Wall of shame

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I first interested in security cameras few years ago and searched on youtube to see how other people set up their cameras, LifeHackster was the go-to channel I like to watch the most. It's helpful channel if you are interested in only simple Wifi cameras like I was in the beginning.

His video reviews of many different cameras is actually nice to watch without buying one to test yourself. Obviously after a while Wifi cameras no longer good enough and I move on to POE cameras and wanted to learn more about it, and that's how I ended up finding ipcamtalk. I'm not using any of the cameras LifeHackster reviewed on his channel, but I still watch his videos from time to time when I'm curious what other new cameras or doorbell is reviewed on his channel. :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine was RG-59 and they used Ma Bell Telephone cabling Pairs to Power the 12VDC from a 16 port Distribution box alongside the Coax. Musta been before they invented Siamese coax? :) It was plugged into a PC with a howling case fan locked inside a cabinet with no vents, in a room that is 80F in January. A 500GB WD green. 2Gb ram, a PCI slot with 16 analog BNC dongles and a fabulous copy of EyeMax PC surveilance software, with 480P black and white cams and some color 720P's. Mainly watching doors from inside the building. Almost all the action is out in the back Lot at night.
Not so much anymore with lighting solutions, and 3 camera's ( 2 with audio). We have a McDonalds, Subway, Arby's up the street, and I think sometimes people stop in to eat their Sammiches and light up the Bob Marleys. ( not necessarily in that order.)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our church paid $7K this past summer for a whole new digital sound system, remote mixer control via iPad app, new mikes, a cam to stream services live to FB, YT, etc. I was not involved in the process.

Last week the system lost Internet access, couldn't stream services live and the pastor asked me to take a look. The CAT-5e cable they strung in the attic that ran from the system PC to the church's office router to get Internet was the issue. Specifically, the idiots didn't know how to properly terminate the cable with the crimp-on RJ-45 connectors. They used shielded CAT-5e but regular connectors and looks like they did it with their teeth. No matter about the STP, UTP would have been OK but that wasn't the problem. The problem was they couldn't get the 4 pairs in far enough and properly so the copper teeth could pierce the insulation when crimped so they stripped 1/4" or more of each conductor in order to slide it in! One pair was shorted on each end (tester video below). Also, they didn't get the cable's outer jacket under the connector's jacket crimp so that the jacket would bear the mechanical strain instead of the 4 pair. I cut the RJ-45's off and re-did both and it tested fine, plugged in, Internet access to the streaming system OK now. RJ-45 connector "before" and "after" images below.

Fixing this allowed me to see what the idiots had done elsewhere: note the gooey electrical red tape they used to secure the cables they pulled in from the camera in the sanctuary and the cable that runs from the PC to the church office router. Sure there was already a few not-so-neat cables prior to that but they could have done MUCH better with their 4 added cables with little effort.

These guys should be ashamed of themselves, charging ANY amount of money for that level of workmanship. I wouldn't even do that poorly for FREE.
View attachment bad-crimp_0.MOV
bad-crimp_2.jpg bad-crimp_1.jpg bad-crimp_3.jpg
red-tape.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our church paid $7K this past summer for a whole new digital sound system, remote mixer control via iPad app, new mikes, a cam to stream services live to FB, YT, etc. I was not involved in the process.

Last week the system lost Internet access, couldn't stream services live and the pastor asked me to take a look. The CAT-5e cable they strung in the attic that ran from the system PC to the church's office router to get Internet was the issue. Specifically, the idiots didn't know how to properly terminate the cable with the crimp-on RJ-45 connectors. They used shielded CAT-5e but regular connectors and looks like they did it with their teeth. No matter about the STP, UTP would have been OK but that wasn't the problem. The problem was they couldn't get the 4 pairs in far enough and properly so the copper teeth could pierce the insulation when crimped so they stripped 1/4" or more of each conductor in order to slide it in! One pair was shorted on each end (tester video below). Also, they didn't get the cable's outer jacket under the connector's jacket crimp so that the jacket would bear the mechanical strain instead of the 4 pair. I cut the RJ-45's off and re-did both and it tested fine, plugged in, Internet access to the streaming system OK now. RJ-45 connector "before" and "after" images below.

Fixing this allowed me to see what the idiots had done elsewhere: note the gooey electrical red tape they used to secure the cables they pulled in from the camera in the sanctuary and the cable that runs from the PC to the church office router. Sure there was already a few not-so-neat cables prior to that but they could have done MUCH better with their 4 added cables with little effort.

These guys should be ashamed of themselves, charging ANY amount of money for that level of workmanship. I wouldn't even do that poorly for FREE.
View attachment 117812
View attachment 117813 View attachment 117814 View attachment 117815
View attachment 117816
They apparently also didn't know how to use google or Youtube. Idiots indeed.