Wall of shame

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It DOES look like that guy grip is on an insulated conductor... I sure hope it's just an illusion and the grip is actually on a bare stranded carrierI

A guy grip and insulation is a bad mix.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It DOES look like that guy grip is on an insulated conductor... I sure hope it's just an illusion and the grip is actually on a bare stranded carrierI

A guy grip and insulation is a bad mix.
Yes, the abrasive on those preformed grips is like galvanized metallic chips permanently plated on so it can dig into the 1/4" or 3/8" galvanized messenger cable really well...I was always sure to wear good gloves when handling, and especially when installing; you could easily get your skin pinched when wrapping then on.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the abrasive on those preformed grips is like galvanized metallic chips permanently plated on so it can dig into the 1/4" or 3/8" galvanized messenger cable really well...I was always sure to wear good gloves when handling, and especially when installing; you could easily get your skin pinched when wrapping then on.
For tower work preforms work great,,,,, until ice starts sliding down the guy wires.
I have examined 3 towers that fell from ice sliding down the guy wires, hitting the top of the preform causing
them to fray out and eventually loosing their grip. And the result is a tower on the ground.

One way to help the situation is to place several saddle clamps at 10, 20, 30' above the preform to breakup the ice
before it hits bottom. It will slowly move those clamps down the guy wire.

Your trivial drop of knowledge for the day. :)