Using POE Texas injectors with VLANs

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey,

so I've never tried using a POE injector with VLANs before. Has anyone tried using POE injectors on a network using VLAN encapsulation? And if so, how'd that go?

Have a friend with lots of streaming devices, network is starting to have latency issues. I'm pretty sure he'll have to get a different switch, since the one he's got now is unmanaged, but I'm wondering if I can get a cheaper switch and use some of his POE injectors he already has, or if those might interfere with VLAN tagging.

He's got one of these already for some of his Unifi APs: GPOE-4B-24V30W It's really some cheap rebranded shit from Alibaba - ain't nobody make POE injectors in Texas :/

Hoping we can use that, and also grab another one that's 802.3af for IP cameras, but will spring for the POE switch if there's a chance injectors could interfere with VLAN-ing.

Edit: Tried to make subject of question more clear

Last edited:

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
802.3af needs 44v - 57v.

The "Texas" device you listed gives 24v.

You'll be better off buying a POE netgear switch or you can find a management.

If he got "Gabillion" streaming wifi devices, they can interfere each other. How many Unifi AP does he have? How many wifi device does he have? Is he using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? etc.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
802.3af needs 44v - 57v.

The "Texas" device you listed gives 24v.

You'll be better off buying a POE netgear switch or you can find a management.

If he got "Gabillion" streaming wifi devices, they can interfere each other. How many Unifi AP does he have? How many wifi device does he have? Is he using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? etc.
The OP is whether or not POE injectors can interfere with VLANs. I know 24v is not 802.3af.

Yes, I know devices can interfere with each other, that's one reason why we're setting up VLANs.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Does your friend have the Unifi APs (UAP-AC-LITE, UAP-AC-LR), because those appear to support both 24V passive POE and 802.3af.
Personally, I went with the Ubiquity injector for mine (hoping for warranty), for all I know it's a rebranded Alibaba product as well, but as long as your friends equipment supports one of the POE standards I would think a good VLAN aware POE/POE+ switch would be the ideal solution.
I have a different POE*Texas product (confirmed available on Alibaba) I am using to power an IR spotlight. It's too early to tell on long-term reliability, but I have run it for 2 days straight without anything catching fire. I don't have any actual VLANs to check it on, sorry.

I recall when I was researching another Unifi product (in wall AP UAP-AC-IW-US), that there were reports that it didn't support VLAN traffic but seems later they got it working fine, might be an option if there are areas with coverage issues that you need combination of wi-fi and hardwired (I'm using for a front bedroom that's pretty far around a corner and down a hall from the Unifi AP). One benefit of the Unifi family of products is they can seamlessly provide multiple AP with same SSID.

You didn't say what type of streaming devices, but maybe your friends problem is wi-fi congestion? I bought a bunch of these Chromecast Ethernet Adapter for our Chromecast devices to get them off my wi-fi network.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does your friend have the Unifi APs (UAP-AC-LITE, UAP-AC-LR), because those appear to support both 24V passive POE and 802.3af.
Personally, I went with the Ubiquity injector for mine (hoping for warranty), for all I know it's a rebranded Alibaba product as well, but as long as your friends equipment supports one of the POE standards I would think a good VLAN aware POE/POE+ switch would be the ideal solution.
I have a different POE*Texas product (confirmed available on Alibaba) I am using to power an IR spotlight. It's too early to tell on long-term reliability, but I have run it for 2 days straight without anything catching fire. I don't have any actual VLANs to check it on, sorry.

I recall when I was researching another Unifi product (in wall AP UAP-AC-IW-US), that there were reports that it didn't support VLAN traffic but seems later they got it working fine, might be an option if there are areas with coverage issues that you need combination of wi-fi and hardwired (I'm using for a front bedroom that's pretty far around a corner and down a hall from the Unifi AP). One benefit of the Unifi family of products is they can seamlessly provide multiple AP with same SSID.

You didn't say what type of streaming devices, but maybe your friends problem is wi-fi congestion? I bought a bunch of these Chromecast Ethernet Adapter for our Chromecast devices to get them off my wi-fi network.
Are you using VLANs with your POE injector? Cuz, that was the OP...

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey,

so I've never tried using a POE injector with VLANs before. Has anyone tried using POE injectors on a network using VLAN encapsulation? And if so, how'd that go?

Have a friend with lots of streaming devices, network is starting to have latency issues. I'm pretty sure he'll have to get a different switch, since the one he's got now is unmanaged, but I'm wondering if I can get a cheaper switch and use some of his POE injectors he already has, or if those might interfere with VLAN tagging.

He's got one of these already for some of his Unifi APs: GPOE-4B-24V30W It's really some cheap rebranded shit from Alibaba - ain't nobody make POE injectors in Texas :/

Hoping we can use that, and also grab another one that's 802.3af for IP cameras, but will spring for the POE switch if there's a chance injectors could interfere with VLAN-ing.

Edit: Tried to make subject of question more clear

No injector is going to be that smart. My guess is it will forward any data/frame it receives intact, vlan tag and all.

Reaction score
Are you using VLANs with your POE injector? Cuz, that was the OP...
..... I don't have any actual VLANs to check it on, sorry.
Yeah sorry about that, got buried in the response. I agree with Valiant I'd be surprised, but I don't have any VLAN easily accessible, and I don't have the exact same POE*Texas injector so couldn't be 100% sure I guess.