Wildcat's Status

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Wildcat’s Status

All, it seems like it’s been a LOOOOOOONG time since I posted (and to be fair, it has been a lot longer than I would have liked). Unfortunately this past month has had a crazy number of storms in the area that have been pretty impactful. Tornado warnings that, luckily, while didn’t hit, caused enough large hail and then associated flooding that there was damage to the house (internal and external). Then with the damage already in place, then came more storms both sides which led to more flooding and more damage. Therefore these past weeks have been endless calls with insurance, contractors, mitigation companies and a lot of manual work etc just trying to get things back to normal. All of this and connection issues (both hardwired and cell) have been spotty at best.

I’m pleased to update that although still a lot of work to do, a lot has already been done,. I’ve also rebuilt infrastructure to ensure more robust 1:1 redundancy in every hop of the managed network I built up to and including 3 forms of uplink redundancy (hey wouldn’t be a Wildcat project without going above and beyond ;) ). So while I await roofers and more work, I wanted to get back to everyone here and a) apologize for my lack of presence on the forum in the past few weeks + ability to respond to DM’s, messages as quickly as I normally would and b) thank all of you for the DM’s messages reaching out. I literally have just been able to start reading these due to numerous connection drops on a daily basis before hand.

I am 100% still around, will be back full time on the forum, hopefully by end of week, early next week at latest (working on infrastructure stuff as I type) and am already planning the next set of videos and reviews, as well as looking to prioritize my inbox so I can start responding to all of those that need assistance.

Appreciate everyone’s patience and most importantly, wanted to say THANK YOU for caring and reaching out.

Hope you are all well. Speak to you all soon

WC

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you're ok. Storm videos?

Pity houses in storm areas aren't built more like bunkers. When you see some of those tornado videos, it's heart breaking to see entire cities flattened.I'm sure it's preventable. If Reed Timmer can build a car that is tornado eye proof, I'm sure someone could do the same with building design. Floods are a bit more difficult to handle as the ground water can still rise up even if you block the entrances. That said, in the UK, we have some solutions for flood areas. Sure these will be mirrored in the US.

A few Random product search results not recommendations:

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad you're ok. Storm videos?

Pity houses in storm areas aren't built more like bunkers. When you see some of those tornado videos, it's heart breaking to see entire cities flattened.I'm sure it's preventable. If Reed Timmer can build a car that is tornado eye proof, I'm sure someone could do the same with building design. Floods are a bit more difficult to handle as the ground water can still rise up even if you block the entrances. That said, in the UK, we have some solutions for flood areas. Sure these will be mirrored in the US.

A few Random product search results not recommendations:

well, the price point for building a single family residence with decent square footage like that might scare you away unless it is a multi thousand family type shelter. (think - 15 minute cities)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was wondering, if Cam-mafia came and took you Japan and forced you into reverse-engineering Andy's firmwares....:)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks all for the kind comments and follow up. Everything is now back up, tested and multi layer NW comms failover is in place :) Have some more work to finish up but most is back online. Have more storms this week but I'm getting ready to start the next review as well as getting back to DM's and other questions

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
well, the price point for building a single family residence with decent square footage like that might scare you away unless it is a multi thousand family type shelter. (think - 15 minute cities)
I don't know. Almost all buildings in the UK are double brick walled or brick outer and concrete block inner. It can't be so much more expensive to infill with concrete. The roof would need a different solution. Never have figured out why the US is so obsessed with wooden housing. Yes Uk housing is expensive, but I've not noticed the brick houses in eg Florida being sold as holiday homes being particularly expensive. Yes they're not tornado proof, but surely it can't be that much more expensive to build a cavity wall infilled with concrete and have a bunker style roof.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know. Almost all buildings in the UK are double brick walled or brick outer and concrete block inner. It can't be so much more expensive to infill with concrete. The roof would need a different solution. Never have figured out why the US is so obsessed with wooden housing. Yes Uk housing is expensive, but I've not noticed the brick houses in eg Florida being sold as holiday homes being particularly expensive. Yes they're not tornado proof, but surely it can't be that much more expensive to build a cavity wall infilled with concrete and have a bunker style roof.
Canada is 30% forest and the US would be less than that. Wood is plentiful and cheaper to produce and move than concrete in those areas inside and a bit outside a wooded area. Also much less labour intensive to build with.

I live in the Caribbean now and everything here is concrete/blocks/etc. It retains heat and is harder to insulate.