Using Blueiris as encoder to facilitate an iptv broadcast

helraiser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm looking to set up Blueiris as an encoder, or a stream output that feeds an encoder, in order to create IPTV feeds based on the camera feeds.

My office has a lot of interior offices and we've been tasked to find a way to mount cameras on the roof and broadcast the picturesque view to TVs/monitors people will have in their offices. This is to improve overall employee morale as some folks have interior offices that don't see daylight for hours and based on where we live, it's possible for someone to come to work when it's dark and leave when it's dark - unless they force themselves to leave the building.

The physical cabling aside, I've been looking into Thor broadcast encoders that can receive RTSP signals, encode them and create an IPTV stream so we can install a player on the tv that can then be used to change between the different streams/cameras, or allow people to stream on their computers.

I started thinking I have BI at home for my setup and perhaps I could put together a system that would act as this Thor unit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that pretty much all the video Blue Iris pushes out through its web/rtsp server is encoded in realtime on-demand for each client. This is expensive so if you are going to deploy this on a lot of screens, you need to minimize the number of streams coming out of Blue Iris or else it will eat a ton of CPU. It sounds like your broadcast encoders will take care of that for any non-interactive displays. If those encoders can connect directly to the cameras and produce their own video-wall grid without involving Blue Iris, that is even better.

helraiser

n3wb
Reaction score
THere is one encoder that supports the composite, component inputs but not ip/rtsp. Another will do ip inputs and output qam / iptv streams. Definitely a max on the streams but then all the encoding is performed within the unit. As they're broadcast grade I suspect their ASICs are tailored to encoding vs. a traditional PC's cpu. I was hoping there was a way to leverage Blueiris and add the capture component rather than just pure encoding. Thanks for th einput, @bp2008

ericINT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Old thread so a solution was likely already found.

However, thought I would poke in for anyone searching too. I would expect an IP based balun would be a better solution. E.g. edit: Changed link due to incorrect unit. You could have one input source (transmitter) and then connect as many receivers as needed to the same network. Similar use case to a lot of repeated TVs in bars and such.

I use something like this, and other more specific HDMI encoders, to bring in 40+ HDMI computer streams into BI as well. Most of the IP based baluns are just an RTSP stream.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Old thread so a solution was likely already found.

However, thought I would poke in for anyone searching too. I would expect an IP based balun would be a better solution. E.g. You could have one input source (transmitter) and then connect as many receivers as needed to the same network. Similar use case to a lot of repeated TVs in bars and such.

I use something like this, and other more specific HDMI encoders, to bring in 40+ HDMI computer streams into BI as well. Most of the IP based baluns are just an RTSP stream.
IMO, I do not think that meets the goal of the OP. In amazon's Q & A's for your linked device it states those only connect transmitter to receiver and are not networkable. It also provides a link to another pair of devices that is one-input-to-many-output, but it can be done only with it's own dedicated switch and not part of a LAN.

amazon-QandA_102122.jpg

ericINT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMO, I do not think that meets the goal of the OP. In amazon's Q & A's for your linked device it states those only connect transmitter to receiver and are not networkable. It also provides a link to another pair of devices that is one-input-to-many-output, but it can be done only with it's own dedicated switch and not part of a LAN.

View attachment 143383
I did link a different set, which I thought was the 4k equivalent version, but did not inspect closely enough.
I have used these exact set on my network: Product page: HDMI Over Cat6 Extender

I have roughly 40 of these on a network with other ip cameras. (Transmitters only, feeding into Blue Iris)

I have a few more at a medium sized office, around 150 workstations. They are not on a segregated vlan, but it may be best practice to do so. One transmitter, 4 receivers, used as an announcement board.

The only issue I have is that compared to a dedicated HDMI encoder, there is very little you can modify. They still do output a main and sub stream, allow changing the resolution/bitrate of each, and you can input a static ip. No framerate adjustment however (30 fps). Still, for $80 for a transmitter, receiver, and a pair of HDMI cables they are much cheaper than almost any HDMI encoder on the market, and pretty flexible with the receiver.
I have quite a few spare receivers now since I have mostly used them to transmit the RTSP streams to Blue Iris. They seem to be out of stock at the moment, but there are equivalent units available as Cable Matters has just slapped their brand on these things coming out of China. (e.g. Monoprice 1 , Monoprice 2) I actually have a single one of the 1st Monoprice units, which is identical to the Cable Matters in function. (and firmware) The Monoprice unit can be split and just a bunch of receivers purchased to fill out a system more cheaply though. receiver

Last edited:

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So is there a way for BI to broadcast an RTSP stream with an added overlay?

ericINT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So is there a way for BI to broadcast an RTSP stream with an added overlay?
Blue Iris is an RTSP server as well.

Not sure what you are looking to broadcast, but you can always clone a camera and add any overlay you prefer in the video tab.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI: If you want to get the substream, use "&decode=-1".

Example: rtsp://<BI5 IP ADDRESS>:<PORT>/<CAM SHORTNAME>&decode=-1