Which Computer Do I Buy To Run Blue Iris On? What Do You Use?

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great explanation as always @wittaj. I just went outside and took a photo with my iPhone and as you can see there are lights all the way to the door which I would hope would be enough to no only provide “backlighting”?

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great explanation as always @wittaj. I just went outside and took a photo with my iPhone and as you can see there are lights all the way to the door which I would hope would be enough to no only provide “backlighting”?
You will need to test with a moving subject to see if enough light is put on their face for a good chance of a nice ID shot .. sometime the background looks great but you get a dark face which makes it hard to identify

Reaction score
Is there a youtube video that shows all the steps for connections of camera to POE switch to computer?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a youtube video that shows all the steps for connections of camera to POE switch to computer?
A POE switch is no different than any other switch (other than the obvious fact that is also provides power over ethernet to any connected device that needs is designed to use it). You simply plug in all of the devices into the switch and make sure the switch is also connected to your router. Any device (including the router) and be plugged into any of the normal network ports on the switch. (Some switches might have special "management" ports, or "WAN" ports, and you don't want to connect anything to those ports unless you know what they do and have a specific reason to use them).

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
+1^^.
@kshitijsri82 , just to clarify the above: those devices that need power must be POE devices; the POE switch cannot power up non-POE devices such as those that require an external power supply, 12VDC being the most common. :cool:
You are obviously correct. I'll edit my post to make that a little more clear!

Reaction score
Tha
A POE switch is no different than any other switch (other than the obvious fact that is also provides power over ethernet to any connected device that needs is designed to use it). You simply plug in all of the devices into the switch and make sure the switch is also connected to your router. Any device (including the router) and be plugged into any of the normal network ports on the switch. (Some switches might have special "management" ports, or "WAN" ports, and you don't want to connect anything to those ports unless you know what they do and have a specific reason to use them).
Thank you. I am in the process of buying all the components. First thing i got is the blue iris disc. Looking for computer now based on the suggestions previously made in this thread and then the camera. I still need to install cat6 ethernet cable and currently looking for ways how to it in my house which used to have coaxial cable. I see there are coaxial based cameras but i dont want to add too many variables in the setup.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see there are coaxial based cameras but i dont want to add too many variables in the setup.
Those are likely analog cameras.
There are devices that allow Ethernet and POE (data and power) for IP cameras over coax cable but they're not cheap, though.
Worth it in some instances where replacing it with CAT5e or 6 is too difficult:
EmpireTech Coaxial Cable Single-Port Long Reach Ethernet Over Coax Extender EOC Converter IP Over Coax max 3000ft POE Power and Data Transmission Over Regular RG59 Repeater LR1002-1ET+LR1002-1EC

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
There are devices that allow Ethernet and POE (data and power) for IP cameras over coax cable but they're not cheap, though.
EmpireTech Coaxial Cable Single-Port Long Reach Ethernet Over Coax Extender EOC Converter IP Over Coax max 3000ft POE Power and Data Transmission Over Regular RG59 Repeater LR1002-1ET+LR1002-1EC
Yes this is what i saw online. I dont want to use that stuff. installing cat6 will be better and hopefully not too difficult.

Reaction score
I have a basic question. Do i need a subscription to use blue iris? Ot the subscription is just for upgrades and support? Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a basic question. Do i need a subscription to use blue iris? Ot the subscription is just for upgrades and support? Thanks
Your initial purchase provides you with a license for Blue Iris and 1 year of upgrades.
A license includes basic support and maintenance which means access to email software support and same-version updates for one year from first activation.​
After 1 year you can purchase another year of upgrades for $35 but it is optional; you can continue to use BI year after year with no upgrades if you so choose.

EDIT: 4/3, 1716 CT: added link to Blue Iris Software site that explains support levels and cost:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your initial purchase provides you with a license for Blue Iris and 1 year of upgrades.
A license includes basic support and maintenance which means access to email software support and same-version updates for one year from first activation.​
After 1 year you can purchase another year of upgrades for $30 but it is optional; you can continue to use BI year after year with no upgrades if you so choose.
Is it worthwhile to purchase subscription after 1 year. I won’t be installing a lot of cams or doing too much tinkering with the software once the BI is setup.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to purchase subscription after 1 year. I won’t be installing a lot of cams or doing too much tinkering with the software once the BI is setup.
If your BI is working fine and has all the features you need/want then I'd leave it be.
Order up another year of maintenance if you see a feature in a new version of BI that you want.

Reaction score
+1^^.
@kshitijsri82 , just to clarify the above: those devices that need power must be POE devices; the POE switch cannot power up non-POE devices such as those that require an external power supply, 12VDC being the most common. :cool:
Any recommendations/suggestions for a good and reliable brand and model POE switch? probably 8 port or more. I am assuming that non POE devices like NAS devices etc. with their own power supply can also be attached to the POE switch. Thanks

Reaction score

firemaf96

n3wb
Reaction score
That will work as well.
Ok so I've decided on a 4 camera system narrowed it down to either Alibi PT50 or Empire Andy 4MP S3...I'm going to be using the BI software so wanted to know if there is a pre-built system that already has the correct surveillance HD install so I dont have to do it. The NVR through alibi is 750$ and with Andy around $500 (cost after I purchase and install HD) so is there a prebuilt SFF computer that I can buy and dont have to do anything other than load the BI software. Since I'd already be paying between 500 - 750$ I dont mind paying this for a SFF that is ready to go. Thank you

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This thread was started with that exact same question, so be sure to read through it. Many of us utilize small form factors (SFF) computers that we have bought used off EBay or other merchant sites. BI does not require a lot of CPU power, so you certainly don't need the "latest and greatest" computer and buying used can save you a lot of money. The added bonus is that normally these computers were sold with Windows Pro OEM software preinstalled on them which means you can usually install Windows on them without actually having to purchase a Windows license (even if the computer doesn't come with an OS installed). Even if you have to add your own system HD, the license is associated with the motherboard of the computer, so just connecting the computer to MS license validation system should validate the license if it had Windows OEM installed on it from the factory.

Long story short, you can easily find a suitable used computer for around $200-250 shipped. Add a suitable secondary HD for BI recordings and the BI software and you should be "good to go."