What is causing the green on my cam?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This may have fixed the green screen problem: turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome . Seems to be working so far.
Settings / System / Use hardware acceleration when available / off
Have you noticed any consequence of doing so? My CPU fan started screaming while playing back on UI3 and it didn't seem to be quite as fluid. I might just be imagining things, so I'll stick with it through a few restarts.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just started testing but haven't noticed any issues. I've confirmed that the green screen problem in Chrome goes away when I turn off hardware acceleration and comes back if I turn HA back on.
I'm wondering if HA used to be turned off by default and Google decided to turn it on by default in some update a while back when the green screen first started appearing?

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only get the green screen using UI3 on Chrome, and only one computer, an older i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. I changed the UI3 from HTML to Javascript. The issue has resolved.
BTW my server (i7-6700) never has green screen. Also my "main computer' an AMD 5-5900X with Nvidia RTX 3090 also has no issues even with Chrome.

Using Edge, Firefox, and Vivaldi gives ZERO issues on any system, even using HTML in the UI3. Actually Vivaldi is really starting to grow on me, it's faster than Chrome.

Attachments

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As soon as I use "HTML" or "AUTOMATIC" the green screen appears.
Setting it to JAVASCRIPT does NOT.
Help file pointed me to the answere. Don't know the dynamics of my i7-4770...and on Chrome... it's the only combination that causes the issue: Chrome+HTML/AUTOMATIC.

Attachments

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm... There may be a more pernicious aspect to this problem. I've noticed that in recent months I've been getting relatively frequent "New Version Available" messages from Chrome - where you click a button to update to the latest version.

That just happened on the laptop I'm working on at the moment. As I usually do, I clicked on the Update button. I then wondered if every time Chrome does one of these updates if it's resetting the "Use Hardware Acceleration" setting to ON. I checked right after the update and HA was turned ON. I'm, pretty sure that it had been turned OFF, because I don't need it and I've been changing all (about 10) laptops that I routinely use to OFF to fix the green screen problem.

I'm not 100% certain that it was set to OFF, so I'll have to watch more carefully the next time I get an update message from Chrome.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can confirm turning off hardware acceleration in chrome fixed the green screen problem. Changing encoding to Java in BI web also works but slows things down considerably. With hardware acceleration off I can set encoding to auto and no green screen.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Can confirm turning off hardware acceleration in chrome fixed the green screen problem. Changing encoding to Java in BI web also works but slows things down considerably. With hardware acceleration off I can set encoding to auto and no green screen.
Is there a way to do this on chrome/brave mobile browser?

Nm... Found it...

Screenshot_20220830-213417-586.png

NM2 that didn't workScreenshot_20220830-213632-788.png

Last edited:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I noticed this issue in late July/early August. It only happened in my default browser (chrome). I did turn off HW acceleration in Chrome and that fixed it but caused issues in other places (ie: websites that use a 3d view like house sales with a "walkthrough"). So I read here that changing the UI3 to javascript fixed it, which I did and so far I haven't noticed any more green screens. Thank God for forums with shared knowledge.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turning off acceleration in Chrome did not fix the issue. As soon as I turned back to Automatic or HTML then the green screen returned. Again it only happens with Chrome and for me on my I-4770 Never on my AMD computer using UI3

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone find a fix? I get it using the BI app for android. I don't notice it on the PC so far.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was seeing the green image issue with playback just from one Hikvision camera on one of my servers. The problem went away when I went into that camera's BI>Camera Settings>Video tab and changed Hardware Decode from Nvidia NVDEC to Default.