Warning - Avoid Cantonk.com and Alex from Cantonk

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a warning to all IPCT members to stay away from "Cantonk", a China-based company that sells garbage cameras. A representative named Alex has joined this forum and spammed many members both privately and on the open forum. When an administrator bans a user, we also submit them to the StopForumSpam database. Out of all of the many usernames that this "Alex" jerk made here, our StopForumSpam database results show that he sent over 400 PM's to different users. We have no idea who he sent messages to or what he said, but if you ever receive a spammy PM, please click the report icon. We do not tolerate spammers on this site and never will. If any member ever sees a post that they may think is spam, we encourage you to report it so an administrator or moderator can take proper action.

Again, stay away from Cantonk and Alex!

Thanks.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Mike, our understanding is that Cantonk and Longse are one and the same company and that's their entire strategy. They do the same, if not worse, via email. I actually meet their President at ISC West, surreal experience, they professed ignorance about this being against US law. They also say they have 100 sales people dedicated to this (and 33 just for America) so it is quite an operation. Our public post: Longse Spam Innovation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was just about to pull the trigger on a PT5AM22XH200 reviewed by @stoney7713. There's also been references on the site to others dealing with a young lady named "Seven" from Cantonk. Are you saying the company should be avoided all together? Or just Alex?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use a burner email because they will spam the shit out of you if you contact them.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not saying they don't use these tactics. Peronal experience, I have not received any email I did not request.

I have recieved some non requested Skype messages (my main way of communication with them) but they have all been friendly chatter.

This is just my personal experience, YMMV

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I concur they (Amanda) did spam my temp email for couple weeks with maybe 5 emails on sales promotions, that was months ago. I haven't received anything for a while though and I didn't ask them to stop either.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Mike, our understanding is that Cantonk and Longse are one and the same company and that's their entire strategy. They do the same, if not worse, via email. I actually meet their President at ISC West, surreal experience, they professed ignorance about this being against US law. They also say they have 100 sales people dedicated to this (and 33 just for America0 so it is quite an operation. Our public post: Longse Spam Innovation.
Funny, I guess you might not aware that all companies (including yours) send out emails (newsletters aka spam), sometimes you don't even notice that you signed up when you place an order. Longse/Cantonk is no different except it uses more personal approach where emails come from sales people or maybe they just don't have newsletter engine.

I should probably tell Frys, Newegg, Staples etc... that they are breaking US law

I remember Newegg required you to sign up for newsletter and then bombarded with emails if used some promo code.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I should probably tell Frys, Newegg, Staples etc... that they are breaking US law
US law requires marketers to get opt-in from customers (i.e., you can't just get emails off the Internet or get someone else's list and start emailing them). Longse admitted to us they do just that (getting emails 'from Google' as their Sales Director described it).

Secondly, US law requires marketers to include a clear and conspicuous unsubscribe option, which Longse and Cantonk frequently do not.

This is the difference.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
US law requires marketers to get opt-in from customers (i.e., you can't just get emails off the Internet or get someone else's list and start emailing them). Longse admitted to us they do just that (getting emails 'from Google' as their Sales Director described it).

Secondly, US law requires marketers to include a clear and conspicuous unsubscribe option, which Longse and Cantonk frequently do not.

This is the difference.
As I mentioned, some retailers use trickery to get you signed up for this newsletter spam, perhaps it's within the law but still annoying. As matter of fact even unsubscribe option does not always unsubscribe you which I ran into with Newegg on several occasions. If Canton/Longse wouldn't unsubscribe you on first request then it's an issue, otherwise I don't particularly think the company product should be dismissed because of their way of sending emails, especially when they make decent products.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a KIP-500DR20H from Alex the beginning of April and have not had a single email from him except replys to my email. No problem at all with the transaction or camera. I was wishing they had something like the Mini PTZ.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a KIP-500DR20H from Alex the beginning of April and have not had a single email from him except replys to my email. No problem at all with the transaction or camera. I was wishing they had something like the Mini PTZ.
Great feedback. I was going to avoid them because all looked a bit cheap and nasty. I guess I should get a Longse and Cantonk to compare. It's not like I won't be able to sell it on to someone here.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ordered the PT5AM22XH200 from Cantonk and worked via Skype with a lady named Seven. $105 camera, $50 Shipping, $6.20 PayPal.

Apparently it has to manufactured first, then 5-7 days shipping.

I'm told I'll have to pay a customs charge when it arrives. Can anyone advise about how much I should expect to pay and how that works?

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ordered the PT5AM22XH200 from Cantonk and worked via Skype with a lady named Seven. $105 camera, $50 Shipping, $6.20 PayPal.

Apparently it has to manufactured first, then 5-7 days shipping.

I'm told I'll have to pay a customs charge when it arrives. Can anyone advise about how much I should expect to pay and how that works?
Depends. What country do you live in?

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw in another thread that someone paid a few dollars more and requested DHL. Is that a shipping upgrade in should consider?

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got mine shipped Fed Ex. I've had things shipped DHL before also, but not from Cantonk. In my experience DHL was cheaper and slower and boxes are usually beaten up more in my experience. Things have always been packaged well enough that they did survive.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Latest message regarding the PT5AM22XH200 I ordered from Cantonk:

"Hi, our camera is on production line now. Later there are 48 hours aging test and then QC for 1 day and package for 1 day."

We are still on track from what she told me previously. I should have it 5-7 days after it ships.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update. My camera shipped yesterday. The DHL waybill says it will hit DFW airport tomorrow.

I've read forum posts where DHL expected fees on delivery...is anyone familiar with this practice?