Wanscam HW0046 IP Camera issue

harky

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a new Wanscam HW0046, personal i think this ip cam is not bad, everything look really fine and good
but there are some bug with the setup (wonder if i can hack it?).
I had voice out with the CSO but reply was so so... (they ask me to do factory reset) i will try that later.

My issue was the video recording setup.

It happen only with Second Stream setting which is for 640 X 480,
after I change to my own setting. after a while recording the video setting jump back to default setting (which caused the video and audio is not match) My setting was as show below, i find this is the best as the video and audio play smoothly
Bit Rate: 3000
Maximum frame rate: 25 fps
Key frame interval: 25 fps

Default setting (This setting will cause video and audio not match, audio faster than video while doing normal play.)
Bit Rate: 1024
Maximum frame rate: 20 fps
Key frame interval: 40 fps

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is really bad, the quality is shocking. You don't think it's bad because you have nothing to compare it with, 640 x 480 is 0.3MP!!!!

3000kbps is way too high a bit-rate for this, it's probably crashing and therefore resetting. Try something sensible like 1024kbps, 20fps and 20fps keyframe.

Personally I'd just return it and get a refund because even $50 is too much for this.

Lestlie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I know this model, maybe you need do some settings of recording, usually, the default recording video is second stream, you can change it to first stream, so the recording video will become 960P. Also you can send email to them support@wanscam.com

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Del Boy is right imo...although his excessive punction does not help him buttress his point. :)

Dump the wanscam and spend $70.00 on a basic Aliexpress 3mp Chinese Region Hikvision WIRED POE camera and you will never go back to WanSCAMeras.

Xinray is a good Aliexpress vendor imo.

harky

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this this cam, personal I feel the quality isn't that bad. Just that the software still need more improvement.
This kind of camera could sell more than $100 in my country.

Let me try your setting before I change
back to 960p recording haha..

It is really bad, the quality is shocking. You don't think it's bad because you have nothing to compare it with, 640 x 480 is 0.3MP!!!!

3000kbps is way too high a bit-rate for this, it's probably crashing and therefore resetting. Try something sensible like 1024kbps, 20fps and 20fps keyframe.

Personally I'd just return it and get a refund because even $50 is too much for this.
Thanks but I need a IP camera.. Not WIRED POE.

Del Boy is right imo...although his excessive punction does not help him buttress his point. :)

Dump the wanscam and spend $70.00 on a basic Aliexpress 3mp Chinese Region Hikvision WIRED POE camera and you will never go back to WanSCAMeras.

Xinray is a good Aliexpress vendor imo.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yours is not a proper IP camera, it's a P2P camera. It's not ONVIF and has far less functionality.

It might be that you need a wired ip camera with either 12v or PoE for your requirements.

harky

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol sorry what is p2p?

I need a wireless IP camera.
It say to have ONVIF but I have not try it if it able to connect to my nas.

So far I tested ftp, email, ddns function.
Camera graphic quality quite good too..

Yours is not a proper IP camera, it's a P2P camera. It's not ONVIF and has far less functionality.

It might be that you need a wired ip camera with either 12v or PoE for your requirements.

harky

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol... The reason of putting it on second stream to record 640*480 because I want to save some storage..

It quite annoying where the function is there but not able to set it. And they had 3 option, it should allow me to pre-set it so it easy for me to choose which to record.

I did email to them but they told me to do factory reset. Other than that they ask me to set 25 and 50 (but I think the standard way is to put both same)

After that no reply, guess they not willing to fix it.

Hello, I know this model, maybe you need do some settings of recording, usually, the default recording video is second stream, you can change it to first stream, so the recording video will become 960P. Also you can send email to them support@wanscam.com

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Camera graphic quality quite good too..
Compared to what? A kid's drawing? That's the problem is that newbies come on here and start saying their cameras are amazing quality when they're not. Yes, maybe this is suitable for you, great if so.

You can google "P2P camera" to find out about what you have bought. You can also buy proper wireless IP cameras but like I say, this is probably good enough for what you want.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lol.

How do you about this? Is it decent?
Why lol? You're posting proof it's not decent. That is good enough as a dog cam. Not suitable for evidence purposes.

This below is good quality (click on it or save as to view in full 3MP glory). Hopefully this will show people the difference between an $80 piece of crap and $80 decent camera.

So I went ahead and ordered a 4mm Hikvision ds-2cd2432f-iw some weeks ago since I couldn't get a 6mm. I guess I just never tried the right vendor.

It arrived at the post office on Saturday and I only just discovered this and picked it up. I got the WiFi version since my access point is perhaps 20 feet away, and I though it would be fine. Of course it isn't fine. It is terrible. Only the sub stream works with any reliability probably because the cam is mounted above the oven and is therefore next to a metal vent. So I have some powerline network adapters on the way to hopefully solve this problem. I know they can be problematic too, but since I really only need this camera to work while nobody is home, I'm not concerned about unexpected noise sources appearing and kicking it off the network.

Sceenie for the curious:

harky

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry repost as the mobile view del my post when i click edit!

Lol.

How do you about this? Is it decent?

TUEDfAW.jpg

Compared to what? A kid's drawing? That's the problem is that newbies come on here and start saying their cameras are amazing quality when they're not. Yes, maybe this is suitable for you, great if so.

You can google "P2P camera" to find out about what you have bought. You can also buy proper wireless IP cameras but like I say, this is probably good enough for what you want.

harky

n3wb
Reaction score
that camera is Full HD 1080p
not possible to compare with a 960p (cost @ US$50?)
but tht camera dont allow to rotate which i need it

but thanks.. will take a look at their product

Why lol? You're posting proof it's not decent. That is good enough as a dog cam. Not suitable for evidence purposes.

This below is good quality (click on it or save as to view in full 3MP glory). Hopefully this will show people the difference between an $80 piece of crap and $80 decent camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Send it back if it doesn't work. You're wasting too much of your time trying to fix it when you could get a decent camera for a few $ more.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like green eggs and SPAM.

Why would anyone buy a wanscam with the horrible quality of a webcam from the mid to late 90's?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And it's almost 1080p... 960p is almost 1080p right? I mean it's only about 100 ~ 10% out so must be almost as good.