What is causing the green on my cam?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just noticed this anomaly this evening. I was looking at an alert from a 2MP camera using UI3 on the BI machine. The screen suddenly went green. I moved to the next clip. It, too, started fine but switched to green a lot faster. Went to the next clip. It came up green and heavily pixelated. I've run the same three clips through this laptop without any problems at all. I'm wondering if newer Intel CPU's, with onboard graphics drivers, are having some kind of problem. The laptop is an old i5 while the BI machine is a brand new i7-12700K. Another factor that's different between the machines is that the BI machine has NVidia cards as well. I'm not using HA at all, Intel or NVDEC but the additional driver may be conflicting somehow.

Last edited:

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's happening to me too in UI3. It only happens when I click on a single camera and will only do it for a second or two, then show the image. Noticed also that when it does it, FPS drops to 1.

green screen.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw that behavior running direct to wire but only on 4MP cameras. The playback problem is on 2MP cameras but on the BI machine itself, only.

allflameme

n3wb
Reaction score
Happened to me after recent update from 5.5.8.x to 5.5.9.x.
All goo in BI itself, UI3 will produce green image almost immediately after selecting one of the cameras. Tried updating Intel igfx drivers - no luck (i have 6th gen cpu).

As a temporary fix I switched from HTML5 player to WebCodecs (UI3 -> three vertical dots -> UI settings -> Video Player -> H.264 Player)
Someone mentioned to switch to the CBR - that also works with HTML5, but for me bandwidth is more important here

Also, seems like updating Chrome to the latest version fixed the issue for me (no green in any player now).

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Try using Edge, I am not seeing the green.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I rolled back to 5.5.8.2 and all green has disappeared. Has anyone contacted Ken about this?

ETA: My brother regularly logs into my public cameras and has never seen the green screens. That lends credence to it being a decoding issue on the client PC and not the server. For some reason, whatever format/encoding the server is sending post 5.5.8.x, it doesn't play well with my i5 PC (running Brave) or my Motorola Edge phone running (also running Brave).

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For me, it's only happening on one windows 10 machine. It hasnt happened to any other computer or my phone.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I rolled back to 5.5.8.2 and all green has disappeared. Has anyone contacted Ken about this?

ETA: My brother regularly logs into my public cameras and has never seen the green screens. That lends credence to it being a decoding issue on the client PC and not the server. For some reason, whatever format/encoding the server is sending post 5.5.8.x, it doesn't play well with my i5 PC (running Brave) or my Motorola Edge phone running (also running Brave).
Have you contacted Ken, the more he hears from the more priority he will put into finding the problem.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, anyone who can reliably reproduce this issue could try with different UI3 versions (Releases · bp2008/ui3 -- extract releases to different subfolders and then put the subfolder name into the URL) to help rule out UI3 changes as a cause.

I can't get the green video issue myself otherwise I would do it myself.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@bp2008 - I'm keeping the BI server at .8.2 (UI3 218) for now, but would be happy to try newer versions of UI3 to see if any of them trigger the green screen on my client PC. Is there any concern with newer versions being backwards compatible with 5.5.8.2?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
UI3-221 (latest) Should be okay @erkme73.
Ok, so having just bumped UI to the latest (221) while still running on 5.5.8.2, I regret to report:

1658399790389.png

Now, obviously I don't have the direct-to-wire feature (I think that started after 5.5.9.0?) so I don't see any such options in the UI3 settings. Does this help isolate the issue perhaps?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, obviously I don't have the direct-to-wire feature (I think that started after 5.5.9.0?) so I don't see any such options in the UI3 settings. Does this help isolate the issue perhaps?
Nope :(

The Direct to wire toggle switch is in the configuration for each streaming profile, not in the main UI settings.

Petenun

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm encoutering this too, however I think it's not BlueIris or WebUI, but rather Chrome (my default browser). In testing, I brought up WebUI in Chrome and simultaniously brought it up in Firefox. While Chrome displayed the green artifacting, Firefox did not on the same exact live view on the same exact computer. No other variables involved.

Excuse the large image, but Chrome is on the left, while Firefox is on the right, both displaying the same WebUI image.

2022-07-28 12_24_23-Osiris UI3 — Mozilla Firefox.png

Last edited:

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
h onboard graphics drivers, are having some kind of problem. The laptop is an old i5 while the BI machine is a brand new i7-12700K. Another factor that's different between the machines i
For what its worth, anyone who can reliably reproduce this issue could try with different UI3 versions (Releases · bp2008/ui3 -- extract releases to different subfolders and then put the subfolder name into the URL) to help rule out UI3 changes as a cause.

I can't get the green video issue myself otherwise I would do it myself.
I'm a little late to the party, but I can share some more data that may be useful. I use UI3 pretty much all day every day on several (8) different laptops from several manufacturers and with a wide variety of ages and specs. All of the laptops are running Windows 10 and I use Chrome almost exclusively. The green screen problem is showing up on all of the laptops. It is frequent but sporadic. I run 20+ cameras of various types and all cameras seem to be affected. All of my cameras run variable bit rates and low FPS - typically 5FPS. All of the cameras are hard-wired to a Cisco POE switch. Other than the green screen issue, my system has been very stable for several years.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm encoutering this too, however I think it's not BlueIris or WebUI, but rather Chrome (my default browser). In testing, I brought up WebUI in Chrome and simultaniously brought it up in Firefox. While Chrome displayed the green artifacting, Firefox did not on the same exact live view on the same exact computer. No other variables involved.

Excuse the large image, but Chrome is on the left, while Firefox is on the right, both displaying the same WebUI image.

View attachment 134803
I dumped chrome when I went to W11 and Edge works perfect. Now that Edge is chromium based, you can configure it to look just like Chrome. W11 will constantly hammer you to try it anyway so if you can't beat em join em :lol: But that being said, I love how much faster Edge is too, you just have to turn off the garbage and make it look like you want.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but I can share some more data that may be useful. I use UI3 pretty much all day every day on several (8) different laptops from several manufacturers and with a wide variety of ages and specs. All of the laptops are running Windows 10 and I use Chrome almost exclusively. The green screen problem is showing up on all of the laptops. It is frequent but sporadic. I run 20+ cameras of various types and all cameras seem to be affected. All of my cameras run variable frame rates and low FPS - typically 5FPS. All of the cameras are hard-wired to a Cisco POE switch. Other than the green screen issue, my system has been very stable for several years.
This may have fixed the green screen problem: turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome . Seems to be working so far.
Settings / System / Use hardware acceleration when available / off / Relaunch

Last edited: