What do you think of this Battery backup?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Wowee, thats a lot of batteries!
Not when its compared to the server farms I used to manage and work in . . . One entire foot ball field is dedicated to just batteries which are the first line of defense while the six diesel generators spool up.

So when I say my system is comparatively small - its small! :rofl:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Found some really old photo's of another set of UPS & Extended cells on dollies getting staged for the third server rack. All of the controllers have a AP9631 NMC which incorporates both temperature & humidity sensors.

As noted early on to achieve a 2N + 1 topology ATS and load balancers are in place or being staged for deployment. This is the forth unit on the floor getting updated and tested before it goes into the 5th rack.

This is one of four AP7750A ATS that were under validation tests prior to being commissioned. A power transfer redundancy tests was performed spanning a month long burn in test.

This and all of the other monitoring systems confirm and validate the changes in the electrical power system in my home is solid and ready to operate in a grid down event.

The tests encompass sag, surge, transfer time, and complete loss of primary & secondary power. This is captured by the AP7750A ATS and other backup monitoring systems.

Once the systems indicate Green Good 2 Go I move on to the next round of tests. :banghead:

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
At my local Cyrus One they have just started swapping all the lead acid for LiFePO4. 80% space savings!

I really want some Enphase Encharge 10 batteries to go with my solar, but the output is so poor. $7K and they output 3.8kw... So I'd need at the very least 4, and that only covers half the output of my generator.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
At my local Cyrus One they have just started swapping all the lead acid for LiFePO4. 80% space savings!

I really want some Enphase Encharge 10 batteries to go with my solar, but the output is so poor. $7K and they output 3.8kw... So I'd need at the very least 4, and that only covers half the output of my generator.
At the end of the day the primary goal should not be lost on anyone which is to have Something in place. Don't let anyone ever push you toward a solution that doesn't make sense! If we were all made of money anything could be had and in place. So, don't let all of these bells & whistles I show here in the forums dissuade you from getting something in place. We are start from nothing and as time and finances allow we update and grow the systems.

Lots of people smoke, drink, gamble, etc . . .

My hobby is my home as such invest into the same because its fun and the end result is my family is safe & secure!

Rock On . . . :headbang:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do your UPS units have built in ability to clean up dirty AC power?

I run a 1250 watt pure sine wave inverter with built in transfer switch and charger, tied to a couple 12v 105aH batteries. It has less than 20ms transfer time. My CPU is not affected when power goes out. I haven't done the math, but it should give me enough time to get home and fire up the small generator if power hasn't come back on by then. Will probably last for days if the sump pumps are not running too. Not sexy, but it works.

No power cleaning ability, but I have a whole house surge unit and small surge protectors at every outlet with electronics.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Well the draw to an Encharge 10 would be the entire house would be essentially on a double conversion UPS

I skipped all the batteries in the UPS just because I have a 27kw NG Generator, it takes around 20 seconds from power loss to the ATS flipping over

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score

I run a 1250 watt pure sine wave inverter with built in transfer switch and charger, tied to a couple 12v 105aH batteries. It has less than 20ms transfer time. My CPU is not affected when power goes out. I haven't done the math, but it should give me enough time to get home and fire up the small generator if power hasn't come back on by then. Will probably last for days if the sump pumps are not running too. Not sexy, but it works.

No power cleaning ability, but I have a whole house surge unit and small surge protectors at every outlet with electronics.
If its double conversion it will, you can tell when I switched to one. This chart is output voltage from the UPS

1627052942039.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

Not sure if the question is being posed to me vs others but this is what's in place as it pertains to Dirty Power. At a high level no one can change what comes into the home via the POCO so if your utility is known for shitty power - you have shitty power. If you're like me our utility provides clean and reliable power all of the time so there isn't a lot I have to worry about in generalities.

Now . . .

Regardless of how clean the power coming into the home is every home generates its own Dirty Power. This comes from anything with a motor / compressor like a fridge, freezer, sump, well pump, HVAC, etc. Lots of people focus on the Act of God lightning events but every day your home is seeing micro sags, lulls, surges, spikes, etc. This is why any form of filtering or AVR must be deployed in a tiered fashion from service entrance, service, panel, inline, and point of use.

Remember an ordinary so called SPD (Surge Protective Device) offers absolutely no protection for a voltage sag (Brown Out). A voltage sag is one of the most dangerous conditions that can happen besides a slowly rising voltage that exceeds 130 VAC. When voltage falls many highly regulated electronics that try to maintain a defined voltage will increase in current draw.

This is why so many things go poof during a brown out event . . .

As stated here and many other places this is why when its possible always purchase devices that support a wide multi voltage operating range. Devices that support 120 ~ 240 VAC will easily sustain a 140 ~ 150 VAC creeping rise if present. The same is not true for any common electronics that was designed to operate in the 120 VAC region. Not all AVR's are designed or built the same and this comes down to again when does it cut in vs cut out.

Many of the more expansive AVR' / UPS allow the user to fine tune and limit the upper and lower limit. Whereas cheaper ones offer nothing that the electronics wasn't going to do by default! :facepalm:

Seen below I can limit all three ranges within each band and even fine tune within the same.

One of the UPS in its default state getting ready to be fine tuned.

So all of the above only addresses line voltage and doesn't have any relations to other harmonics possibly on the line. This is where different types of filtering come into play whether it be simple resistor network, capacitor, chokes, RLC filtering etc. For those who get really serious or operate in a high risk environment isolation transformers and optical relays (SSR) are used as is in my home in various places.

It goes without saying having the ability to monitor all of these events provides facts and not guess. Here is just a old snippet of power monitoring in my home while everything was getting deployed. It should be noted I programmed the monitor to capture the slightest out of band events which are completely fine in the real world! I did this mainly to see how the micro sag / surges impacted my automated safety programs and wanted to avoid as many false positives.

Everyone likes to see a graph.

Hawko777

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a rack with no backup power supply...running a
1.HP i5 8500 Elitedesk sff for BI
2. a dlink router
3.a Cisco 3650 802.3at 24 port switch
4. and a Nightowl 16 ch DVR.....
thinking about buying this to keep the switch and the computer and the router up. Had a 17 minute power outage yesterday. and again 2 of the Dahua 180 Wide angle fisheye's went wonky.
last time i had to bring them into the shop and do a reset. 3 others just like it, seem to handle it ok.....
I like APC myself. I have a 3000Va UPS and its programmable.
It runs;
8 ch Hikvision NVR + cams
24 Port Dlink managed switch
Ubiquiti Router
Ubiquiti Wireless Internet 500mm dish
3 x Ubiquiti AP's
VOIP Router
Home Tower Computer and Monitor
Printer
The last two are set to automatically switch off after 5 mins to reduce draw.
I get approx 3hrs of battery life.
Quality components filter the power in and out, brown outs and blackouts are easily managed. LCD display and all the fruit.
Def get what you pay for IMHO.

I've had cheaper UPS systems before, and they've failed.
Good luck in your decision.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LConley

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a power supply/charger charging my 120 AH batteries, I run my NUCs, modems, routers, and switches directly from the batteries. This is providing in excess of 24 hours of power. The whole setup costs less than a double conversion 1.5KVA online UPS.