Who runs 6+ 1080p wireless cams flawlessly (no disconnects) in there BI environment?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It appears, to me, that you don't like the answers that don't agree with your, preformed, opinion. The people who have responded are all veteran camera people who have been there and done that. One, in particular, is extremely experienced and competent with surveillance systems while the others are very well experienced. To put it simply, once again, WiFi does not provide any security.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 3 places I run a wireless bridge. Two of the setups run on the Ubiquiti NS-5AC NanoStation AC 5 around 450' at the far end on 1 system I have a DVR with (8) 2mp cameras and a 4K IP camera running that do fine. The other wireless bridge runs (7) 4K 8MP cameras that are POE. I came out of a basement of an apartment with 120v in PVC to a weatherproof 18x18" box and inside is a 8 port POE switch with uplink that the POE cameras plug into and the nanostation AC5 plugs into to bridge the network. So this setup is basically wireless to wired 45' away and seems to work good for me. I never did try a camera with wireless antenna, I don't think they perfected them that good yet, besides, they say wireless but you still have to run a power wire to power the camera, so if you have to run a wire may as well go wired all the way. In my case you can only run ip cameras like 325 feet then you start to loose packets so to go further another 325 feet you have to put a switch. It was easier for me to go wireless bridge the 450' then wired from there with shorter cat5 wire runs at the far end. The 3rd wireless bridge I just put up at a small strip mall was from a house to the mall about 250' line of sight and used ebay purchased antennas about $58 bucks to a DVR with (6) 2mp cameras that run flawless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 places I run a wireless bridge. Two of the setups run on the Ubiquiti NS-5AC NanoStation AC 5 around 450' at the far end on 1 system I have a DVR with (8) 2mp cameras and a 4K IP camera running that do fine. The other wireless bridge runs (7) 4K 8MP cameras that are POE. I came out of a basement of an apartment with 120v in PVC to a weatherproof 18x18" box and inside is a 8 port POE switch with uplink that the POE cameras plug into and the nanostation AC5 plugs into to bridge the network. So this setup is basically wireless to wired 45' away and seems to work good for me. I never did try a camera with wireless antenna, I don't think they perfected them that good yet, besides, they say wireless but you still have to run a power wire to power the camera, so if you have to run a wire may as well go wired all the way. In my case you can only run ip cameras like 325 feet then you start to loose packets so to go further another 325 feet you have to put a switch. It was easier for me to go wireless bridge the 450' then wired from there with shorter cat5 wire runs at the far end. The 3rd wireless bridge I just put up at a small strip mall was from a house to the mall about 250' line of sight and used ebay purchased antennas about $58 bucks to a DVR with (6) 2mp cameras that run flawless.
You can run Ethernet and Poe longer than 325 feet. You just need a long range capable switch or a tiny extender.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can run Ethernet and Poe longer than 325 feet. You just need a long range capable switch or a tiny extender.
Yes you can with super poe switch but why run 7 wires that long. With the wireless bridge there is no wire the 450' where the other end of the building is and my longest wire run on the 7 cameras is 100' so a more powerful poe switch to me would os put me close to my overall wire limit seeing I was close to 600' and less wire is better if future issues happen. Plus what is nice about the bridges is if you have say 3-4 apartment buildings and want the NVR in 1 place to view all, beaming from a AP to station end branching out to cameras makes it so simple and much less wire.

Asarus

n3wb
Reaction score
I run 18 to 20 cameras in BI for now 3 years. They are all at minimum 1080p / 25 fps. Some of them are 4Mp, some others in 60 fps (dahua and hikvision).

No issue at all, but they are all PoE and wired of course. And you need a good cpu multicore for that.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
17 of my cameras are used wirelessly. IMO the trick is to connect them to a quality managed switch and use quality WiFi equipment to send them back to 'home base'. We live on 5 acres and about 2 acres are totally covered. I use Ubiquity AP's and Ubiquity Edgerouter-X switches, all running Openwrt. It never hickups except for the early AM reboot.