Which Computer Do I Buy To Run Blue Iris On? What Do You Use?

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you! I just placed the order so I should get it in a couple days. Now I have to purchase my cable and tools to get the installation started.

Should I purchase some POE Injectors? I read something about needing them if I have fiber optic internet. I don't know if that's true because I've only seen it one time while doing research.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! I just placed the order so I should get it in a couple days. Now I have to purchase my cable and tools to get the installation started.

Should I purchase some POE Injectors? I read something about needing them if I have fiber optic internet. I don't know if that's true because I've only seen it one time while doing research.
Those are great cameras!

Nope a POE injector is used instead of a POE switch, so if you have a POE switch then an injector isn't needed.

It doesn't matter whether your internet is fiber or copper cable or satellite as it relates to powering the cameras.

The exception would be if YOU ran fiber instead of ethernet cable from the camera to your computer/NVR then you would need adapters to go from fiber to ethernet, but anything on the provider side is irrelevant.

Where are you reading that it says you need that and that Reolinks are good LOL - is it The Hookup on YouTube :lmao:

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it too late to return the Reolinks? In addition to not playing well with BI, they are not known for night time performance with motion. Yes they give a great static image, but motion is horrible at night.

I need to check into that, which cameras do you recommend? I also am planning on purchasing 2/3 doorbells.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These are the cameras I use and are the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and they represent the best overall cams in terms of price and performance day and night. Wifi doorbells are ok as they shouldn't be for mission critical captures.

The 5442 above you mentioned is the current gold standard and you will see it prominently in these recommendations:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

May I suggest www.TrueCable.com for the cable and supplies.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those are great cameras!

Nope a POE injector is used instead of a POE switch, so if you have a POE switch then an injector isn't needed.

It doesn't matter whether your internet is fiber or copper cable or satellite as it relates to powering the cameras.

The exception would be if YOU ran fiber instead of ethernet cable from the camera to your computer/NVR then you would need adapters to go from fiber to ethernet, but anything on the provider side is irrelevant.

Where are you reading that it says you need that and that Reolinks are good LOL - is it The Hookup on YouTube :lmao:

I actually read it somewhere on Reddit. It was the only time I seen anything about fiber optic internet. I remember reading a comment to the poster that if he was on fiber internet that he would need a poe. I went back to look for it because I was going to link it here and now I can't find it.

Which cable is best for outdoors?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually read it somewhere on Reddit. It was the only time I seen anything about fiber optic internet. I remember reading a comment to the poster that if he was on fiber internet that he would need a poe. I went back to look for it because I was going to link it here and now I can't find it.

Which cable is best for outdoors?
Outdoors buried, or outdoors above ground?

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Outdoors buried, or outdoors above ground?

I love this website! It has a wealth of information for someone like me that's easy to understand. Cable will be above ground.
Thank you so much for all your help!

brad220

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to dump my lorex nvr in favor of a blue iris system. Would any of these machines be good to go with? I'm sure I can find a better deal, but honestly, anything under $200 seems like a great bargain to me. How future proof would these be? I'm currently running 8 lorex cameras and a reolink doorbell, but knowing me this will probably trigger a severe case of upgrade-itis soon after switching to a more powerful operating system lol

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to dump my lorex nvr in favor of a blue iris system. Would any of these machines be good to go with? I'm sure I can find a better deal, but honestly, anything under $200 seems like a great bargain to me. How future proof would these be? I'm currently running 8 lorex cameras and a reolink doorbell, but knowing me this will probably trigger a severe case of upgrade-itis soon after switching to a more powerful operating system lol
Looky looky, $155:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

brad220

n3wb
Reaction score
That must be an error in the listing.
Perhaps the T suffix belongs to a Micro PC version
I see from your sig that you're running the same computer that I just purchased (elitedesk g4). Are you pretty happy with it?

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see from your sig that you're running the same computer that I just purchased (elitedesk g4). Are you pretty happy with it?
I have essentially the same unit (I5-8500 version) and also highly recommend it: very stable, no issues, and low power consumption.

brad220

n3wb
Reaction score
Outside of a hard drive and the BI software, do I need to get anything else to get this up and running?

I'm thinking about starting with a single 8Tb Wd Purple, does cache size matter?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
8 TB covers 3 weeks maybe 3.5 weeks on my home system of 9-10 cams. 4 weeks now that i sent a few cams to a 3rd drive.
should be ok to go. I wouldn't worry about cache if its a WD purple. if noise is an issue where the PC is at....the 7200 Rpm 8TB's can be a little more noticable in the background than the 8TB 5640 RPM WD84PURZ drives,
Even a decent running Desktop drive will do for starters.
1701932671162.png