Version 4.0.9!

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4.0.9.4 is out now

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ken asked to log into my Hikvision directly to see how the RTSP time code was being sent. Shortly after doing that, he said he'd have a new update out in 10 min... That is 9.4... so hopefully (fingers crossed) that'll be the end of the freezing screens.

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
4.0.9.4 works a lot better, no more freezing of camera's as in 4.0.9.2
For me 4.0.9.3 had a problem with some camera's, they cause the service to restart with an "FORCE quitting pXServer thread" error and then "App Restarted after unexpected shutdown" about every 10 minutes.
I just read that I'm one of the few that has a problem with getting the framerate from the camera :) , as we monitor some camera's for others and they are on 30fps, we can't change that. It used to be 15fps in BI.
I vote for a 'manual override button' :D

Edit: I spoke too soon. FORCE quitting pXServer thread error is back on 1 cam. When I disable that camera, it's stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Uncheck the rtsp time code option under BI cam properties / video/configure for that camera.

Reaction score
As always we are very happy with the updates and improvements. Ken did another great job in supplying the community with a new version again.

Regarding the fact that we cannot disable the framerate autothrottle anymore: about this item we are less happy.
We use a lot of cams and we have 2 blue iris servers running.
While one of the servers will take some of cams (on full framerate), the other server takes other cams (some as demo, some for real) and for this second setup a lesser framerate in BI was always the only way to support having 40 cams up and running simultaniously.

The idea about lowering the framerate in the cams it the option that would suit most of the users, but it will not help in our situation.
We would very much endorse getting back the manual framerate checkbox. (We don't mind if the checkbox is checked as default for new installation, but there will be situations where you as user will want to lower your framerate at the BI installation (and not at the cam).

Can we get the checkbox back please? :)

The Nuclear bunker team

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From the release notes:

• If your camera cannot limit its own frame rate and you want to record at another rate, use the "alternate" frame rate setting on the Record tab.

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
Fingers crossed, but I have not seen the error since I changed the rtsp time code option. :)

miniacres

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree with you on wanting that checkbox back! Since the newest upgrade, (many thanks to Ken for always trying to improve BI) my CPU was 100% and I was unable to lower the frame rate in Blue Iris as I used to be able to do. I did go into the record tab part and and use the alternate frame rate setting, which help bring down the high CPU.
Thanks Fenderman for that!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you on wanting that checkbox back! Since the newest upgrade, (many thanks to Ken for always trying to improve BI) my CPU was 100% and I was unable to lower the frame rate in Blue Iris as I used to be able to do. I did go into the record tab part and and use the alternate frame rate setting, which help bring down the high CPU.
Thanks Fenderman for that!
Welcome to the forum! Its a catch 22, if he brings the check box back then lots of folks have issues because BI drops frames..many users will set it incorrectly...so having no option as the default but allowing users to manually set it in the record tab seems reasonable...most newer cameras will properly limit the frame rate..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the newest upgrade, (many thanks to Ken for always trying to improve BI) my CPU was 100%
Reduce the frame rate in each camera's web interface. Once this is done, Blue Iris' CPU usage should be lower than ever.

I too have mixed feelings about the loss of the ability to set the frame rate. I used to intentionally run my PTZs at 25-30 FPS and have Blue Iris limited to 10 FPS to save on CPU time. That way I'd get smoother video in other video players while not overwhelming Blue Iris quite so badly. So I can appreciate that there are valid reasons for wanting to set the FPS separately in Blue Iris. However I suspect the vast majority of users barely understand this stuff so they would use the frame rate option incorrectly and waste tons of CPU cycles as a result.

miniacres

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Its a catch 22, if he brings the check box back then lots of folks have issues because BI drops frames..many users will set it incorrectly...so having no option as the default but allowing users to manually set it in the record tab seems reasonable...most newer cameras will properly limit the frame rate..
Thank you!

I understand and appreciate that I can still set it manually in the record tab. I was used to just clicking on each camera in BI to set it there instead of opening up a browser window for each one.
I have 16 cameras running and 5 disabled at the moment. I have been using BI for several years now and think it is the best out there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify, it's the record tab in blue iris.. Not the cameras...
However it's always best to go into the camera and do it there...

Sent via Taptalk

miniacres

n3wb
Reaction score
Reduce the frame rate in each camera's web interface. Once this is done, Blue Iris' CPU usage should be lower than ever.

I too have mixed feelings about the loss of the ability to set the frame rate. I used to intentionally run my PTZs at 25-30 FPS and have Blue Iris limited to 10 FPS to save on CPU time. That way I'd get smoother video in other video players while not overwhelming Blue Iris quite so badly. So I can appreciate that there are valid reasons for wanting to set the FPS separately in Blue Iris. However I suspect the vast majority of users barely understand this stuff so they would use the frame rate option incorrectly and waste tons of CPU cycles as a result.
Thank you for that suggestion. I have done that, plus limited it in the record tab and my CPU is down to what is was before the upgrade. 42% or so. I believe I did as you on the PTZ.
So many thanks for the information. It is appreciated. I am always learning something new in what BI can do.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
4.0.9.6 is out, but my BI won't DL it.. says 0/3xxxxx bytes downloaded. Won't get off first base. I'm guessing he's getting crushed.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It may have been on my end. I rebooted the machine, and then it downloaded immediately. I always think Zebras when I hear hooves. Go figure.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just hope the crashing stops. I've been getting perhaps a dozen crashes a day since 4.0.8.0. I actually downgraded to 4.0.7.0 for a while today just so it would not crash while I was recording construction work in my back yard! 4.0.7 uses a lot less RAM too. 2.5 GB on my system whereas 4.0.9 uses 3.7 GB!