Very Disappointed - Lack Of Support

Reaction score
I was "referred" here by the Facebook page.

1. NONE of the Blue Iris website will load on any browser (I've tried IE, Chrome, and Firefox)
  2. Emails to "support" are not answered
  3. There is a distinct lack of support methods for contacting Blue Iris
  4. The entire issue started when I re-loaded the software on a new PC, the Blue Iris software CONSTANTLY messaged and bugged me to download and "update". and after moving from V3 to V4 it wants me to purchase another $60 license. What type of scam?
  5. It has now been a full week. If I do not get a suitable reply and method of support within next 48 hours, the following will be the minimum I contact to report my complants
    1. Better Business Bureau - BBB (Local, State, Federal)
    2. Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
    3. Indiana Attorney General
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECOND REQUEST

There has been no reply to my first request, therefore, I am once again submitting for assistance and resolution. The next email will be submitted to your CEO Adam Ravat as well as any Board of Directors or other officers of the company that I have in my email system, and this will be accompanied by a strong complaint to the Better Business Bureau. While I understand that the work required to fully repair the issues involved might take time, it is unacceptable that your firm has not had the corporate decency to even respond to our request. As stated, if your firm does not want to be a corporate partner with us as we proceed, than you are doing an excellent job of assuring that your firm will forever be removed from our vendor list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2015 4:40 PM
To: 'blueirissoftware@gmail.com'
Subject: Update Issues - Foscam Blue Iris from V3 to V3 - Very Unhappy Experience

We purchased and have been using the Foscam Blue Iris software for a little more than a full year, and I suddenly started getting a message to download and “update” from Version 3 to Version 4 when I had to repair and change my computer. We purchased the Foscam Blue Iris Professional, and the license is ********. Per the information on our Amazon order we purchased the “Foscam Blue Iris Professional Version 4”, so I am not sure why the message. The only difference is that I updated my computer and used the install DVD to re-install, but since our invoice shows on Amazon that we purchased Version 4, I am perplexed why the re-install is now wanting another $60 from us.

I downloaded and installed the “update”, but when I try and register it will not proceed. It is apparently wanting us to pay ANOTHER $60 for the Version 4 software. I would have remained with Version 3 if I was warned about this properly, so now I want to know what is happening!

We are in the process of installing a complete network of IP cameras in our building. I have 14 cameras I am in the process of implementing on our office network. However, if this methodology is what we can expect, where I feel “hoodwinked” into downloading and installing the SUGGESTED Version 4 update only to find that Foscam wants another $60, then I will have no choice but to remove the Version 4 update, attempt to re-install Version 3, and I will look elsewhere for the multi-camera software solutions I will need to install. I’ve already started the search process and found a number of software solutions that will easily assist with our network camera plans.

We will be installing at least four monitoring stations for the 14 cameras, and right now we have a slight “bad taste” experience with the Foscam solution that had previously been a good partner for our office.

We have been pleased with our Foscam experience thus far, but this downloaded update that is wanting a further “purchase” without a warning is leaving myself and the management team less than happy. Dpending on your answer and solution I will proceed this week with our final choice in choosing an IP camera software solution partner.

Your assistance in this is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to speaking with you soon. If you have any questions or concerns or need to speak with me further, you can email me or use my contact information below. I am in the office Monday thru Friday between 8 AM – 5 PM CST, and after hours you are welcome to use my cell phone to reach me.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, welcome to the forums. There shouldn't be any need to take such drastic steps as to contact the BBB, FTC or your local AG office. Blue Iris is developed by a single individual, Ken. He has likely been swamped with updates and patches over the last couple weeks. Also, I think it is more than fair to have to pay for major software updates like going from version 3 to version 4. And $60 dollars is a hell of a deal for software like Blue Iris. I am sure someone else here can chime in, but I thought there was a reduce cost for those who have a valid version 3 license going to version 4.

In the end, if you paid for version 3 and were happy with it, go back to it. If you want to use version 4, and need to the new features, pay the couple dollars for it.

And yes, the main BI website is having some problems currently.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Michael. Firstly I want you to know that I removed your license key from your post, that should not be posted on the public forum. I also moved this thread into the Blue Iris section of the forum.

As far as your issues, you are free to use BI3 for as long as you wish, it's not mandatory or necessary to download and purchase BI4 if you don't want to. You can download BI3 and use your BI3 license code if you wish. I agree with @ruppmeister, Ken is a stand up guy and is most likely swamped. He is looking to hire a help staff full time at some point. Regardless, your e-mail does not provide us with much information as far as helping you with your issue, why don't you tell us what your issue is and we will help you fix it. 99% of the time it's user error and throw Foscam into the equation and there's user and technology errors.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Michael A Lockard Wow, relax. Ok, you paid 60 dollars for the software, please dont expect a dedicated computer technician for that price. Dont posts threats about reporting anyone. The Attorney General's office and the FTC office could care less. RELAX.
Lets start with removing your license key from a public forum, unless you want someone to use your key thereby deactivating the registration on your own system.
The update for V4 popup could have been disabled by the click of a mouse, if you simply unchecked the box "prompt at startup"..the update box was very clear that there is an upgrade fee and a thirty dollar discount is available for V3 users...if you cannot pay $30 dollars for an upgrade maybe you should go back to using V3...even at 60 dollars its a bargain....

There is simply no reason to throw a hissy fit. If you want telephone support may I suggest http://www.milestonesys.com/ its 50-150 PER camera, they will provide all the support you need.
Otherwise, instead of posting worthless threats on a USER forum not run by Blue Iris, why dont you ask for help in a dignified fashion.. Go back and install v3 if the 30 dollars is going to break your bank....it will work as expected.

Kevern

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Michael.

I agree with ruppmeister, Mike and fenderman, I have been working with Ken for a few months now and I can tell you he is really a stand up guy, he is definitely swamped with work as all the code changes have been phenomenal over a short space of time.

I am not familiar with USA law but your post does seem over the top for like $30 upgrade, and for something like a update selection that could have been turned off to begin with.

I do understand your frustration though, perhaps a more expensive product that has the support response tiering aligned to your expectations might be better suited in your case.

For $30 upgrade BI remains a real "bang for your buck" and a veritable bargain, maybe reload / restore BI3 in the interim.... If someone did pickup your key though your license will be locked every 10 changes and needing reset, so it might be an idea to chat to Ken and ask him nicely for a different BI3 key lest you find your reload / restore permanently locked through you posting your key and it possibly being used by other users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Oops! Thanks for taking care of license key. Man, I zoned on that one. I apologize, I would never normally make such a newbie mistake. Very happy and appreciative for the catch

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
rudeness will get you no where man... Ken does an awesome job on this software, and if you aren't happy, then by all means, go buy something else... a ton more expensive, and then complain somewhere else about it, cuz Ken does an awesome job and we fully support him!

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The other's have covered your initial message :)
2 things:

1) perhaps if you emailed the support email address you may have received a faster reply support@blueirissoftware.com maybe not, but he may check that email more regularly.

2) If you'd like to start a thread about the problems you're having, with some details, I'd bet you'll get some good help from the forum members here.

edit: I just re-read your initial post after further caffeination, and I guess you don't have a technical issue for use to help with, but if you do, 2 still applies.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't help and I do wish you the best of luck, but I don't think the state attorney general needs to hear about this.