Warm and fuzzy feeling

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some seem to like them. To me it's just another little unnecessary piece to keep track of and you have to look to see which way it's turned, feed things through the tiny holes in the insert, etc. By the time that I fiddle with and look at it that much I could be done with the others.

The key with all of them really is to get your wires laid out well. Straight, aligned, right length, with good clean square cuts. Once you do it enough you get the technique down and they'll slip right into whatever. If your cuts are kind of knuckled under and/or to the side and/or wires still kinked from the twist and/or laid over then much harder to get right going in,
Well said. Yeah after so many it becomes more of a feel then sight. I use to be able to do them in the dark :), what do I mean by this? Well crawl under 1000s of these cubical/modular workstations/desk to terminate and you will know what I mean, haha. Running cable through these can be a pain in the b.... too, keep in mind they are usually already crowded with Electrical wiring and most of those bottom panels are a pain to work with, that is get them back popped on right...Oh and add the service poles you have to run your cable down from a dropped ceiling to each group of cubicles, those were the fun days :)

1609817252273.png1609817480854.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever works for you. If that makes it easier, then go with it. Really meant more the cut at the end of each of the wires and getting that all the same and clean/square. A slight angle as you lay them out isn't critical. But if you don't have a good tool and it bends the end a little off and some will cut individual wires and they all then go in different directions... good luck. lol

Hard to describe how something feels, but to me when I'm on a roll and doing it right, other than ordering them, I'm not thinking much about individual wires at all. I'm doing it all more as a unit and the whole thing just slides in together.
Your only as good as your cuts, we loved our Klein snips. But they would wear out, you would know it by your cuts...I think I use to buy about a half a dozen new ones each year, also had to have spares for the green hands forgetting/losing theirs :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My big "trick" has always been to take off about two inches of jacket then slide the jacket back about a half inch. Then order the wires maintaining twist, trim with a flush cutter and insert into the connector. By sliding the jacket back like that it gives an extra half inch of exposed wire to hold and keep things aligned. After the wires are seated flush at the front of the connector, just slide the jacket back into the connector to get the crimp lug onto the jacket. Very few failures or problems doing it that way, for the last 30 or so years.
Nice...

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome news! The feeling of accomplishment is huge!!!

I never terminated an ethernet cable in my life until I installed my new IP camera system late 2020. With this site as a great resource I bought all the right tools and got educated on how to use them by reading and you tube.

I didn’t know some rj45’s passed through and some didn’t. I bought the Klein pass through style and had zero failures. I didn’t set any speed records terminating my cables but everything tested correctly and life is good.

One key “tool” I used in the install process was a headlamp. Crawling around an attic and being able to see everything was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome news! The feeling of accomplishment is huge!!!

I never terminated an ethernet cable in my life until I installed my new IP camera system late 2020. With this site as a great resource I bought all the right tools and got educated on how to use them by reading and you tube.

I didn’t know some rj45’s passed through and some didn’t. I bought the Klein pass through style and had zero failures. I didn’t set any speed records terminating my cables but everything tested correctly and life is good.

One key “tool” I used in the install process was a headlamp. Crawling around an attic and being able to see everything was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you mentioned headlamp, I never could get use to the LED lamps, I have an old incandescent headlamp I use. The problem, for me, I am supposedly color blind, my problem color is Blue, found this out getting my Pilot's license, I could not past the color test, you know the one's with the circles and letters/numbers in them, so they had me go to Hobby Airport in Houston and stand out by a taxiway to identify the color signals from the tower, which I was close to the end of a runway, that was pretty kewl. Anyway, the LED lighting messes with me on Blues, some cheaper cables don't have good coloring for the WHITE/BLUE, WHITE/BROWN, WHITE/GREEN. etc. In dark light they tend to look the same to me at times, plus add age, haha, wow thinking about it, an Old Color Blind Guy terminating cable, hahaha, somehow I made it though with almost no miss-terms...:)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Adding terminating cables with RJ45 (Actually 8P8C) to my most hated tasks

Anywhere I can, I just use a keystone jack and a patch cable

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been terminating cable since my Teens. I am an old Telephone/Cabling Guy... The Pass Through's came out due to CAT6 needs the twist all the way to the end of the connector. I have worked with CAT1 (yes almost zero twist), CAT3, CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, but not CAT7 or 8 yet. I am Semi-Retired :) But still terminate everyone's cable runs for them, family/friends. There were days I/we would terminate a 1000 cables (both ends patch panel to jack/block) in a day. Anyway, so for anyone reading this and running CAT6 cable, be sure to use these connectors and bring the twist all the way to the end:

View attachment 78831View attachment 78830

I am Old School, I personally don't like these connectors. Butting up the cable inside a connector with final crimp, in my opinion, is a better termination. Maybe I am wrong but cutting the cable after a crimp I just am not comfortable with, it may be fine as long as the crimp is tight. But I will use these for CAT6, there is no way I could bring the twist to the end without these connectors...

When buying your connectors be aware there are different types:

Stranded
Solid
Shielded
Un-Shielded

View attachment 78833
On this note, we have found using a Solid Connector when you have Stranded Cable will not crimp properly and visa versa. You usually can tell by looking into the connector and seeing square holes or round holes where the wires go. Plus some connectors, depending on the manufacture, will have a smoky tint to tell the difference...

Also when making up Patch Cables, these Boots are easy to add:

View attachment 78832

HTH
I prefer the little inserts then slide into clip and terminate

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer the little inserts then slide into clip and terminate
Guess if you are hourly that is find, as a Contractor paid per job that extra step would not work for us...I could see where it could help an End-user though...