Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately YouTube taking its time with this 8+GB video on their end. As I said before, crazy to have to have your stuff re-encoded when already meeting both broadcast and YouTube standards in post production. Anyway I’ll send an update and link in the morning when it should have finished their re-encoding mess and ready for playback in native 4K.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

As promised, I’ve just completed and uploaded the night time revisit. As requested I’ve produced this as a 3 way 4K-X 2.8mm + 4K-T 2.8mm + 4K-T 3.6mm video and show each camera full screen then as frame synced side by side by side. I’ve also included the still image rundown I featured first in the day time testing. I tested against string lights, on-camera light (using 1 turrets LEDs only to simulate worst case), 1x 60w bulb and then the balanced 1x 60w + Spotlight set to 25% (62.5w equivalent). This not only gives a consistent test against all other cams I review but critically should give all an idea on what is possible and what to expect when using these cams under these lighting conditions.

Per my comment in the video, I tested successfully at 1/60 & 1/120 but as the video was getting long, focused this one on 1/60 so people get to see what’s possible for most lighting conditions.

I’ll add time stamps later but just wanted to get this up for all of you asap.

Link below and remember to choose 4K for playback.

BadKarma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, Anyone have any ideas as to what these white dots could be? Every day they appear to be getting worse. In the daytime, I don't notice it. I attempted to turn off 3D NR, but it had no effect.

Dahua artifacts 2022-10-26 at 18.48.04.jpgDahua artifacts 2 2022-10-26 at 18.48.04.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reflections of the stars LOL.

Yeah these are all digital signals, so turning off NR will make it worse. Does upping the NR improve it?

What about turning on the built-in LED or adding more light?

If you move the camera or cover the lens, are they still there? If so it could be dust or bad pixels, but it is hard to tell from that pic which or if that is it.

And it could just be noise from a dark area of the field of view without enough light.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All

I was setting up day mode/night mode and Low Illuminance mode for my 4kT camera.

I was able to setup the night and low Illuminance mode without issue.

When I try to setup day mode and switch exposure shutter to 1/120 and switch it back to auto, it seems like the shutter is stuck.

The preview mode shows proper view but when I go to live view , the screen is over expose. I have reset the camera but same issue.

Please see attached screenshots

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

I was setting up day mode/night mode and Low Illuminance mode for my 4kT camera.

When I try to setup day mode and switch exposure shutter to 1/120 and switch it back to auto, it seems like the shutter is stuck.

The preview mode shows proper view but when I go to live view , the screen is over expose. I have reset the camera but same issue.

It isn't a stuck shutter.

That is addressed in this thread that it is a known issue of the profiles not working correctly per schedules.

Preview screen shows the correct profile, but the live view reverts back.

For the moment the only way to switch profiles is to use BI to switch it per this post:

BadKarma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reflections of the stars LOL.

Yeah these are all digital signals, so turning off NR will make it worse. Does upping the NR improve it?

What about turning on the built-in LED or adding more light?

If you move the camera or cover the lens, are they still there? If so it could be dust or bad pixels, but it is hard to tell from that pic which or if that is it.

And it could just be noise from a dark area of the field of view without enough light.
At first i thought the car was dirty so i cleaned it lol, I tried turning off NR and maxing it out and it did'nt make the slightest differance.
I'll try some more lights and see if that helps.

BadKarma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All

As promised, I’ve just completed and uploaded the night time revisit. As requested I’ve produced this as a 3 way 4K-X 2.8mm + 4K-T 2.8mm + 4K-T 3.6mm video and show each camera full screen then as frame synced side by side by side. I’ve also included the still image rundown I featured first in the day time testing. I tested against string lights, on-camera light (using 1 turrets LEDs only to simulate worst case), 1x 60w bulb and then the balanced 1x 60w + Spotlight set to 25% (62.5w equivalent). This not only gives a consistent test against all other cams I review but critically should give all an idea on what is possible and what to expect when using these cams under these lighting conditions.

Per my comment in the video, I tested successfully at 1/60 & 1/120 but as the video was getting long, focused this one on 1/60 so people get to see what’s possible for most lighting conditions.

All

I appreciate you spending the time to create these great comparison videos.

I've noticed that, compared to the 2.8mm 4K-t, the 3.6mm's focus and sharpness are subpar at 16 feet and 8 feet.
I thought this was resolved?

Attachments

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
All

Well if I didn't know better I'd have said you swapped the X and T around. It seems at night the T has the edge. Horses for courses.

One observation for a firmware tweek,with the 3.6mm version, I'm sure you noticed it but you can get overexposure with the LED at 10 feet. Other than that, they all performed well with the T having the edge at night.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Well if I didn't know better I'd have said you swapped the X and T around. It seems at night the T has the edge. Horses for courses.

One observation for a firmware tweek,with the 3.6mm version, I'm sure you noticed it but you can get overexposure with the LED at 10 feet. Other than that, they all performed well with the T having the edge at night.
Hahah I know right ! When I originally brought the footage in I did a double take as well but can 100% confirm they are the right cams. As part of my workflow I always a) label every shot by camera, setting and time, pulling 1 camera at a time plus b) I note the file number on original SD so even after re-labeling footage I can reference the SD and c) watermark each cam.

With all that said, yes as I’ve mentioned, these 4K-Ts really are remarkable especially with the FW changes now in place that I recommended. They offer a brighter, sharper (with out getting as crazy as they were on over processing) ending image. The nice thing is that with a well designed deployment the 4K-X & 4K-T can co-exist very well.

The 4K-T now does have the upper hand IMO at night but that’s only a benefit for all to be able to a) gets this kind of performance out of a turret and b) paired with the X gives some great options. Shame no speaker but that is something that could be added to an S2 version later and then would meet most needs (outside of varifocal of course).

Yes I had noted the overexposure as part of my feedback.To be fair this is with LEDs (only from 1 turret remember) being set manually to 100% to demonstrate what light this can output if it’s all you had (as you know, both you and I advocate for off camera light as the ideal approach). On auto it will dial back quite quickly but I did note the power and speed of adjustment in my feedback for 3.6 when I received it.

Again nice thing is these cams represent a solid selection for those looking to purchase bullet cam or turret versions. Will be great to see where this range goes

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you could comment on the focus of the T versus the X and the T-2.8 versus the T-3.6, I'm all ears. To my old eyes they both look fine but to someone with sharper eyes and far more experience with video your comments would help.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

This has been confirmed with the Dahua Engineer I'm working with, that this is an issue in two different camera models that use the new Web5.0 interface.
They are working on a fix.
Try setting your time to 24hrs, instead of 12 hrs for the time being to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I appreciate you spending the time to create these great comparison videos.

I've noticed that, compared to the 2.8mm 4K-t, the 3.6mm's focus and sharpness are subpar at 16 feet and 8 feet.
I thought this was resolved?
With regards to 'resolved' you’re referencing the HW production line change I had Dahua complete and that was on the 2.8 specifically due to issues with that one being way off spec and not usable at a Close Focus Distance (CFD). 3.6 was not available for testing originally if you'll recall (due to pre-prod availability) plus 3.6 was pretty much in line with expectations although recommendations were made by me on that one for implementation.
First, the 3.6 would never be sharp at 8 feet as that is not where you would expect the CFD for this camera's optics used on the T. The 2.8 is expected to be at 8 feet and is pretty darn close to that even when you take into account extreme lighting and overall dialed in config now they (Dahua) implemented the HW adjustments i mentioned.
On this specific 3.6 unit, the 3.6 hits CFD around 16ft-18ft* (dead center for lower and off center seen for slightly higher). Unfortunately YouTubes recompression does NOT help either. If you look at the day video you'll see the 16ft is pretty darn close again for sharpness as a reference point and as expected. On the 'balanced' night test (bulb + spot) you can see it's right around that 16-18ft too from the uncompressed too.

* I can only speak to this specific unit I am using and have tested extensively, last thing to bear in mind is production line variances that I mentioned (initial limited prod line vs 1st main line prod) will always be a potential point of difference as well since as I mentioned, recommendations were made..

@sebastiantombs, to answer your question about 4K-X vs 4K-T, yes as I mentioned above in my reply to CCTVCam, the 4K-T does have the edge for night videos.

HTH

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would agree with above based on my testing with both cameras. The 4K-T seems to have the edge. Is it enough that I would sway a recommendation, I don't think so. If you need one with more built in light or a speaker, the bullet is great for that. If you want a smaller form factor the turret is great for that.

But it does appear that as pointed out that production runs could impact what people have seen as it does appear some have a unit that is different in regards to focus, but that could also be that they are running default or haven't dialed it in correctly.

As I mentioned, I saw a marked difference in focus in mine between default and dialed in settings.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As I mentioned, I saw a marked difference in focus in mine between default and dialed in settings.
That's strange considering you're adjusting gain and contrast rather than focus. At least my eyes were correct in my assessment, X has the edge in day, T at night. Always good to know you're not going senile at my age!

Be great to see how these evolve over time. Both very good cameras but no doubt a little room for improvement not least of which the mic and varifocal as you mentioned. I'm sure it will come. Look how many action cameras and even phones have 1 inch sensors these days and the tiny packages they come in. In fact a very good example of this is the new DJ Mini 3 drone. Fantastic little camera on it.