What do you think of this Battery backup?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a rack with no backup power supply...running a
1.HP i5 8500 Elitedesk sff for BI
2. a dlink router
3.a Cisco 3650 802.3at 24 port switch
4. and a Nightowl 16 ch DVR.....
thinking about buying this to keep the switch and the computer and the router up. Had a 17 minute power outage yesterday. and again 2 of the Dahua 180 Wide angle fisheye's went wonky.
last time i had to bring them into the shop and do a reset. 3 others just like it, seem to handle it ok.....

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like Tripp Lite devices, have had good luck with them. That one appears to be rated well

I had a smaller, horizontal 750VA unit for about 8 years, even put a new set of batteries in it after close to 4; it worked well and was called upon MANY times to keep my PC up, what with these rural AL power ups/downs, outages, etc. If the local co-op utility is lax on vegetation management/tree trimming. the power blips when a squirrel farts.

I've also had good luck with this APC ==>> APC UPS, 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BX1500M Backup Battery, AVR, Dataline Protection and LCD Display, Back-UPS Pro Uninterruptible Power Supply

The one brand that gave me heartburn is Cyberpower...I know lots of folks on this forum like, use and recommend them, but I've had devices damaged that were on 2 different units on 2 different lightning events that were damaged; not so with APC or Tripp Lite. YMMV

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The Tripplite model you selected generally speaking is a good unit. You should be aware that the AVR feature does however operate in the danger zone.

Their literature indicates the upper range is 150 VAC RMS. If you read any electronic document a vast majority of properly cUL / UL devices indicate a maximum of 130 VAC RMS. Once you break 130 VAC RMS the magic smoke begins to be released in electronics especially sensitive ones!

This is why a concerted effort should be placed on selecting, buying, and deploying hardware that supports a wide multi voltage / frequency. A device that supports 90 ~ 250 VAC 50 / 60 Hz out of the hole will survive and operate fine when the line voltage swings either way.

Despite popular belief surge / spike events are not the only worry in a home / building. Two of the most dangerous electrical faults are a voltage sag (brown out) or slow voltage rise where the line voltage exceeds 130 VAC RMS.

More expensive UPS systems allow the end user to adjust and fine tune a voltage range where the AVR system kicks in to help compensate for constant unreliable dirty power vs false tripping into the AVR range.

Regardless of what brand or model of UPS it’s imperative to test and validate how the UPS will operate during various electrical faults / conditions. Obviously testing to see how much real world runtime based on the actual load would be first! Next is to validate how the system behaves when power is lost.

This is followed by letting the system drain to a critical level and validating the same will come back on while a low battery condition exists. Many cheaper UPS will not allow the unit to be turned back on or come back on line until the battery is at X level.

So don’t wait to see if that’s the case!

It goes without saying performing such a test must balance the cycle life of the battery cells. This also highlights the importance that many of the systems are guessing when it shows you a X value of runtime!

Thus, it’s imperative if the system has a load test to use and teach the system the actual runtime those cells at that moment in time can handle and provide. Normally this is based on a 30% load and the system will recalculate how much real runtime is now present vs a bull shit guess!

When you look at the voltage gauge compare it with a high quality Fluke RMS meter!

Lastly, batteries are consumables as such do not ignore the change out interval to save a few bucks! As you will quickly find out a battery fire, UPS failure, to loss of data because the unit doesn’t provide the expected runtime!

All UPS systems must be tested and validated on a monthly basis to insure its fully operational when needed.

Good luck

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I do is watch for used, on-line, dual-conversion UPS units listed on eBay that do not have batteries. No batteries can mean lower shipping costs.
Many of these units use the common HR1234W batteries that are $20 - $25 each shipped.
This way you can get a far better, always-on, rackmount UPS for hundreds less than they sell for new.
A few years ago I picked up a 2U 1KVA Tripp Lite UPS this way for $117 shipped. 2 new batteries were $23 each. This particular UPS normally sells for $500+ new.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
What I do is watch for used, on-line, dual-conversion UPS units listed on eBay that do not have batteries. No batteries can mean lower shipping costs.
Many of these units use the common HR1234W batteries that are $20 - $25 each shipped.
This way you can get a far better, always-on, rackmount UPS for hundreds less than they sell for new.
A few years ago I picked up a 2U 1KVA Tripp Lite UPS this way for $117 shipped. 2 new batteries were $23 each. This particular UPS normally sells for $500+ new.
Batteries are only half the story, how are the cans going to be in a used UPS? Thats something the seller most likely ain't gunna tell you. If the cans are crap then you ain't getting no protection from the system. You can new battery it all day and think you are good until your first strike or brown out. Where it was used and the age of it have some effect on it but its really a crap shoot. Just saying

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Batteries are only half the story, how are the cans going to be in a used UPS? Thats something the seller most likely ain't gunna tell you. If the cans are crap then you ain't getting no protection from the system. You can new battery it all day and think you are good until your first strike or brown out. Where it was used and the age of it have some effect on it but its really a crap shoot. Just saying
OK, then...anything can fail...YMMV...that's not been my experience and, in the meantime, I'm enjoying the $avings.

I'll assume you mean capacitors...
I can remember seeing one non-battery related UPS failure in 20+ years of battery swaps, and that was a consumer-grade cheapo.
I'm also familiar with an installation using industrial size 5KVA and 30KVA units that have been in place for 19 years and caps were proactively replaced once during a maintenance visit during that timespan.

Just checked, 2 of the 3 rackmounted ones I have in use 24/7 for almost 8 years except for battery replacement.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tripp Lite SU1000XLA 1000VA 800W UPS Smart Online Tower 100V - 120V USB DB9 SNMP RT, 6 Outlets

This UPS has is constantly on, It is NOT switching, so the power is provided always from the batteries.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider that the elitedesk has an active PFC power supply. While many use the stepped up sine wave its not ideal and may result in issues.
This is my go to UPS now:

Cyber Power CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS Series. I have a few of these so far, so good. I’ve been running them for a couple of years. I used to use APC all the time and Cyber Power seemed to be much more UPS for the money in comparison to APC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a relatively small UPS system that has been steadily growing as my network gets finalized. :rofl: The first picture was the first stage of deployment that incorporates six APC SMX Series UPS and their respective extended power packs.

The one below is the APC SRT and just two of 25 extended battery packs. Had to break out a few dollies to roll these heavy ass things around the basement floor! :facepalm: This is a much smaller system when compared to the 120 / 240 Symmetra's I was rocking in my basement years ago. Just couldn't make all of those refrigerator sized batteries and controllers fit into the security room and still have room for other work stations. :embarrassed:

Oh wells . . .

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is my go to UPS now:

Cyber Power CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS Series. I have a few of these so far, so good. I’ve been running them for a couple of years. I used to use APC all the time and Cyber Power seemed to be much more UPS for the money in comparison to APC.
Glad you're happy with that brand. Like I said earlier, YMMV.

Ironically, it was the smaller version of that I had, the CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, that powered our 2 year old Sony 65" 3D 4K UHD TV. A nearby lightning strike caused a surge on the power line, it went thru that UPS like a straight wire and blew up the Sony. That was the only connection to the Sony, I had unplugged the HDMI cable from the satellite receiver after a nearby strike the year before came in through the receiver and blew it up along with a Vizio in the master bedroom!

Good old protection plan with Geek Squad from Best Buy ..... After the 4th unsuccessful trip to the house in 11 weeks (they replaced every board BUT the display), they gave us a new TV, a new plan PLUS refunded us the difference in price between what we paid and how much the new replacement costs 2 years later!

It's been on a APC BR1000MS since then.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose the biggest power hog will be the Camera's on the switch. 14 cams x 802.3 af, and 1 is 802.3at PTZ.
The Switch has an 1100 watt PSU and a 715 Watt PSU ( redundant PSU's).
If nothing else I'd like to keep that thing Up for a power outage.
Is it ignorant to do it that way?
The DVR and the BI machine "auto start" after a Power fail,
But some of the Camera's dont like sudden loss of power. ( apparently).
I had to reboot the PTZ manually in the WEB UI to regain PTZ response.
Whomever's "xfinity wifi" I was linked to,,,,hasn't come back up yet, can't control that....

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two 16 ort switches supporting 16 cameras, an Asus RT86U, two IP phone modems, a MoCA adapter, and three 3 amp 12VDC power supplies on a UPS. Reported power consumption is ~175 watts at night, ~145 watts during the day. It's a 1000VA UPS and reports run times around 45 minutes.