Whats the difference between AEBELL and ONVIF protocols?

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the difference between these protocols? I called my equipment supplier for tech support, and they highly suggested I use Aebell protocol instead of Onvif protocol. I thought Onvif is always the way to go. Why would they suggest that? Is Aebell more stable or something?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the difference between these protocols? I called my equipment supplier for tech support, and they highly suggested I use Aebell protocol instead of Onvif protocol. I thought Onvif is always the way to go. Why would they suggest that? Is Aebell more stable or something?

Thanks
Is aebell the camera/nvr manufacture? They are likely having you use the manufacturers default stream vs onvif which is a "universal" protocol. What is the issue? What is the setup?

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think aebell is. I'm using generic brand equipment all from the same supplier. 32ch nvr, 10 5mp Poe cams (3@5mp 7@3mp), all running through Poe switch. The issue I am having is most likely an IP conflict. Cameras will randomly drop out. The ones set at 5mp flicker in and out (on main stream) I don't think the nvr can handle 3 cams set at 5mp. Only having this problem with one client. Equipment is pretty solid though.
But is there a difference?? Is one better or more stable than the other?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think aebell is. I'm using generic brand equipment all from the same supplier. 32ch nvr, 10 5mp Poe cams (3@5mp 7@3mp), all running through Poe switch. The issue I am having is most likely an IP conflict. Cameras will randomly drop out. The ones set at 5mp flicker in and out (on main stream) I don't think the nvr can handle 3 cams set at 5mp. Only having this problem with one client. Equipment is pretty solid though.
But is there a difference?? Is one better or more stable than the other?
they are apples and oranges. Aebell is not a standard. It must be the manufacture of whatever device is letting you select it as an option. If it works, then the camera and nvr are likely made by the same manufacture so using their own profile would likely work best.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue I am having is most likely an IP conflict. Cameras will randomly drop out.
That's unlikely to cause random effects - it would be a bit more fully on or fully off.
You might have network congestion though, where the traffic levels can vary along with the consequences, this could cause the flickering or temporary loss of feed.
As @fenderman suggests - Aebell will be the manufacturer: http://www.aebell.us/About/1

Last edited by a moderator: