What doorbell camera in 2022?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want a video doorbell

I do not want any monthly fee (cuz that sucks)

Looking at this forum, the cameras that have the most views/comments are:

RCA HSDB2A 3MP (Aug. 2018)

LTS (Sept. 2017)

Hikvision DS-KD8003-IME (Feb. 2019)

EZVIS DB1C (Dec. 2020)

I spent quite a few hours reading through these doorbell forms. Of course, there is no perfect doorbell camera.

If you have to buy a camera today, what would you buy? I'm OK with the initial camera being expensive, as long as there is no monthly fee.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would appreciate some feedback from anyone that has one of the above models, or one that is known to work with Blue Iris.
I have the LAView Halo One, for about 2+ years now, but it never keeps the same IP address and I can't seem to lock it into my router.
Now I can't get it to talk to BI so I'm ready for a replacement.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I never thought I'd say it, but I'm looking forward to the Reolink doorbell coming out this fall, with the POE option. I'll wait for reviews, but if I block it from the internet and use it with BI, it could be a decent replacement for my current wifi doorbell.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've tried several Reolink products over the last 2-3 years, had to return them due to one issue or another. I don't feel like they're dependable enough, especially when it comes to wifi reception. They have nice looking products and great brochures, but, for me, I've never kept one longer than the 30 days of trying it out.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've never purchased a Reolink product and mostly hear frustrations from other users here, although it sounds like recent firmware updates have improved compatibility with Blue Iris and addressed some of the biggest complaints.

I'm mostly curious about that upcoming doorbell because I've never seen a wired/POE doorbell in that standard form factor. All my cameras are wired except for my wifi doorbell so I'm curious to hear how this POE model performs. But I also get why many people will avoid Reolink at all costs :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had an EZViz DB1C, well actually still have it but it's powered down. It worked fine for a month or two, then started rebooting itself multiple times a day, up to 200 times a day or more at times. This results in no configuration and reconfiguring it that many times a day just isn't practical. I can't recommend the DB1C at all but others have had good results.

I have a Dahua VTO2311R-WP doing a burn-in test right now. PoE or 12VDC power and also can connect via WiFi. In my case if it isn't PoE it isn't' on my system. WiFi sucks for cameras. Even when the DB1C worked it dropped signal multiple times a day even with an AP less that four feet away. The 2231R-WP is larger than the DB1C, and others like the DB1C, but having PoE is well worth that to me.

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Dahua VTO2311R-WP doing a burn-in test right now. PoE or 12VDC power and also can connect via WiFi. In my case if it isn't PoE it isn't' on my system. WiFi sucks for cameras. Even when the DB1C worked it dropped signal multiple times a day even with an AP less that four feet away. The 2231R-WP is larger than the DB1C, and other like the DB1C, but having PoE is well worth that to me.
I didn't realize the Dahua VTO2311R-W has POE. I guess I better go read looney's review again!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just got done modifying the 2231R-WP for a mechanical chime.

tspevacek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had an EZViz DB1C, well actually still have it but it's powered down. It worked fine for a month or two, then started rebooting itself multiple times a day, up to 200 times a day or more at times. This results in no configuration and reconfiguring it that many times a day just isn't practical. I can't recommend the DB1C at all but others have had good results.

I have a Dahua VTO2311R-WP doing a burn-in test right now. PoE or 12VDC power and also can connect via WiFi. In my case if it isn't PoE it isn't' on my system. WiFi sucks for cameras. Even when the DB1C worked it dropped signal multiple times a day even with an AP less that four feet away. The 2231R-WP is larger than the DB1C, and others like the DB1C, but having PoE is well worth that to me.
I have purchased 2 of the units thinking 1st one was faulty. I swapped 3 different transformers thinking it was a power issue even though each transformer tested fine. The inconsistency of functions with the Doorbells pushed me to just put a nest doorbell in to keep the wife happy. My network is a TP link Omada full set up and the signal is good even when you get outside of my property line so I was pretty sure the wifi signal was not the cause of the drop outs. As much as I hated going the nest route the door bell has been up and running with Zero issues for about 9 months straight. The ease of use for the wife is great with it but it is not tied into my Blue Iris which is the major draw back. A POE option would be great as I have no issues pulling wires to where they need to go. Hell I even pulled new wire to the EZviz location to 100% rule out the power even when their tech support claimed that had to be the issue. I have a detached Garage and a Pavillion with direct burial Cat 6 running to both of them with a back up line pulled while doing the runs. I love me some POE.

Reaction score
I have the Dahua VTO (I forget model number.... it's the one Looney reviewed for the villa intercom system). For camera purposes, it works 100% (wide angled fish eye lens that is not too bad for the optical distortion, great motion detection from the camera itself, and can intercom any number of VTH sister units inside the house, which I have 3. This system is not touted as a 'doorbell' system but rather an intercom system. However, it is easy to convert to a doorbell system if you have home automation. Also sure you can somehow do wiring magic to hook up a standard doorbell chimer (which I have not done).
1.) The VTO integrates into Blue Iris with a breeze and acts as any camera would.
2.) It integrates nicely with Home Assistant via MQTT and the Home Assistant Dahua Camera Integration add-on. Which in turn means you can have Z-wave, WiFi, or Zigbee devices to act as a siren/speaker...or if you have whole house audio, for audio notifications.
3.) Additional VTH remote monitors through out the house which means do not have to rely on cloud or smartphone use.
4.) still can answer on the smartphone when away from house using VPN and the DMSS application (which is a hybrid of cloud notification and local VPN answer/talk/see).
5.) downside is it's not $40
6.) fish eye lens captures nearly 180 degrees left/right/up/down which is a requirement for any door camera. crystal clear images of someone 2 feet away and pretty darn nice images from 50' away.
7.) my model (I am thinking..2202F-P?) is not WiFi but POE direct cabled.

I was going to buy a cheaper single purpose video doorbell, like options mentioned above by OP. But then got to thinking of above and beyond just a video doorbell. The VTO/VTH villa intercom system was the answer I was looking for.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I still say if it isn't PoE it isn't worth the money. Also, remember Amcrest is an OEM of Dahua that is typically built at reduced cost, IE reduced features along with everything else being reduced in quality to make the price point.

Nest is nice if you like open ports and P2P. The DB1C I had was not allowed out onto the internet once it was configured. Events were handled by BI, PushOver and regular push notifications.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Holbs , seems like you've got a lot of this figured out. Maybe I can ask how you have yours set up?

Regarding #4, it sounds like maybe you use some kind of integration to know when the dorobell button is pressed, and that triggers some kind of cloud-based notification (PushOver, Telegram, etc). Then once you received the notification, you use your phone to log into your home VPN and fire up an app that does the 2-way talk and video? Would love to know more about what you use for the different steps of that process? Like, how do you know the button is pressed - MQTT? What app you use to do the local-LAN 2-way talk and video - you call it DMSS? Does it work well over mobile?

#3 - Do you use the hardware VTH monitors that Dahua sells as a kit with the VTO2202F ? Wondering if a 3rd party Android app on a tablet would also work well, perhaps the same DMSS app that you use in #4, but installed on a permanent wall-mounted tablet?

Curious if the firmware on your unit lets your set DHCP, rather than static IP address? I like to manage IP in the router via DHCP reservations.

Lastly, the integration w/ MQTT and Home Assistant - does the Dahua camera itself support MQTT natively so you don't need Home Assistant, or is the Home Assistant Integration using Dahua's API and then re-publishing events as MQTT?

I have the Dahua VTO (I forget model number.... it's the one Looney reviewed for the villa intercom system). For camera purposes, it works 100% (wide angled fish eye lens that is not too bad for the optical distortion, great motion detection from the camera itself, and can intercom any number of VTH sister units inside the house, which I have 3. This system is not touted as a 'doorbell' system but rather an intercom system. However, it is easy to convert to a doorbell system if you have home automation. Also sure you can somehow do wiring magic to hook up a standard doorbell chimer (which I have not done).
1.) The VTO integrates into Blue Iris with a breeze and acts as any camera would.
2.) It integrates nicely with Home Assistant via MQTT and the Home Assistant Dahua Camera Integration add-on. Which in turn means you can have Z-wave, WiFi, or Zigbee devices to act as a siren/speaker...or if you have whole house audio, for audio notifications.
3.) Additional VTH remote monitors through out the house which means do not have to rely on cloud or smartphone use.
4.) still can answer on the smartphone when away from house using VPN and the DMSS application (which is a hybrid of cloud notification and local VPN answer/talk/see).

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Holbs , seems like you've got a lot of this figured out. Maybe I can ask how you have yours set up?

Regarding #4, it sounds like maybe you use some kind of integration to know when the dorobell button is pressed, and that triggers some kind of cloud-based notification (PushOver, Telegram, etc). Then once you received the notification, you use your phone to log into your home VPN and fire up an app that does the 2-way talk and video? Would love to know more about what you use for the different steps of that process? Like, how do you know the button is pressed - MQTT? What app you use to do the local-LAN 2-way talk and video - you call it DMSS? Does it work well over mobile?

#3 - Do you use the hardware VTH monitors that Dahua sells as a kit with the VTO2202F ? Wondering if a 3rd party Android app on a tablet would also work well, perhaps the same DMSS app that you use in #4, but installed on a permanent wall-mounted tablet?

Curious if the firmware on your unit lets your set DHCP, rather than static IP address? I like to manage IP in the router via DHCP reservations.

Lastly, the integration w/ MQTT and Home Assistant - does the Dahua camera itself support MQTT natively so you don't need Home Assistant, or is the Home Assistant Integration using Dahua's API and then re-publishing events as MQTT?
Lets see...
I have not figured EVERYTHING out yet about the VTO and VTH. My situation demanded me to get something going immediately due to an ongoing security event so I only concentrated on specifics. There is more to the VTO that I'd like to figure out (integration into SIP phone system, for example).
How my VTO is setup. I initially bought the package kit from Andy which came with a single VTO, a single VTH, a single POE switch (KPT01 or something like that. Installed it on the surface of the front door wall instead of recessed due to being unsure of it's position and not wanting a gaping 4"x4" square hole there as a booboo. It has been there for over a year so I think it's time to put it to bed and make it recessed. #74 on my to-do list. I like it's height as it captures the floor (for any fedex/ups/amazon packages that arrive) and it captures facial ID from down low (incase someone is wearing baseball cap or such).
As to to the configuration: I have a very specialized setup that confuses folks because I had to due to fore mentioned security event.
1.) I am in error. Not using MQTT at all for VTO purposes. I am using Home Assistant Dahua Integration service for Home Assistant which is local and not API based (i could be wrong about this but it's not cloud dependent). Also here on IPCT: Looking for feedback and testing of my Dahua Home Assistant integration (via HACS) Call button is pressed, Home Assistant is notified...and now a whole array of any automation can be done. I have a Z-wave Zooz multi-siren that acts like my doorbell ringer after uploading a little .wav doorbell sound file to it. I also tinkered with flashing lights on and off inside the house that are on Z-wave switches but eh.... the Zooz does mighty fine. I also have my bedroom smart tv switch on when call button is pressed to show UI3 which in turns shows the outdoor camera grid including the VTO camera. I mean, once you get Home Assistant or whatever home automation software involved, anything is possible.
In addition to the HA Dahua Integration, I am using the VTO built in communication as well which has 2 parts. Mind you, I have P2P and UPnP turned off/not checkmarked at all. That is a big nono for security purposes! Part 1: the 'mobile push notifications' IS checkmarked and turned on. This tries to send out notification to both Android and Apple internet notification servers (this is hardcoded, unsure if can ever be edited)....this also means the VTO has to have internet access. I made a firewall rule to only allow the VTO to talk to Google IP's since I have an android and nothing else. If I had an iPhone, I would only allow to Apple. This is how you get the notification on your smartphone with the DMSS application. Part 2: the DMSS application itself is where you get the ringing, button to answer, video, audio, etc. I had a VPN always-on so the VTO is allowed to jump over to different local VLAN to the VPN VLAN so all this can happen.
Due to remodeling going on, all 3 of my VTH's are not in use at the moment. Eventually, I will have one in the main bedroom, kitchen, and woodworking garage workshop. Could I skip all the VTH's and just use the DMSS app? Sure, but I do not always have the smartphone with me.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll throw the Amcrest AD410 in the mix. I've owned one since the beginning of the year. It's strictly a WIFI doorbell, but does integrate nicely with Blue Iris and no monthly fee associated with it.
Completely agree. I've had an AD410 for almost year. It's been rock solid.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll add don’t bother with the EZVIZ DB1 door bell either. The unit looks great and comes with lots of functional accessories. Easy to install and set up and the overall features and quality of video is good.

The build quality is also very good.

Having said that this unit runs warm to hot. The WiFi on these units are utterly shit! Having to literally hard reboot the system at random times from a month to three months is ridiculous.

The EZVIZ Support people are just retarded and clueless. Their engineers are pretty much wash outs that only got the job because no one else wanted it!

As I stated in another thread I would have never ever bought any EZVIZ product if it wasn’t a gift or part of the Alpha / Beta project I’m involved in.

I have no clue how the parent company (Hikvision) allows such shit products to be made and supported by their EZVIZ cast off affiliates?!?

The hardware has so much potential but like many things in the market it’s designed and built to a dollar value. Even that isn’t a valid excuse because there are countless products which just work. There is zero drop out, no need to hard reboot, doesn’t run warm to hot!

This just makes larger companies like Dahua / Hikvision look like incompetent ass clowns!

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the details. Regarding the DMSS application, what's the actual name of the app? Is it available on the Android playstore? Wondering if it's something specific to Dahua or some other generic DMSS app that uses a standard protocol?

As for notification on button press - if you're using the Home Assistant integration, and the integration allows you to know when the button is pressed, then couldn't you do your Android notification based on that? Rather than giving the VTO internet access to do the Android notification and building firewall rules around that?

Part 1: the 'mobile push notifications' IS checkmarked and turned on. This tries to send out notification to both Android and Apple internet notification servers (this is hardcoded, unsure if can ever be edited)....this also means the VTO has to have internet access. I made a firewall rule to only allow the VTO to talk to Google IP's since I have an android and nothing else. If I had an iPhone, I would only allow to Apple. This is how you get the notification on your smartphone with the DMSS application. Part 2: the DMSS application itself is where you get the ringing, button to answer, video, audio, etc. I had a VPN always-on so the VTO is allowed to jump over to different local VLAN to the VPN VLAN so all this can happen.

Reaction score
Thank you for the details. Regarding the DMSS application, what's the actual name of the app? Is it available on the Android playstore? Wondering if it's something specific to Dahua or some other generic DMSS app that uses a standard protocol?

As for notification on button press - if you're using the Home Assistant integration, and the integration allows you to know when the button is pressed, then couldn't you do your Android notification based on that? Rather than giving the VTO internet access to do the Android notification and building firewall rules around that?
unknown. At the time, I was in a rush to get it working so did not dig deep into it. I assume there is a round about way but never found a quick answer.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll say that I haven't had any issues out of my EZVIZ DB1 or DB1C cameras. The DB1 is probably over two years old and the DB1C is probably a year old now. Both have been in continuous operation since I purchased each of them and I've had zero problems with them. I have a decent power supply and multiple wireless APs around the house to ensure good wifi coverage. Those two things can play a huge role in how reliable these camera are. I also only use them to feed my BI machine via their RSTP feeds. I have never tried to use the OEM app/software for anything other than setting up the cameras. I know the cameras will loose sync with the OEM software after just a few hours usually. I've always assumed it's because the cameras cannot access the internet and therefore cannot "call home" to the EZViz servers.

For a wireless camera that uses your existing doorbell wiring, I think the DB1C is as good an option as anything else available today. But I would certainly recommend the DB1C over the DB1 because the image quality is much better on the DB1C.

If you can use POE at the front door, then that opens more possibilities and the DB1C may not be the best choice.