What is normal cpu usage?

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I pulled the card no change. I tried selecting nvidia hardware acceleration no change. I tried disabling the page file, I read somewhere that was giving someone else a problem. It didn't work for me. I uninstalled BI thinking that maybe because I installed in on my D drive might be an issue there and installed it on C drive. No difference. I went through 2 blogs and a couple ytube videos talking about making BI more efficient, no luck. I'm gonna try GStreamer instead of vlc to stream and see if that makes a difference.

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for fun I raised the bitrate on both streams to 2MB/sec each (4MB/sec total) and that rose the CPU load from 66% to 79%. I also lowered the stream 100kB/sec and CPU load went to down to 64%. I will still try GStreamer to see if it makes a difference. I might be wrong but I don't think my issue is related to the stream but rather something related to BI itself. Still open to try out anything you might think of. Thanks for all the help thus far.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for fun I raised the bitrate on both streams to 2MB/sec each (4MB/sec total) and that rose the CPU load from 66% to 79%. I also lowered the stream 100kB/sec and CPU load went to down to 64%. I will still try GStreamer to see if it makes a difference. I might be wrong but I don't think my issue is related to the stream but rather something related to BI itself. Still open to try out anything you might think of. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Its certainly not BI. We know for a fact that your light load would be at about 10 percent with your processor. Otherwise, no one would be able to use BI....This is not an optimization issue.

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what I meant was I think the CPU issue I'm having is related to BI or something in my computer, not the cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could try closing BI and opening both video streams in VLC to see the total CPU usage that way. It should be roughly comparable.

One thing that could cause such high CPU usage is if your CPU cooling is not working properly and it is thermal throttling. Use this program to view the temperature and clock speed.

i5-2500k should be between 3300 and 3700 MHz.

There's also a windows power settings option that can cause your CPU to reduce clockspeed and appear to be running at a high usage percent because of it.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, decrease the VIEW fps makes a huge CPU drop.
It willl not charge the recording, just the view on the monitor.
Settings, cameras, live fps.
I have mine at just 2 fps as i do not watch that much live and saves o lot of cpu.
I have 10 2Mp at 10fps running on a xeon e3-1265, as a service, direkt to disk, at 40% Bi4
Or a i7-2600s at about the same CPU load Bi5
The biggest tuning improvement was decrease live fps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, decrease the VIEW fps makes a huge CPU drop.
It willl not charge the recording, just the view on the monitor.
Settings, cameras, live fps.
I have mine at just 2 fps as i do not watch that much live and saves o lot of cpu.
I have 10 2Mp at 10fps running on a xeon e3-1265, as a service, direkt to disk, at 40% Bi4
Or a i7-2600s at about the same CPU load Bi5
The biggest tuning improvement was decrease live fps.
This is not needed with his low load. He has another serious issue causing the problem. He should be at 10 percent usage with that low load. Lowering the fps would simply mask the obvious issue he has..

Mofo84

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running a intel 10th gen i3 NUC with two 8MP cameras at the moment at 20fps this is my cpu usage Screenshot_20210225-031427_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpgScreenshot_20210225-031330_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008 Excellent idea, I'll check that out tonight when I get home. I replaced the heatsink and fan on the cpu a year or so ago. I was running 10degrees higher than normal I guess its normal after 7 years 24/7 use the thermal paste was drying out. I replaced it and ran a 4 hour stress test but it could be acting up. I am noticing some stuttering lately when playing Warzone so I might have a heat issue. Thanks for your input.

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How are you getting the date/time at the botton of the screen into the video feed? I asked that question yesterday and you never answered.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on his video, those are Blue Iris's text overlays. But they aren't very CPU intensive. Blue Iris decodes the video streams regardless (which is the CPU-intensive part) and has never re-encoded the video just because of the overlays either.

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran both streams in VLC with BI shut down and the CPU load was 6%, added a 3rd RasPi camera and it went to 9%. I have come to find out quicksync for the HD3000 gpu is not supported and isn't working in windows10. In the task manager it doesn't even show in the list under the performance tab. I switched the hardware encoding over to nVidia and it was decoding at 20% in task manager but oddly enough the CPU load values didn't seem to change. I had overlays enabled but have since disabled overlays and also "limit decode unless neccessary". I also verified that the power management was already set to high performance and min cpu set at 100% and also my cpu clock is good. Jeez this is wierd

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check Windows power settings if the temperatures are okay. In the Control Panel > Power Options > Change advanced power settings, there's several settings related to processor performance. Usually the minimum processor state default is I think 5% and usually that is not a problem, but in some cases it does cause problems.

1614271590832.png

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on his video, those are Blue Iris's text overlays. But they aren't very CPU intensive. Blue Iris decodes the video streams regardless (which is the CPU-intensive part) and has never re-encoded the video just because of the overlays either.
If it doesn't re-encode the video, how does it save the overlay? Or isn't it?

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes sir I did. I ran a stress test on my CPU , RAM and a speed test on my SSD. Everything was normal. My CPU jumped to 3.7Ghz under load and I was running 78degrees C. I did check my power options as you recommended and it was on high performance and the 3 settings you mentioned to look at were all at 100%.

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's weird is the CPU load hovers around 65% and then dips down to the low 40s and goes back up to ~65% and it seems to be a constant up and down cycle. You would expect the CPU load to be somewhat fluctuate randomly but it shows a definite pattern. I emailed BI support, maybe they have an idea what's going on. It baffles me that when I start BI it works great for the first 10-15 seconds with all the streams loaded and showing in live view, then boom the CPU load goes up