Version 4.0.9!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been in your shoes, BP... have you tried removing some of your memory to find a bad stick? All my memory tests passed using the conventional memtest programs, but ultimately, I found one of my four 8GB sticks was the culprit. I didn't notice it when running the 32-bit version, but the 64-bit seemed to tax more of the memory, exposing the issue. Once I pulled that stick, my BSODS and crashes all stopped. knock on wood...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just hope the crashing stops. I've been getting perhaps a dozen crashes a day since 4.0.8.0. I actually downgraded to 4.0.7.0 for a while today just so it would not crash while I was recording construction work in my back yard! 4.0.7 uses a lot less RAM too. 2.5 GB on my system whereas 4.0.9 uses 3.7 GB!
That is strange..I have not seen crashing..though I only have two systems that are above 4.0.7..one is running 26mp and is only using 1.83gb of memory according to the mobile app...its on 4.0.9.4...I know you have lots of cams though...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been in your shoes, BP... have you tried removing some of your memory to find a bad stick? All my memory tests passed using the conventional memtest programs, but ultimately, I found one of my four 8GB sticks was the culprit. I didn't notice it when running the 32-bit version, but the 64-bit seemed to tax more of the memory, exposing the issue. Once I pulled that stick, my BSODS and crashes all stopped. knock on wood...
Good point. It would be painful to try one stick at a time in this machine though, since it only has two 4GB sticks. Between Windows and BI, 4GB isn't enough. Anyway I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back for a month so I am going to let memtest86+ run two passes today.

Lets hope if my RAM has an error, this will find it!

That is strange..I have not seen crashing..though I only have two systems that are above 4.0.7..one is running 26mp and is only using 1.83gb of memory according to the mobile app...its on 4.0.9.4...I know you have lots of cams though...
The crashes can be hard to detect particularly if you run BI in service mode. It gets restarted immediately and you might not even notice if you don't look in the log file or event viewer.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like whatever problem I'm having is either unrelated to the update, or the latest one doesn't resolve the bug that started with 4.0.9.1

The circled cameras are frozen as of 5:58 AM today - well after I updated to 4.0.9.2. What's frustrating is that the frozen image remains up as though it's still a live camera - thus BI doesn't detect loss of signal and restart the feed. Frustrating. I think the next step is another email to Ken.
Impressive collection of cameras! How do you have one looking at your house/truck from the front???

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BP - Just keep in mind that my memtest never revealed an errors. Ultimately it was through the (painful) process of running it on single and pairs of sticks to eliminate the one causing the crashes.

I also run exclusively in service mode (having the console up clobbers my CPU for some reason - even w/live preview frames at 3fps). When the service crashes, there are several tell-tales signs.

1) Combined clip lengths are shorter than specified. I have my clips combined into 24-hour segments. Anything shorter than that - especially when ALL cameras clips start at exactly the same time - lets me know something happened globally.

2) The app on the phone will show red log icon - with the first couple of entries indicating "restarting after abnormal shutdown".

3) The "uptime" on the app's info page will indicate days/hours since restart. When I was having crashes, this was thing I referenced most often.

4) If you leave a browser open on the web server page, all the cameras will go blue with "connecting...." if the server resets.

5) The event viewer and/or the BI log will also indicate the crash - though unless you create shortcuts to them, they're not that easy to check

You know how it is - you get pretty good at checking them quickly. Good luck!

@OldStyle - Our neighborhood has mailboxes at the street. They're mounted on 6" x 6" posts. I hollowed out the horizontal post, and embedded/flush-mounted one of the Hikvision cameras in it, facing back towards the house. It was a tedious process, but since I did it after taking an Ambien late one night, I really don't remember it ;) I probably wouldn't have done it in a sober condition. Though, it's definitely worth it.

The IR in the Hikvision really lights up the front of the house from a separate angle that makes the other cameras see that much better at night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a tedious process, but since I did it after taking an Ambien late one night, I really don't remember it ;) I probably wouldn't have done it in a sober condition.
Quote of the Month!

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So have all the bugs been quashed out of 4.09 so its safe to upgrade now, or should I stick with 408?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So have all the bugs been quashed out of 4.09 so its safe to upgrade now, or should I stick with 408?
Probably, but if you dont have any issues with your version, leave it be...the only changes were to rtsp timing...always keep your current version unless you are having issues or there is a new function or feature that you need. This will keep your BI machine running smooth and without issues.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. It would be painful to try one stick at a time in this machine though, since it only has two 4GB sticks. Between Windows and BI, 4GB isn't enough. Anyway I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back for a month so I am going to let memtest86+ run two passes today.

Lets hope if my RAM has an error, this will find it!

This didn't find anything. I tried 4.0.8 again (which also crashes for me) and it doesn't have elevated memory usage. The elevated memory usage came only with 4.0.9.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BP - Just keep in mind that my memtest never revealed an errors. Ultimately it was through the (painful) process of running it on single and pairs of sticks to eliminate the one causing the crashes.

I also run exclusively in service mode (having the console up clobbers my CPU for some reason - even w/live preview frames at 3fps). When the service crashes, there are several tell-tales signs.

1) Combined clip lengths are shorter than specified. I have my clips combined into 24-hour segments. Anything shorter than that - especially when ALL cameras clips start at exactly the same time - lets me know something happened globally.

2) The app on the phone will show red log icon - with the first couple of entries indicating "restarting after abnormal shutdown".

3) The "uptime" on the app's info page will indicate days/hours since restart. When I was having crashes, this was thing I referenced most often.

4) If you leave a browser open on the web server page, all the cameras will go blue with "connecting...." if the server resets.

5) The event viewer and/or the BI log will also indicate the crash - though unless you create shortcuts to them, they're not that easy to check

You know how it is - you get pretty good at checking them quickly. Good luck!

@OldStyle - Our neighborhood has mailboxes at the street. They're mounted on 6" x 6" posts. I hollowed out the horizontal post, and embedded/flush-mounted one of the Hikvision cameras in it, facing back towards the house. It was a tedious process, but since I did it after taking an Ambien late one night, I really don't remember it ;) I probably wouldn't have done it in a sober condition. Though, it's definitely worth it.

The IR in the Hikvision really lights up the front of the house from a separate angle that makes the other cameras see that much better at night.
That *is* impressive, especially on Ambien! How did you wire it since I assume you had to go under the footpath?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to be getting great results from the latest 4.0.9.12. So far, stable and much less CPU usage (went from around 50-60% down to between 35-40%).

I have been having a small problem connecting from the mobile (iPhone) yesterday, but it could be something completely unrelated as I have been changing the geofence settings lately.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That *is* impressive, especially on Ambien! How did you wire it since I assume you had to go under the footpath?
Most of it was done sober. The part that started it, while on ambien, was pulling the entire mailbox post out of the ground, dragging it into my garage, and working on it with a chisel, drill bit, and blow torch to hollow out the horizontal beam. That probably took 4 or 5 hours (I think), and lasted well into the wee hours. I'm sure my neighbors were thinking I was burying a body in my garage.

Trenching and burying the cat 5, and missileing conduit under the sidewalk happened during the day(s).