What is causing the green on my cam?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the camera itself? When you log onto the camera's web GUI, do you see the same green screen?

If it is also on the camera: Have you powered off the camera and waited a minute or two before repowering it? If that doesn't work, I'd suggest doing a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, it might be a hardware issue.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I never thought about just the camera's web GUI. I did a side by side from ui3 to the camera's GUI. The camera's GUI did not do it.
What does that mean? Thanks again

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It means it's not the camera hardware itself, but something to do with how BI is reacting to the stream. (I'm assuming you are using BI based on the custom overlay).

What codex have you set the camera to use? H264, H265, H265+? Constant or variable bit rate? I think the most stable solution is H264 with a constant bit rate. If you are using other settings, try to switch to those and see if it makes a difference.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have H.264 with smart codec off, CBR. I have SVC set at 1(off).
Should I turn smart codec on? This has been running for several years. Until 2 days ago it had never happened that I had ever seen.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not use smart codec. It is not entirely compatible with Blue Iris.

Hardware accelerated decoding is often the culprit when there are visual glitches like this. Have you got that turned on for this camera?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I just found out it is not doing it directly in BI. When I go into my server and look at it directly in BI, no problems at all. It is when I am looking at it in ui3 that this is occurring. Am I the only one that has experienced that in ui3 and not on the BI server? So, you can disregard my comment about the smart codec.
Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a glitch in the video decoder on the system you run UI3 on. Try UI3's main menu > UI Settings > Video Player > H.264 Player. Change it to JavaScript and (reload the page and) see if that solves the problem. The JavaScript player is less efficient, but it is more predictable whereas the HTML5 player's behavior is extremely dependent on the hardware and drivers you run it on.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, I have a powerful rig that I am watching it on. GTX 1660 Ti with 6GB or GDDR6. I will check the latest drivers. I use studio driver from Nvidia instead of the typical one. There is an update for my graphic card so I'll try that. We'll see what happens.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I may have found the culprit. The other day I got a new ip address. When I went into ui3 it actually gave me a new ui3. Well, I didn't change the Base server Profile in the streaming profile, so it was set at VBR and not CBR. I have not noticed the green ever since.
Just a quick question about the streaming profile. What do you usually use for your streaming quality to view on a PC? Would you mind sharing what you use for Limit Bit Rate, Max Bit Rate etc. If not, I understand. Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear that UI3's VBR profiles would cause the green image. Technically all of Blue Iris's web server streaming is VBR, and the only difference with UI3's default "VBR" labeled profiles is that they use lower Max Bit Rate and quality settings in order to achieve drastically lower bandwidth consumption in most cases so it works better over slow internet connections and wifi.

Since I created UI3, the default streaming profiles are precisely my recommendations. For any device on wifi, I usually use one of the VBR (variable bit rate) choices. Likewise for most internet streaming due to not wanting to use excessive amounts of bandwidth. For any device on a local wired connection, I use the 2160p(4K) option because that delivers up to 8 Mbps bit rate with a quality setting of 50. 50 doesn't sound like high quality but with the scale that Blue Iris uses for H.264, 50 actually is quite good.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And it could be just a coincidence that changing it made any difference at all. I just went back in and changed the settings back to VBR and I am now not getting any green screens. You tell me what was going on. I don't know, but it is working fine now.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I went back into ui3 today, and that camera is giving me green every so often again. AAAHHHHH. Not a world ending event, but my OCD is killing me. LOL. I don't like it when things are not what they should be. I will keep trying to figure out what is happening.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This green pic more about hardware CMOS mould going defective, try to use black and white if green disappear then cam not doing well.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It does not do it in the Blue Iris server. It only does it on the ui3 on my PC and on my phone. When I look at it on the camera GUI it is fine. When I look at it on my BI server, it is fine, when I look at it on my remote PC through ui3, green every so often, and the same with my phone.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put it to black and white, and the green still appears in the ui3 on PC and phone. No green on camera gui or BI gui.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This green pic more about hardware CMOS mould going defective, try to use black and white if green disappear then cam not doing well.
It's definitely NOT the camera hardware because he can view the cameras in the stock GUI or even the core BI software and he doesn't see the green. In his case, the green is only showing up in the UI3 browser - therefore it has to be a UI3 issue (or a combination of BI and UI3 settings that aren't working well together).

Alan_F

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@The Automation Guy I just started seeing this today on some video. The same clip that is all green will usually be fine if I restart it. Sometimes the live feeds go green and clicking onto something else and coming back will fix it. It is definitely intermittent.

Did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing it for you? I've tried restarting my Chromebook and the Blue Iris service. I'm going to try another laptop and see if it is any better or worse.

Edit: My 2nd Chromebook didn't have the issue. I went into the settings (chrome:/flags) and turned off hardware accelerated video decode and it looks like it's stopped. Checking the settings on the 2nd Chromebook, it already had hardware acceleration turned off.

Last edited: