Which zone does BI use for triggering?

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed that BI has many zones, but I haven't been able to figure out which zone that BI uses to trigger. Is it Zone A? Or is it all zones (layered with the largest possible area selected)? I tried watching some tutorials, but they don't really outright say. One of the official BI videos kind of hinted that it was Zone A because it was the one that was completely selected by default....but can anyone confirm, perhaps by experience or trial and error?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It uses whichever zones you tell it to use.

If you do not tell it one, it will use Zone A, but in some updates we have seen that problematic, so it is always good to specify which Zone you want it to use.

You may create a Zone B that is just a small part of the image and tell it to only trigger for Zone B.

Last edited:

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It uses whichever zone you tell it to use.
You can do that? Where? I don't see any place to specify the zone to use for triggering. I can see at the bottom that the "active zone map" is \Motion, but I don't know which one that is.

1651177831751.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Select the Edit on object detection and then you have that option.

And while at it, I would suggest unchecking the move X number of pixels and uncheck the reset at 67% because those two are used to knock out false triggers.

At that field of view you have, as soon as someone gets larger than that blue block, the trigger stops.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Select the Edit on object detection and then you have that option.

And while at it, I would suggest unchecking the move X number of pixels and uncheck the reset at 67% because those two are used to knock out false triggers.

At that field of view you have, as soon as someone gets larger than that blue block, the trigger stops.
Hmm, I don't see anywhere you can change the zone that BI is watching for triggers. There's a field for zone crossing, but that's about it.

1651183258822.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, uncheck those two boxes and then check the Object Crosses Zone box and put A in that block

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so what does it use if you don't check that "Object crosses zones" box?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is supposed to be Zone A, but it will cause problems with DeepStack if you leave it blank. Best to fill in A to prevent a problem a year from now and you are trying to figure out why it worked a year ago and all you did was update BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there is some confusion here. Blue iris will trigger at any and all zones. You can set multiple zones or just one zone. Zone crossing is a completely different triggering activity if you wish to trigger when an object crosses from one or more zones to one or more zones.
Zones are profile specific and you can limit alerts and deepstack analysis to certain zones. Also change the algorithm to simple.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I don't want to do any zone crossing (at least, not at this time).
I looked through the profiles and couldn't find anything that would indicate a choice in zone to trigger, am I missing something?
Also, not sure what you mean by changing the algorithm to simple. I'm guessing that it's some setting that's buried somewhere? I gotta say that the BI interface is not the best design for usability.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look towards bottom middle - algorithm - right now it is Edge Vector:

1651243247613.png

The profile screenshots you posted are to set up the profiles. Go back to the main Trigger page one back from this Motion Sensor screenshot and it shows profiles there. By default they all follow Profile 1 unless you change them. But you can change the motion settings per profile if you have a reason to do so.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I don't want to do any zone crossing (at least, not at this time).
I looked through the profiles and couldn't find anything that would indicate a choice in zone to trigger, am I missing something?
Also, not sure what you mean by changing the algorithm to simple. I'm guessing that it's some setting that's buried somewhere? I gotta say that the BI interface is not the best design for usability.
The zones you draw are specific to the profile you have selected in the trigger tab. Test it.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, the algorithm is by camera, not system wide.
Yep, I see profile 1, but where can I say that profile 1 uses zone B (for example)?

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Geeze, you reply fast! Even before I can ask the question. :lol:
Ok, I changed the profile but it says that it's syncing with profile 1. I think I need to watch some more tutorials to understand these profiles as I think I'm treading too deep here as I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. I just wanted to know that if I'm using profile 1 (and all the other profiles are synched to profile 1), which zone does the trigger use to............well trigger. I thought this would be a simple question, like, BI provides 8 zones to paint on, but which one does it use for triggering?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you "paint" on all of them, it will use whichever one(s) you tell it to. Otherwise it will just use Zone A, but like I said, better to just add A in that Zone box so that you know that is what you are getting. So if you check the object crosses zone and just put in B, then it will only use B to trigger.

1651244383647.png

Syncing with profile 1 means the other profiles are using the motion triggers for profile 1. Only if you uncheck it and change the motion settings for other profiles will it change.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It sounds like that box is just for zone crossing though, no?