Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The top picture is with the exposure set back at 50 / 100 (I had set it to 14 to reduce the overexposure).
The bottom picture is with the codec set to H264 with 10240 bitrate.

ExposureDefault50.jpg

Bitrate10240-Exposure50.jpg

EncodeSettings10240.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with the lack of an API or other method to change profiles from night to day besides the built-in monthly schedule. No camera, 4K-X or 4K-T can use one profile for every possible combination of lighting conditions. The current schedule system, based on month long chunks, is just not granular enough to handle the rapid changes in daylight hours as the seasons change. We all know what happens when things are left in "auto" so that's not a viable option either. I've tried "auto" and it results in blown out daytime video and blurred motion in night time video. Not being able to set changes based on sunrise and sunset, to me, is a major shortcoming.

I've had continual problems with getting the schedule, and other settings, to remain stable. I'll bet at this point I've spent almost a full day, 24 hours, defaulting, reapplying firmware, defaulting and then reconfiguring the camera yet again. This morning it didn't switch from night to day again after working on it again yesterday for a few hours. The WEB5.0 GUI does not have a logical layout. IVS is motion detection/AI but is not in the same location as SMD. Why is that? Again, there's too much wasted space on the screens and just eliminating that wasted space would allow a more compact, intuitive, layout.

I love the camera. The video is excellent. I'm satisfied with the focus on the 3.6mm I have, but the firmware and management system just aren't very good at all.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

I did 2 hard resets last night with the reset button on the camera. I can try to grab a ladder and get the camera higher.

I noticed on page 16, @looney2ns pictures also showed the extreme anti-aliasing effect where you really notice it around the roofs of the houses off to the right (attachment below from his post).

It's not appearing that this camera is ready for prime time, so I'm probably going to have to look at the 5442 and see if that will work and doesn't have the anti-aliasing issue. That's disappointing because the low light capability of the 4KT is amazing.

View attachment 142957

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@IAmWatchingYou! Keep in mind the anti-aliasing effect can be possible in certain fields of view - fences, roofs, etc.

Simply changing the size of the image on the screen can eliminate that.

Adjusting parameters gain minimize it too.

It is also typically more pronounced in the 2.8 and 3.6mm wide angle cameras.

LDC turned on can probably eliminate it to, but that can add other isssues.

But like in Looneys example, we wouldn't be using the camera to IDENTIFY anyone on a roof that far away and on the edges of the field of view LOL.

Remember the intent of these cameras is for surveillance and that is intended to mainly be in the center of the field of view. These are not Hollywood cameras or even cameras on phones to take selfies LOL. Anything obtained on the fringes of the field of view is a bonus.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj You tipped me off - the screenshots I grabbed were to show that I was choosing the main stream. I did a screenshot earlier from the web interface's button to generate a camera generated screenshot and the anti-aliasing is no where's near as extreme (attached). You can still see some around the fence lines.

@EMPIRETECANDY I attached a screenshot on a ladder pointed down. That's about 8' to the sign. So this definitely would not work in an entry way. The pic you posted looks better, but I would still want something that is not totally out of focus 3-4' from the camera. I'm wondering how the 5442s are as far as focal length.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have backlight on in that image on the ladder?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Don't watch the chair too close, how tall the ladder is? looks like still very low. Close Focus Distance:2.8 mm: 4.2 m (13.8ft) 3.6 mm: 4.9 m(16.1 ft) you see the close grass and chair are very blurry.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, the next step I would do is start adjusting those parameters. Default settings rarely produce good results. You have to dial it in to your field of view. There are enough threads and posts in this forum showing how much those can impact an image including focus.

Start with dropping brightness.

Change NR to 25

I would probably drop gamma as well. Try 40 to start.

Here was a recent thread discussing how much changing the parameters can impact focus:

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went through adjusting these settings, completely disabling NR, etc. No dice:(. Even with the better image @EMPIRETECANDY posted, it looks like Dahua has got the focus set so that this camera would be unusable in the likes of entryways, corridors, or anywhere besides in a position as an overview camera.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I went through adjusting these settings, completely disabling NR, etc. No dice:(. Even with the better image @EMPIRETECANDY posted, it looks like Dahua has got the focus set so that this camera would be unusable in the likes of entryways, corridors, or anywhere besides in a position as an overview camera.
what is the lens you are using? Just refer to this link. I think can work at most place. You just hang it up to test, not really sit at such low place to make testing. You see the pics you posted fence is not blurry.
wildcat make a new video to compare 2.8mm and 3.6mm lens,

Last edited:

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the 2.8 - the wide view for covering passerbys no more than 20' in front of the building, as well as an entryway and 10' x 8 vestibule. This wouldn't be purposed for an overview camera for a yard, etc.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This is the 2.8 - the wide view for covering passerbys no more than 20' in front of the building, as well as an entryway and 10' x 8 vestibule. This wouldn't be purposed for an overview camera for a yard, etc.
Should be ok because you hang 6-7ft high, just make a try to hang it up.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes 2.8 should be fine. There is a focus distance difference between the 4K-T and say a 5442 at same focal length but it’s a matter of a couple of feet. Therefore depending on height, location, distance to target etc then this should work for you.

The key is in matching the cam to location and desired end capture targets then dialing in the camera as I’ve shown many times. I’m going to review the JPG you sent, please attach from camera outputs directly, not screenshots so we can get the best look at quality you are seeing

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with the lack of an API or other method to change profiles from night to day besides the built-in monthly schedule. No camera, 4K-X or 4K-T can use one profile for every possible combination of lighting conditions. The current schedule system, based on month long chunks, is just not granular enough to handle the rapid changes in daylight hours as the seasons change. We all know what happens when things are left in "auto" so that's not a viable option either. I've tried "auto" and it results in blown out daytime video and blurred motion in night time video. Not being able to set changes based on sunrise and sunset, to me, is a major shortcoming.

I've had continual problems with getting the schedule, and other settings, to remain stable. I'll bet at this point I've spent almost a full day, 24 hours, defaulting, reapplying firmware, defaulting and then reconfiguring the camera yet again. This morning it didn't switch from night to day again after working on it again yesterday for a few hours. The WEB5.0 GUI does not have a logical layout. IVS is motion detection/AI but is not in the same location as SMD. Why is that? Again, there's too much wasted space on the screens and just eliminating that wasted space would allow a more compact, intuitive, layout.

I love the camera. The video is excellent. I'm satisfied with the focus on the 3.6mm I have, but the firmware and management system just aren't very good at all.
I agree ^^^^^^
Using IE hasn't really changed anything with regards to problems for me either.
Day/night change didn't work again last night.
It still reverts condition setting and exposure to defaults when applying IVS rules.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I defaulted the schedule this morning and it took out conditions and exposure. Both back to default yet again. I set it all manually since I don't trust the import function.

On another note, I was able to add a second IVS rule and apply it without losing conditions and exposure. Something else I noticed is that it seems more stable with more than one month set up with a schedule. I just copied October to September, November and December. Those can be adjusted when the time comes, pun intended.