Who runs 6+ 1080p wireless cams flawlessly (no disconnects) in there BI environment?

Nortonics

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the forum, yet old to the technology.

Any concise thoughts to my question? I'm all ears, especially from veterans...

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got 7 going now. 6 are Dahua 2231 and one is a 5231. What I've seen so far is that they are not unlimited in terms of how much data they can pass. I can do 25 FPS at 1080 and over a test of 1-2 days that does fine. I did however turn off the substream because #1 it took a long time for the 2231 cams to start their feed and #2 I canmot see where BI uses the second stream. I repeat though I just have a couple days into this.

I am interested to see what happens with rain or snow. If I understand the .264 compression, I think the bandwidth and storage (and CPU needs) will go up.

The cameras are all set to h.264 and wired directly using CAT5e wiring to a Netgear 16 Port POE switch that is direct connected to the router at 1G. The server is an i9-9400 with the Intel Sync running and connected to a WD Purple drive. CPU runs at or below 25%.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
.............The cameras are all set to h.264 and wired directly using CAT5e wiring to a Netgear 16 Port POE switch that is direct connected to the router at 1G. The server is an i9-9400 with the Intel Sync running and connected to a WD Purple drive. CPU runs at or below 25%.
Cmon ya Yank - did ya not understand the wireless part of my question?
And thank you Mick - that's the sort of answer I'm looking for.
What am I missing here?

Nortonics

n3wb
Reaction score
Uggghhhhh. God, please read my request, and if ya can't be complete then don't respond at all.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cmon ya Yank - did ya not understand the wireless part of my question?

And thank you Mick - that's the sort of answer I'm looking for.
Honestly, I missed the wireless part too. I am all about the wires. WIreless is too many variables even out in the country.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Uggghhhhh. God, please read my request, and if ya can't be complete then don't respond at all.
You want him to read your "request" but didnt bother reading the responses. For example, as has been pointed out, micks cameras are ALL hardwired.
You already know the response, its impossible to have reliability with all wireless. If you are not capable to run cables yourself, pay someone who is. You limit yourself to crappy cameras using wifi and/or needing a wifi bridge for each and suffer packet loss, drops and disconnects.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An wireless camera is not secure and can not be used for reliable survallance, Anybody with about $50 of equipment can shut down a complete wireless system. Wireless is a joke for security.

That is why I answered the question the way i did.

Nortonics

n3wb
Reaction score
Christ all mighty - I knew these sorts of responses were cumming.

Smrat up and stay with my original request.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not possible. You'll find plenty of people who say they run whatever number of cameras on wifi without any problems, but you aren't getting the whole picture. The main problem with wireless communication is it is inherently much less predictable than wired communication. It can work fine moment and be shit the next. And it is difficult, expensive, and time-consuming to troubleshoot.

Part of the problem here is that a lot of people use wifi when it isn't appropriate to do so; e.g. because they don't like wires.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Christ all mighty - I knew these sorts of responses were cumming.

Smrat up and stay with my original request.
ok buddy, here is the answer you are looking for. I run 10 1080p wifi cameras, no issues. Everyone here is clueless. I have various brands but go with anything available for cheap on aliexpress - rock solid. Come back and tell us how the install went.

Nortonics

n3wb
Reaction score
Dang it all you numbnuts!

Bp, I read your stuff and am listening.

Don't need more lame ass responses. Need real-world professional sort of responses...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang it all you numbnuts!

Bp, I read your stuff and am listening.

Don't need more lame ass responses. Need real-world professional sort of responses...
You first need to get your head out of your ass and realize that folks are replying to you for FREE. Stop with the nasty demands and start reading.