What else can I do to try and recover a bricked 2032 that I tried to update?

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Stupidly I tried to upgrade the firmware with the latest version I downloaded from Hikvision not realizing that I had an unauthorized Hikvision camera and it completely stopped working.

I've went through a bunch of guides that I found stickied here and the only one that even brought moderate success was the downgrading to 5.25 firmware. It never completely finished like the screenshots showed though. This is as far as I got:

Z7cexB6.jpg

Never any messages about kernel updated or the final "system update complete" like I saw in all the guide screenshots.

After that though, I could see the camera in SADP at an IP address I never set (192.168.1.64) and I can ping it but no luck getting the web interface, ftp, or telnet access.

In SADP, I can't change any settings. It fails every time. I've tried the default password and the password I had previously changed it to when the camera was working. I even tried to reset the password using the information here but that didn't work either... I don't know if it has something to do with the weird quotation in the middle of the camera serial number or what (DS-2CD2032-I0XXXXXX61¨CCXXXXXXXXXX7 --> X's are mine to obscure).

Are there any other steps I can take to try and recover this camera. I've definitely learned my lesson that if something isn't broke, don't fix it. The firmware it shipped with was working fine but I noticed a newer version and thought why not. Oops.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In SADP, I can't change any settings. It fails every time. I've tried the default password
There are a couple of defaults that precede the 'device activation' method - 12345 and 123456789abc
The 192.168.1.64 IP address is the new default IP address, replaces 192.0.0.64
As a long shot - try the 5.3.0 downloader again, but with changed language=1 with Hiktools.
You will likely get the camera back working - but with CN menus - using the Chinese firmware from here, section 02 : http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html
And there is a fair selection of EN firmware here: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Cameras/DS-2CD2xx2/
The version linked here has a language pack, would be worth trying : https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8545-DS-2CD2032F-I-stuck-on-Chinese-(?p=77616&viewfull=1#post77616
Just out of interest - what is the firmware version shown on the label, and do you have any recall of what showed originally in SADP or the web GUI?
If these were different, maybe also try your reseller to get a copy of what was on when purchased.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
There are a couple of defaults that precede the 'device activation' method - 12345 and 123456789abc
The 192.168.1.64 IP address is the new default IP address, replaces 192.0.0.64
As a long shot - try the 5.3.0 downloader again, but with changed language=1 with Hiktools.
You will likely get the camera back working - but with CN menus - using the Chinese firmware from here, section 02 : http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html
And there is a fair selection of EN firmware here: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Cameras/DS-2CD2xx2/
The version linked here has a language pack, would be worth trying : https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8545-DS-2CD2032F-I-stuck-on-Chinese-(?p=77616&viewfull=1#post77616
Just out of interest - what is the firmware version shown on the label, and do you have any recall of what showed originally in SADP or the web GUI?
If these were different, maybe also try your reseller to get a copy of what was on when purchased.
Thanks for the help. The original firmware was "V5.2.5 build 141201". And encoding version shows V5.0 build 140714.

None of those passwords worked. :(

Since I've recovered (at least to where I can see it in SADP, a lot of fields are missing that weren't before:

hikvision-sadp.JPG

It just seems strange to me that SADP sees it, and I can ping it but no web access, ftp or telnet.

I'll give the language change a try and see if I have any luck with that. Since the IP is now 192.168.1.64, do I need to be setting my computers IP to something other than 192.0.0.128 when using tftp to load the different firmwares?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
SADP shows that it's running in 'min-system mode' (firmware apparently 4.0.8). This is a recovery mode, with no web services, that's entered when something like incompatible firmware has been loaded, or the device has been tampered with in a protected area such as the 'hardware descriptor block' which defines region, serial number etc which are written during manufacturing.
You will need to spend some time with the tftp updater recovery procedure, with your PC set to 192.0.0.128 I'm afraid.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I finally got it up and running with the Chinese firmware you linked to (both direct form hikvision site and from the dropbox link in this thread). Of course, the web interface was all in Chinese so I used hiktools to switch the language to English and no luck. It just won't get to that final tftp of "Device[192.0.0.64]system update completed!" I've only got that with the chinese firmware before I modify it with hiktools.

I'll keep downloading and trying different firmwares and hopefully I luck out.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep downloading firmware to update the camera. Don't read this forum for best info 1st.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep downloading firmware to update the camera. Don't read this forum for best info 1st.
I have read a lot of threads on here and while it's been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction, it's still been a crapshoot in finding a firmware that will work. So far I've came across two chinese only versions that will load up. I'm justing hoping I can find one with english language support that will take.

I'm guessing there is no way to extract the existing firmware from another camera? I have two other of these cameras I bought at the exact same time and didn't attempt to upgrade them after this failure. If I could grab the firmware off of one of them, that would probably be my best hope of recovering it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's good that you have it back in a working state - albeit with Chinese menus.
So - maybe the next best thing to apply is this: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English
Which if it doesn't come up in English would then lead to the 'mtd hack' if the 5.2.5 you quoted was off the label.
Oh, and by the way, the Hiktools 'lang' option is to set the language flag on the firmware header, to avoid the camera rejecting the firmware due to language mismatch, as opposed to setting the language on the camera. If only!