identical to this latest one that I’m having the issue with.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I know folks have taken apart other Dahua fixed cams to adjust the focus, but this one might be a little trickier given the dual lens?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The dual lens is a little different than the normal camera, looks like the installation is a bit too low to the ground, so will have a little blurry, try to put on a higher position and watch further.
I will check the firmware too, will get a better fw to release soon.

1639359207309.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple of things I notice here

1. Definitely would optimize the install location and go higher if you can
  2. I do see more of a splicing issue rather than out of focus on your pic below. Definitely needs re-calbrating. I would recommend this on a bench test and align a calibration image under good light (can walk you through this if you like)
  3. I think more can be done to make your current image more optimal. If you'd like, DM me and I'll setup a time to connect remote and dial it in for you
  4. Firmware wise you can use 21-08-28 BUT I prefer (of the current batches) 21-09-30
HTH and ping me back and can look to assist further

Thank you.

View attachment 111764

Last edited:

R7r7

n3wb
Reaction score

Thank you.
I have the same issue although worse. I still need to install it outside quite high but for now I also get blurry, out of focus images >6m away

nwiceman

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for your assistance, it is very much appreciated!

I have things looking better now although I'm not exactly sure what the fix was. While it was experiencing the weird splicing issue, it seemed to help when I set the exposure setting to Auto and then ran through calibration. Not sure, maybe @Wildcat_1 can get more info when he syncs up with @R7r7.

FWIW, I did take the camera apart and noticed that there is a manual adjustment on both lenses. No changes were made and I doubt that just taking it apart and putting it back together again fixed anything.

As for the height, this camera is mounted at the top of a garage door at 8 ft above the ground. It's pointing out and down and I believe that it's at least 10' to the closest part of that image. The other identical camera that I have is mounted 10 ft up, is in corridor mode, and does not have this issue.

As for firmware, I'm still on 21-08-28 but will give 21-09-30 a try.

@Wildcat_1 I'll DM you as I would like your assistance with dialing in some cameras.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you all for your assistance, it is very much appreciated!

I have things looking better now although I'm not exactly sure what the fix was. While it was experiencing the weird splicing issue, it seemed to help when I set the exposure setting to Auto and then ran through calibration. Not sure, maybe @Wildcat_1 can get more info when he syncs up with @R7r7.

FWIW, I did take the camera apart and noticed that there is a manual adjustment on both lenses. No changes were made and I doubt that just taking it apart and putting it back together again fixed anything.

As for the height, this camera is mounted at the top of a garage door at 8 ft above the ground. It's pointing out and down and I believe that it's at least 10' to the closest part of that image. The other identical camera that I have is mounted 10 ft up, is in corridor mode, and does not have this issue.

As for firmware, I'm still on 21-08-28 but will give 21-09-30 a try.

@Wildcat_1 I'll DM you as I would like your assistance with dialing in some cameras.
I still havent mounted mine outside the house...just testing it inside the house to get familiar with BI and the cam before installing(hopefully soon) but I did flash the 0930 firmware Andy posted and the image it already better than it was before...but of course most everything is pretty close compared to what it would be outside...but in any case the image is clearer..

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so in most other camera threads everyone says to mount cameras no more than 7-8' up... but it sounds like the opinion on this cam is to mount higher than normal...if so what is the optimal height to mount?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
so in most other camera threads everyone says to mount cameras no more than 7-8' up... but it sounds like the opinion on this cam is to mount higher than normal...if so what is the optimal height to mount?
No, don’t mount higher. Optimal in this case for a Dual Lens is in line with regular recommendations that I and others make here so in this case around the 7 to 7.5ft max. Remember you are splicing an image from two lenses and calibrating on a critical focus point that as I mentioned in my review has a sweet spot closer to its CFD (Close Focus Distance) of approx 6.5ft to target. Therefore don't sacrifice quality of target detail to height. As I show in my test, you can certainly pickup color and detail at distance BUT remember that where the lenses converge is key to a sharper, more aligned overlay of the image. This is especially critical IF you want an install that will provide great quality in both day and night scenarios with lighting as shown in my review. Therefore no higher than 7.5 ft (and again, that's the max I would recommend) with about 6.5 to 10 ft distance to target choke point. Dual Lens alignment is something that as I shared here, I've taken to Dahua on ways to improve this including manual alignment options. If those get implemented then I absolutely think that distance to target can be tweaked but for now, follow my recommendations above and reach out if you need help dialing in and I think you'll be happy with the results.

HTH

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ok got the camera finally installed on the house yesterday with the firmware Andy posted. Image does appear better than before but I am still seeing some blurring...for some reason its more noticeable on the right side of the screen when viewing on computer. I have not tried any type of calibrations or changing any settings either though. One more question. I see there is a speaker on the cam, but I cant find anything on the BI desktop to use two way talk or on the EI3 interface using phone....does anyone know how to access that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see there is a speaker on the cam, but I cant find anything on the BI desktop to use two way talk or on the EI3 interface using phone....does anyone know how to access that?
From the BI console, top left, the line of icons under the PROFILES is a little mic icon.

UI3 does not support two-way talk or the mic option. You need the paid BI app for that.

It will not work with Remote Desktop either.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From the BI console, top left, the line of icons under the PROFILES is a little mic icon.

UI3 does not support two-way talk or the mic option. You need the paid BI app for that.

It will not work with Remote Desktop either.
Thanks... yeah I get sound with UI3 but no option to speak... I paid for the BI mobile app but have not been able to get it working with the STUNNEL setup...maybe when I have a day off I can try to tackle setting up VPN and see if it will work with that