Using a Dahua camera to be a PEST repellant? Feasible?

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY regarding those Dahua cameras with AI built-in, do they
require 24/7 internet access?

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use liquid fence, it's made from wolf urine. It triggers a predatory response to run away. Wolves eat cats and other small animals. Worth a shot.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, an active deterrence camera or a camera that has a built-in speaker would likely cause them to run.
For the first few times, but I suspect the cats would grow accustom to it very quickly and it would be less effective as time went on.

Wepee - I don't think using cameras to deter the cats will work for very long as there is no physical element (like getting sprayed with water) to this deterrence - just sound and lights. I think your efforts are better used looking for a different long term solution. Don't get me wrong, more cameras is never a bad thing, but don't expect them to fix your cat issue for very long.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, here are a few things I have done in my yard to deter the neighborhood cats. Outside my front door I have a cushioned sofa that seems to attract cats. For the most part I didn't mind it, but when they started leaving their fleas on the cushions, it became a problem. My experimentation with sound and light was to use a Dahua N55DU82 camera to initiate a sound each time an intrusion zone was activated. This particular Dahua is great because you can upload your own sounds to the camera. Also, when the intrusion zone is tripped, it activates an Alexa routine and starts blinking some smart light bulbs (red). As an added deterrence, I put clear packing tape (sticky side up) on the seat cushions. That solved the problem with them jumping on the sofa. In my yard I set up a scarecrow motion-detecting rainbird sprinkler. Works great, and I haven't had a problem since I started using it.

Attachments

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This particular Dahua is great because you can upload your own sounds to the camera. Also, when the intrusion zone is tripped, it activates an Alexa routine and starts blinking some smart light bulbs (red).
Based on the first video, I think some of the cooler cats make think it's a nightclub!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If the speaker can respond high enough to emit ultrasonics, emit ultrasonic sound instead if you can get your hands on an suitable audio file.

If not you might be better buying a separate ultrasonic emmitter.

eg.
Also don't rule out using plants to deter cats:

or water jets:

PS The items above are random google searches not specific item recommendations.

Reaction score
If it is a local re-occuring stray cat... it will get used to whatever deterrent you put out there from smells or sounds. Water sprinkler would work but a big challenge to identify "cat" over "dog" or even "HUMAN" at night time with bad lighting.
Getting your own cat will just result in territorial disputes out loud at 3am.
Getting your own dog (even a ankle bitter) would solve the issue but then you have to allow it to roam the area where you do not want cats so that means fenced in yard or maybe one of those invisible RF collar yard borders.
Cats hunt from 9pm-5am so sitting on porch with slingshot or bb gun is not feasible (besides, you'll goto HE double hockey sticks!)
If I were not a cat & dog lover...
I'd whip something up on my Home Automation and Wifi lawn mower (eh...really its just a remote control weed whacker) that cruised around when it detected movement. Put a little music device on it that sounds like a wolf or coyote. With a water gun.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the speaker can respond high enough to emit ultrasonics, emit ultrasonic sound instead if you can get your hands on an suitable audio file.

If not you might be better buying a separate ultrasonic emmitter.

eg.
Also don't rule out using plants to deter cats:

or water jets:

PS The items above are random google searches not specific item recommendations.
Thank you for you information shared.
I was interested in getting the ultrasonic emitter.
But I heard many say it is not as effective as you think it is.

2022-05-13_12-20-26.jpg

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it is a local re-occuring stray cat... it will get used to whatever deterrent you put out there from smells or sounds. Water sprinkler would work but a big challenge to identify "cat" over "dog" or even "HUMAN" at night time with bad lighting.
Getting your own cat will just result in territorial disputes out loud at 3am.
Getting your own dog (even a ankle bitter) would solve the issue but then you have to allow it to roam the area where you do not want cats so that means fenced in yard or maybe one of those invisible RF collar yard borders.
Cats hunt from 9pm-5am so sitting on porch with slingshot or bb gun is not feasible (besides, you'll goto HE double hockey sticks!)
If I were not a cat & dog lover...
I'd whip something up on my Home Automation and Wifi lawn mower (eh...really its just a remote control weed whacker) that cruised around when it detected movement. Put a little music device on it that sounds like a wolf or coyote. With a water gun.
I wonder if it is possible to construct a device like that similar but with Deepstack AI(to determine whether the creature is a cat)

Version1:

Version2:

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wepee - I don't think using cameras to deter the cats will work for very long as there is no physical element (like getting sprayed with water) to this deterrence - just sound and lights. I think your efforts are better used looking for a different long term solution. Don't get me wrong, more cameras is never a bad thing, but don't expect them to fix your cat issue for very long.
Alright, thanks I will take note. I think my project has to be based on "water" to really scare the SH?T out of the cats.
And hence, they will remember never to trespass on this property anymore. :D