What doorbell camera in 2022?

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatever came of this db camera?
yea, really wanted someone to buy and be the guinea pig.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an easy viz it is dying a short death. It takes direct sun and now after 18 months I have to power cycle it to get it online. Then it stops.

it still works the chime but as a camera it is dead. Need to warranty it out.

one major reason I can’t even look at the new UniFi as it is reported to have a super low heat toleration. Figure even if I need to spend premium money I need something that can take direct sunlight for extended periods. I am likely out of luck and should stick with the cheaper options on a rotation.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had the Lorex 2K (same as AD410, Dahua and IMOU) since December.
It's been great, solid reception and great picture.
I would get the Reolink POE in a heartbeat if I had ethernet cabling running up to the doorbell.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had the Lorex 2K (same as AD410, Dahua and IMOU) since December.
It's been great, solid reception and great picture.
I would get the Reolink POE in a heartbeat if I had ethernet cabling running up to the doorbell.
has there been a review sample out?

rtsp?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have an AD410 which I'm happy with. When I built our new house, I pulled Cat6 to the doorbell location. I'm intrigued by the POE Reolink. I'm going to try and find some reviews to check it out. All 16 of my cameras are Dahua, except for my Amcrest AD410 doorbell cam. I know Reolink is not the right choice, but I'm curious about this doorbell cam since it offers POE. Will it integrate with BI?

Last edited:

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
has there been a review sample out?

rtsp?
I'm not sure what that means about the review sample. There is RTSP yes.
It can also be configured through the SmartPSS software, but when changing some settings is screws up the video; however this is not permanent and a factory reset fixes it, but a hassle. The Amcrest 410 seems to have the API kits which works with it, the Lorex is locked out in this regard.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its down to like 55 bucks
I would try it at $55 if it can be powered off the doorbell wiring; where do you see it at $55??
I can't get ethernet there, but it's my side door, and really it would be ideal to get a camera on the side as I don't have a way to get power for any camera there.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just placed my pre-order for the $87 Reolink POE doorbell today. The estimated shipping date is October 17, 2022. I'm very skeptical it'll work well with BI, but I'm looking forward to comparing it to my current wifi LaView LV-PDB1520F1 (rebranded Hikvision DS-KB6403-WIP).

I would still much prefer UniFi G4 Doorbell Pro, but I'm not in the UniFi ecosystem so can't justify it.
Did you get the reolink yet? I see its out of stock on their website. Or does that mean its not for sale yet? I'm also looking for a poe doorbell camera. Seems like slim pickings. I am not interested in blue iris. Maybe I should be, but i run linux server, dont think I would get into windows, even under VMs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just placed my pre-order for the $87 Reolink POE doorbell today. The estimated shipping date is October 17, 2022. I'm very skeptical it'll work well with BI, but I'm looking forward to comparing it to my current wifi LaView LV-PDB1520F1 (rebranded Hikvision DS-KB6403-WIP).

I would still much prefer UniFi G4 Doorbell Pro, but I'm not in the UniFi ecosystem so can't justify it.
Let us know how it works. While reolink as a company had major issue with blue iris which they denied for years but finally fixed, they are the only only brand that has introduced an onvif compatible door that is POE at a very reasonable price - under 100 that is onvif compatible with a wireless chime - not sure if more than one chime will work. Others should take note. Its shameful that we dont have other reasonable choices.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had the VTO2301R-P running now for about 5 months or so and so far I am still happy with it. I use it with my BI and also the DMSS app for my phone and I have an extra Ipad on a magnetic stand in the living room I use to answer it as well. Was a big learning curve for me setting it up but Andy had one of his friends call to help me out. I will say the only thing I wish is that the picture quality was a little higher, but then its a doorbell cam and I have other cams installed as well...1664403062676.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
my Amcrest AD110 went off line yesterday for whatever reason. this marks the 4 time, BI has shown me the "no signal", image on the console,,,each time I have to crack the cover off the doorbell and try to rejoin the Wifi connection. and the fucking Wifi is literally 7 feet away thru a wall. and I get a connection in the back fucking yard with the Asus RTAX55. SO fuck mi....
The POE door bell would be more reliable and is way past due for the marketplace.
Thankfully the door bell functionality remains when it goes off grid.
Maybe the Profiteers dont want a doorbell that is not a Rockstar million unit a week seller.

Swami

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Dahua VTO (I forget model number.... it's the one Looney reviewed for the villa intercom system). For camera purposes, it works 100% (wide angled fish eye lens that is not too bad for the optical distortion, great motion detection from the camera itself, and can intercom any number of VTH sister units inside the house, which I have 3. This system is not touted as a 'doorbell' system but rather an intercom system. However, it is easy to convert to a doorbell system if you have home automation. Also sure you can somehow do wiring magic to hook up a standard doorbell chimer (which I have not done).
1.) The VTO integrates into Blue Iris with a breeze and acts as any camera would.
2.) It integrates nicely with Home Assistant via MQTT and the Home Assistant Dahua Camera Integration add-on. Which in turn means you can have Z-wave, WiFi, or Zigbee devices to act as a siren/speaker...or if you have whole house audio, for audio notifications.
3.) Additional VTH remote monitors through out the house which means do not have to rely on cloud or smartphone use.
4.) still can answer on the smartphone when away from house using VPN and the DMSS application (which is a hybrid of cloud notification and local VPN answer/talk/see).
5.) downside is it's not $40
6.) fish eye lens captures nearly 180 degrees left/right/up/down which is a requirement for any door camera. crystal clear images of someone 2 feet away and pretty darn nice images from 50' away.
7.) my model (I am thinking..2202F-P?) is not WiFi but POE direct cabled.

I was going to buy a cheaper single purpose video doorbell, like options mentioned above by OP. But then got to thinking of above and beyond just a video doorbell. The VTO/VTH villa intercom system was the answer I was looking for.
Hello Holbs,

I was looking at getting a video doorbell and I came across this post. Do you still think the Dahua VTO2202F-P is a good choice?

My criteria are:
Easily compatible with Blue Iris
Prefer POE
No Internet access needed (LAN access with VPN is fine, I'm really big on privacy and no external access to my cameras)

I don't have my system built yet so I can do just about anything.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hello Holbs,

I was looking at getting a video doorbell and I came across this post. Do you still think the Dahua VTO2202F-P is a good choice?

My criteria are:
Easily compatible with Blue Iris
Prefer POE
No Internet access needed (LAN access with VPN is fine, I'm really big on privacy and no external access to my cameras)

I don't have my system built yet so I can do just about anything.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
The VTO does exactly what it is meant to be. It's a "Villa intercom" device, not a doorbell. However, many use it as a doorbell like myself. The added benefit is that you can add multiple VTH's throughout the house which means you do not need the smartphone always attached to your hip to answer the call button and see video (can unlock door if you have electric locks). The VTH's can also intercom other VTH's, like a true intercom. Can integrate into Home Assistant (or your home automation of your choice) to open up even more possibilities.
It does ONVIF so compatible with Blue Iris, yes.
It is POE (not WiFi), yes.
It can be configured for no internet access (turn off P2P and such) and you can block the IP from outbound firewall rules.
It's a fish eye lens so captures the surrounding area nicely.
Through an odd way of interconnectivity, I have my VTO blocked from all IP except Google push notification service IP's (I had to do this to get the notifications on my Android smartphone when the call button is pressed) and then allow the service to my always-on VPN for the video/sound. Otherwise, you would have to use the Dahua cloud server to handle all of this.
Since it's purpose is a device meant to concentrate on an intercom dutes, I have it using it's own motion detection as it does NOT have IVS (tripwires, intrusions box, etc) like a regular IP camera has, which it does quite well.
All in all, the VTO along with multiple VTH works very nicely and I would recommend as long as folks do not compare this to a full blown IP camera and understand this device is meant for immediate vicinity of the VTO.
Most folks pass over the VTO/VTH combo due to it's price. It's not $40, it's not $100. Thankfully, it's not Doorbird price of $500+.

Last edited: