What are the best cameras for a decent price?

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an installer, I mostly stick to the Lorex 8MP cameras, but the night vision just isn't very good. Dahua and Hikvision seem to have some decent options, but I've heard that the US might ban selling them in the near future. I know every situation requires a different camera, but are there any specific models that are just overall better than the rest? I want to look into some 4MP cameras because they should have better night vision. I heard that the Dahua 5442 series was really good, but the Dahua website shows that they are EOL. Have they come out with something else?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they ban Dahua, that includes your Lorex since it is rebranded Dahua, just on poor MP/Sensor ratios and cheaper components...

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Dahua has a newer 4K camera out on the 1/1.2" sensor but it is not available yet, so for now the 5442 series is the best Dahua on the market.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If they ban Dahua, that includes your Lorex since it is rebranded Dahua, just on poor MP/Sensor ratios and cheaper components...

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Dahua has a newer 4K camera out on the 1/1.2" sensor but it is not available yet, so for now the 5442 series is the best Dahua on the market.
Do you know if the new Dahua 4K will have a 4MP variation? From what I've read on these forums, it sounds like 4K/8MP needs to draw in a lot more light to look good in low light conditions compared to lower MP. I'll probably buy one of the 5442's and see how it does. Any other recommendations for me to look at?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 5442 is the go to camera on here, and is very good. I have several. But, my go to cheaper camera is the IPC-T2431T-AS. Yes, it requires more light than the 5442. No, it doesn't have the same IVS and smart motion detection, human/vehicle AI. But, it is about half the price, and the IR is pretty good. Especially if you are look for overview cameras and don't need great night vision, it is pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard that the Dahua 5442 series was really good, but the Dahua website shows that they are EOL. Have they come out with something else?
Yeah they’re probably moving ahead to new product number. I see Amcrest (rebranded Dahua) is showing out of stock on items that used to readily be available on Amazon 1.5 years ago. But the newer number scheme products are showing “ in stock”. Marketing always needs to keep things from getting stale. That and component availability may have forced their hand as well. Looks like Looney found some 5442’s in a search

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an installer, I mostly stick to the Lorex 8MP cameras, but the night vision just isn't very good. Dahua and Hikvision seem to have some decent options, but I've heard that the US might ban selling them in the near future. I know every situation requires a different camera, but are there any specific models that are just overall better than the rest? I want to look into some 4MP cameras because they should have better night vision. I heard that the Dahua 5442 series was really good, but the Dahua website shows that they are EOL. Have they come out with something else?
Study this:

Attachments

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. That helps a ton. On ADI, I can't find any 5442 cameras, but there are a lot of N45 cameras. N45 cams have very similar specs to the 5442. I was reading about how Dahua has a North America line and international line. It sounds like 5442 is the international line. Is the N45 just the north america equivalent to the 5442? The A42 series also had pretty comparable specs, but I couldn't find any reviews or many mentions of the A42 or N45 on these forums or anywhere else online.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here, are purchasing the International models from EmpireTech Andy | IP Cam Talk
A lot of the better performing international models never make it to the US market for whatever reason.
This is simply a guess, but you may be able to purchase direct from @EMPIRETECANDY for the around the same price as ADI, especially if you can purchase in bulk.
There are only a few North American models that have the same specs as the 5442 international.

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have any info on the new 4k 1-1/2" sensor models?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have any info on the new 4k 1-1/2" sensor models?
Here you go!