What's the real risk in buying "grey market" camera?

rtisys

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to the list; but have been reading it regularly for a few weeks now. I recently purchased
a wifi ip camera and returned it because the comms just weren't up to par. It kept dropping
connections and my security server complains that it sporadically would not provide images.
I have pretty decent wifi infrastructure (Cisco 2702 APs) so just decided to move to POE and
a better camera vendor. I am focusing on what appears (from what I see on this site)
to be the tier-one vendors, Hikvision and Dahua. I don't want to worry about image quality
and I think zoom will let me adjust the image field after I get it installed - so I'm looking at
a Dahua HFW4431R-Z.

So, here's my question...any thoughts would be appreciated. I know, roughly, what constitutes
a grey market product. But, in the case of ip cameras, just how big a deal is it really? I called
the Dahua US office looking for "official" retail outlets. Although they said there were a number of
them, they did not have a list. So, I checked the web and came up with a few vendors and
made some calls. One asked which model I was looking at. When I told them I was interested
in the HFW4431R-Z, they responded "that's a grey-market part number running the international
firmware package". They then translated that number into an "official US" part number and
quoted me a price of $300 (vs. Amazon $90). Ok, everyone needs to make a living and,
believe me, I know how much software support for a product can cost. But, I was envisioning
a grey-market camera as made-for-China market unit that had its firmware hacked
in someone's garage - not a camera with a well known part number (across all the ip
camera resellers I could find on the wed) and an "official" firmware load.

At least for these top two vendors, it appears to me that many of these cameras are
actual vendor products with, except for a minor modification, their firmware. Since
original market did not require English menus, something in the firmware was modified;
but it was not a major rewrite that puts camera functions at risk. But, with that
exception, its pretty much the same as the "official" product. As far as I can tell,
the actual risk comes from little or no access to firmware upgrades if a major software bug
is discovered - which might not be much of a risk if the unit has been sold and in use for
a year or so.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Chuck

KlaasDeB

n3wb
Reaction score
Chuck, in my opinion you are correct. Ofcourse the price difference is not just the firmware languages, import duties etcetera also add up to the cost. Buying from a Chinese vendor direct, these might add to your cost. That said, personally i would look at the 5431, not the 4431.

Let's get more input on this from other members.

Klaas

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Marku2 here is an example of what I found with purchasing IP cameras localy and over seas. I know nothing technical about cameras many here do so follow thier advice on what to pick. As to where to buy. My example will be Hikvision but Dahua follows suit. Hikvision 4mp cube camera, Nelly's 149.00, B&H Photo 271.00, and China $90.00 or less. These are the same cameras. Nellys are OEM, no logo, B&H factory item, Hikvision logo, China I quess you would call grey market, Hikvision logo. If money is the issue the choice is simple if service and warranty is what you want choice no so clear all provide a level of service. I chose Nellys as he are readily available.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Before answering the question of the thread title I think the definitions need to be clear, in that for this issue there are three Dahua camera types: "official", grey market, and chinese market.

official: Sold and supported through a distribution outlet approved by the manufacturer for the country the product is sold in. Warranted by the manufacturer and supported by the seller and/or manufacturer. Firmware can be updated. My sense is that a minority on this forum use this type.

grey market: Sold by a distribution outlet not approved by the manufacturer. Manufacturer provides no support or warranty. Same hardware and firmware as the official product, often without the manufacturer's logo. Support is only from the seller, and is variable from seller to seller. Firmware can be updated. This type is very popular on this forum.

chinese market (sold and used outside of china): Sold by a distribution outlet not approved by the manufacturer. Manufacturer provides no support or warranty. Hardware is different. Performance might be on par with non-chinese models or might be worse, on a product-by-product basis. Firmware is hacked to non-chinese language(s), and might be upgradable with somewhat advanced skills (don't count on it). Currently, the cameras work with non-chinese NVRs, this could change in the future. This type is somewhat popular on this forum.

To answer the question, the HFW4431R-Z is a chinese market camera. It is an incredible value with performance comparable to similar-spec non-chinese models. Other than responding to DOA out of the box, it likely carries no support from the seller, is difficult to upgrade, and could possibly cease to work with future nvr firmware. At roughly half the cost of a comparable grey market camera, it creates yet another of those difficult cost vs. risk tradeoffs.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I buy from 4 vendors around the world 2 are in China 1 in the U.K. And one in Australia.
They all sell western region cameras fully upgradable.thats the big one for me at half the price.
Here is an example in Australia there is a hikvision ptz camera selling for $1200 I can get the exact same camera in China for $520 I will buy two at that price and have on spare if it were ever to fail.yes I understand everyone has to make money,but why should we get ripped off.
The Chinese are making money out of them there happy.
I even buy audio amps from the states there about 1800 cheaper than the Australian price,grey imports that work well.
I just research pricing and sellers to make the best choice on purchases I can
I collect model cars I do the same there too.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Chuck, in my opinion you are correct. Ofcourse the price difference is not just the firmware languages, import duties etcetera also add up to the cost. Buying from a Chinese vendor direct, these might add to your cost. That said, personally i would look at the 5431, not the 4431.

Let's get more input on this from other members.

Klaas
If in Europe, most countries we can do free tax way, no need to pay any tax, as i know US, Australia never need any tax, we have way to avoid to pay any tax.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Avoid all china region cameras...the international region cameras that are firmware up-gradable and often built better with better sensor options are a few dollars more...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Marku2 here is an example of what I found with purchasing IP cameras localy and over seas. I know nothing technical about cameras many here do so follow thier advice on what to pick. As to where to buy. My example will be Hikvision but Dahua follows suit. Hikvision 4mp cube camera, Nelly's 149.00, B&H Photo 271.00, and China $90.00 or less. These are the same cameras. Nellys are OEM, no logo, B&H factory item, Hikvision logo, China I quess you would call grey market, Hikvision logo. If money is the issue the choice is simple if service and warranty is what you want choice no so clear all provide a level of service. I chose Nellys as he are readily available.
and you paid the fair mid price which is how it should be nellys sell at a fair good price and give good advice and will help there buyers, Ive watched a lot of there videos online really good company and there the ones we should support with our cash. not some stuck up multinational cctv company ripping us off thousands of dollars for a basic system,there are many very good Chinese sellers that wont rip you off too you just need to find them.

rtisys

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm getting a better picture of how these cameras are marketed. For such a
big industry, it appears that the ip camera retail market is still very confused. If I buy a Lenovo laptop, I can
pretty much read the reviews, pick the model number and search for a retail vendor. For IP cameras, there are both manufacturers
and tons of product relabelers that make it difficult to identify what you're getting and what vendor will be willing - and
able - to support it. Its all too reminiscent of buying a stereo system from someone you met in a bar. I guess most
of the real money is in selling to system installers and not so much in direct end user sales. "Buyer beware" is a
good motto to live by; but this situation is not conducive to building up trusted brands. "Dahua's are great cameras but
don't buy one made for the Chinese market" doesn't really build a reputation. (Question: don't Chinese end users want
a good image and a reliable platform too?)

So, I think the best course for me is to pick a retail vendor that I feel I can trust and not worry about the
manufacturer. And, by trust, I mean one that will provide a reliable product and be able
to support it in the future. I like to work my way through all the specs and shop around, but for ip cameras
I think there's too many unknowables at the moment. Had a good conversation w/Nelly's and
will probably go with them.

Regards,
Chuck

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm getting a better picture of how these cameras are marketed. For such a
big industry, it appears that the ip camera retail market is still very confused. If I buy a Lenovo laptop, I can
pretty much read the reviews, pick the model number and search for a retail vendor. For IP cameras, there are both manufacturers
and tons of product relabelers that make it difficult to identify what you're getting and what vendor will be willing - and
able - to support it. Its all too reminiscent of buying a stereo system from someone you met in a bar. I guess most
of the real money is in selling to system installers and not so much in direct end user sales. "Buyer beware" is a
good motto to live by; but this situation is not conducive to building up trusted brands. "Dahua's are great cameras but
don't buy one made for the Chinese market" doesn't really build a reputation. (Question: don't Chinese end users want
a good image and a reliable platform too?)

So, I think the best course for me is to pick a retail vendor that I feel I can trust and not worry about the
manufacturer. And, by trust, I mean one that will provide a reliable product and be able
to support it in the future. I like to work my way through all the specs and shop around, but for ip cameras
I think there's too many unknowables at the moment. Had a good conversation w/Nelly's and
will probably go with them.

Regards,
Chuck
This practice is common in many industries..and dahua or hikvision doesnt care what you think, in fact, they dont want you as an end user buying their cameras...

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is so true, in the UK there are now only 5 suppliers of Hikvision (official).

These are trade only. Now the reason behind this was to keep the available models as trade. now a lot of people have thrown their toys out of their prams over this, but again this was not about stopping people getting there hands on Hik cameras it's all about the marketing of their new range of DIY IP cameras soon to be launch.
This will also coincide with the launch of the new GUI in the 3Q 2017.

Bold move or stupidity we will soon seen.

Sorry Hikvision for the spoiler of your launch.

Also Hikvision have made another stupid move, stopping all product shipping by plane and moving to slow boat shipping with delays up to 3 months world wide on new products.

Last edited:

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If i order from Aliexpress to deliver to the United Kingdom:

NVR X 1
Camera x 4

Total £550

How much import duty will i have to pay?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If i order from Aliexpress to deliver to the United Kingdom:

NVR X 1
Camera x 4

Total £550

How much import duty will i have to pay?
Our free tax shipping way, no need to pay any tax. DHL have to pay 17% VAT as i know.