Version 4.2.0

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Folks dont get banded from this forum simply because I dont like their posts. You must have this forum confused with the others out there.
The things you point out are not constructive as you dont inform the developer. I will tell you that I have over 20 machines running blue iris since the early versions of 3. I have NEVER had any major issues because I do the prudent thing, install in clean machines, have adequate power, and dont update immediately after a new release. Its really that simple.
I have two systems only major problem was the Camera user with no password, that's past. I won't up date and advice everyone not to update until the hardware acceleration is stable.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hold on a second. I need more popcorn. brb

dotnetrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Did the 4.2 update get pulled? I am running 4.1.9.2, and it says there are no updates.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect Ken simply forgot to add the update notification. Or perhaps he thought this update was not worth bothering people for?

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate the approach of not updating quickly to avoid any issues which may come with new versions, it's good advice, especially for “mission-critical” installs.

Personally, I look forward to the updates, and possible improvements and new features (some of which I have suggested to Ken and he has added to the list of future items), so I choose to take the (small) risk of encountering issues. As a web developer I'm well aware of the risks associated with pushing out new code, even after extensive testing and debugging, etc, (I know from my own work, and having been a beta tester for many different types of apps over the years, that there's no form of testing that is nearly as comprehensive as live/real world usage!) so I accept the consequences of updating immediately a new release comes out.

My comments such as these in this thread, are by no means meant as criticism. I'm just sharing what I find with others who may be interested, and it may even help some to decide whether or not to update now.

Out of interest: I just replaced the camera that stopped working properly with this version (an old Compro IP70) with something newer that I had laying around, and the CPU usage has returned to only a few percent higher now than it was prior to this version.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been running BI for a long time, and if I get anything out of this thread its that it would make sense for Ken to make the stable, proven major releases available for auto-update, and all the others not. That way the army of beta testers and those in need of specific new features can have at all the minor and unproven releases, and then hopefully feedback will feel more like help than criticism.

I never use the auto-update feature; it doesn't make sense for most of us to use it. I wait until a release has been out and stable and then I adopt it. I am a bit of a techie, so while I do get urges to make updates, I don't, unless there is some feature that is compelling.

I'm running 4.1.8.3 x64 on Windows 10 with seven cameras (mostly HD, 4 are wifi) and this platform is perfectly stable. Once upon a time (pretty much for the entire life of the 3.x BI) I experienced No Signal issues with wifi cameras, but increasing the video record buffer to 20 has made that go away. All hail Ken!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I've been running BI for a long time, and if I get anything out of this thread its that it would make sense for Ken to make the stable, proven major releases available for auto-update, and all the others not. That way the army of beta testers and those in need of specific new features can have at all the minor and unproven releases, and then hopefully feedback will feel more like help than criticism.

I never use the auto-update feature; it doesn't make sense for most of us to use it. I wait until a release has been out and stable and then I adopt it. I am a bit of a techie, so while I do get urges to make updates, I don't, unless there is some feature that is compelling.

I'm running 4.1.8.3 x64 on Windows 10 with seven cameras (mostly HD, 4 are wifi) and this platform is perfectly stable. Once upon a time (pretty much for the entire life of the 3.x BI) I experienced No Signal issues with wifi cameras, but increasing the video record buffer to 20 has made that go away. All hail Ken!
I feel the same way as you about everything you said, I'm running 4.1.8.2 x64 win8.1 pro. I am grateful to the power users who beta test the latest and actually I usually update but became reluctant when hardware acceleration was mentioned. I guess I'm a puss because I also want that feature but don't want to try out of the box. Yes all hail Ken.