Version 4.2.0

Reaction score
In addition to video decoding updates, this version contains important security updates for H.264 RTSP parsing.
The post Version 4.2.0 appeared first on Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Video decompression and scaling components updated
  • H.264 parsing code has been revised to better handle streams with packet loss, which is often seen as "smearing" or other artifacts on the video. Also by not sending damaged frames to the decoder, stability should also benefit.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With this update CPU usage has increased for me by about 14%, and one of my older cams is no longer working (half of the image is corrupted all of the time).

Edit: GPU load hasn't changed on my NVIDIA card, so the hardware acceleration doesn't appear to be included.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
With this update CPU usage has increased for me by about 14%, and one of my older cams is no longer working (half of the image is corrupted all of the time).

Edit: GPU load hasn't changed on my NVIDIA card, so the hardware acceleration doesn't appear to be included.
Keep us posted on how thing progress, apparrenly some of the improvemets are based on NVIDIA code which is supposed to work transparenly across all cameras, PCs and Graphic adapters. Amazing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on how thing progress, apparrenly some of the improvemets are based on NVIDIA code which is supposed to work transparenly across all cameras, PCs and Graphic adapters. Amazing.
This update did not include the new hardware acceleration. I updated two pc's to test and have no issues, same cpu usage.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, that doesnt mean it wont work with other cards.
So Atom ain't smashing happy if his camera is having problems with this code, and someone else had camera problems with 4.1.9.x which could be NVIDIA code issue. But the end result is what's important, as we are Ken's testers and debuggers.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This update did not include the new hardware acceleration. I updated two pc's to test and have no issues, same cpu usage.
Same on my BI box. Same CPU usage, no issues noticed. i7-3770k with no dedicated GPU installed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So Atom ain't smashing happy if his camera is having problems with this code, and someone else had camera problems with 4.1.9.x which could be NVIDIA code issue. But the end result is what's important, as we are Ken's testers and debuggers.
No you are not. Simply dont upgrade the day an update is released. I have told you this 1000 times. If you keep updating on the day an update is released its your fault. You can also easily revert to an older version by installing an older update. I have systems up for 3-4months before I update them ZERO issues. This is the same problem folks have with cameras, everyone rushing to update. Relax.
It seems from all your posts that you are not happy with blue iris or Ken. Well may I direct you to ispy, exacq, milestone and Avigilon. Yeah, I thought so.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have opinions, glad I don't live in mainland China.
You can have opinions, however your opinions are not based on fact, they are misleading. The fact is that updates are completely voluntary -this is not windows 10. If its so bad, why dont you switch? The reason is that blue iris is the best value out there. Most users would prefer the OPTION to install updates vs having to wait for six months to one year like all the other companies. NO ONE else out there adds features and options on a regular basis, like Ken does. All you do is bitch and moan about it as if you could do a better job. Go ahead.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
@MartyO Let me help you out. Do you accept PayPal? Send me a PM with your BI license code.
Sorry dj, I'm not a yes man. Nothing I said would be considered unproductive in a development lab. Just deal with it, amazing how quick folks kiss up. My generation not so gullible.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
You can have opinions, however your opinions are not based on fact, they are misleading. The fact is that updates are completely voluntary -this is not windows 10. If its so bad, why dont you switch? The reason is that blue iris is the best value out there. Most users would prefer the OPTION to install updates vs having to wait for six months to one year like all the other companies. NO ONE else out there adds features and options on a regular basis, like Ken does. All you do is bitch and moan about it as if you could do a better job. Go ahead.
So defensive, my points are contructive and not misleading. I question using NVidia code across multivendor platform, this is very normal questioning, nothing misleading. what are you afraid of, if it all works smoothly then great, if not then that's ok too, just try a different path.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry dj, I'm not a yes man. Nothing I said would be considered unproductive in a development lab. Just deal with it, amazing how quick folks kiss up. My generation not so gullible.
This is not a development lab. No one is kissing up. Ken doesnt read this forum. Everything you say is unproductive as you never indicate that you email Ken with your concerns. You paid 60 or less for this incredible software, yet you keep ragging on it like its terrible. One person has a problem and now everyone is a beta tester. Come on. A release note mentions nvidia and you offer other options as if you have a clue. Please. Have you ever gone to the forums related to other VMS packages? Do you think there are no issues there?
You dont even have a proper grasp on this software yet, so spend some more time with it and learn or move on to something you feel is better. The constant ragging on BI is getting old.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
This is not a development lab. No one is kissing up. Ken doesnt read this forum. Everything you say is unproductive as you never indicate that you email Ken with your concerns. You paid 60 or less for this incredible software, yet you keep ragging on it like its terrible. One person has a problem and now everyone is a beta tester. Come on. A release note mentions nvidia and you offer other options as if you have a clue. Please. Have you ever gone to the forums related to other VMS packages? Do you think there are no issues there?
You dont even have a proper grasp on this software yet, so spend some more time with it and learn or move on to something you feel is better. The constant ragging on BI is getting old.
1) The changes seem much riskier (more people will have problems with their systems) than other updates, this is what I am pointing out. Your badgering makes me think there is a concern.
2) My posts on this fforum are not all negative as you say, not even close, why are you misleading about this.

My only other big complaint was when it was found out an update created a user named "camera" who didn't require a password. I remember you not being happy about those posts either, Whats your problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) The changes seem much riskier (more people will have problems with their systems) than other updates, this is what I am pointing out. Your badgering makes me think there is a concern.
2) My posts on this are not all negative as you say, not even close, why are you misleading about this.

My only other big complaint was when it was found out an update created a user named "camera" who didn't require a password. I remember you not being happy about those posts either, Whats your problem.
1) how will the be riskier? By that logic there should never be any updates. Stick with 3.66
2)Not sure why my "badgering" has anything to do with your concern. I was merely pointing out that you indicate that we are all beta testers when a) updates are optional b) you have no idea whether or not Ken has folks beta testing the updates.

As far as your other posts you were blowing risks out of proportion, just like you did in a recent post when you simply did not understand what the blue iris messages mean. Many of your posts are negative towards BI and Ken. Yet you never seem to address your "issues" with the developer. Again, if you dont like BI, there are other options out there for you. The rest of us a grateful that this program is available at low cost and that features are added on a regular basis.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Fenderman If you don't like my post, ban me from the forum.

When I first got BI I emailed Ken several times, when I found out he does everything I stopped. I thought this was best for progress of dealing with newbies, updates and debugging and everything. Grateful can be constructively pointing out things, I use the forum to do this, important things will filter back to him.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman If you don't like my post, ban me from the forum.

When I first got BI I emailed Ken several times, when I found out he does everything I stopped. I thought this was best for progress of dealing with newbies, updates and debugging and everything. Grateful can be constructively pointing out things, I use the forum to do this, important things will filter back to him.
Folks dont get banded from this forum simply because I dont like their posts. You must have this forum confused with the others out there.
The things you point out are not constructive as you dont inform the developer. I will tell you that I have over 20 machines running blue iris since the early versions of 3. I have NEVER had any major issues because I do the prudent thing, install in clean machines, have adequate power, and dont update immediately after a new release. Its really that simple.