Upgrading Hikvision NVR system help

singhhr604

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased A business. They are running two hikvision NVR's in two different buildings. The NVR's are linked together with a total of 10 cameras (5 on each). One of the NVR's has the cameras plugged in directly and the other is running a POE switch to the NVR. I am pretty handy with HikVision so I bought two new NVR's and a couple tandemvu cameras to upgrade a couple of the existing cameras. My question is what is the best way to go about this upgrade? I have SADP and am familiar with it. I know the cameras will be linked to the other NVR but I have all the passwords for them. I know that sometimes it easier to not reset all the cameras. Any guidance this forum can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am pretty handy with HikVision so I bought two new NVR's and a couple tandemvu cameras to upgrade a couple of the existing cameras. My question is what is the best way to go about this upgrade?
I may be missing something from what you've described - but why can't you just configure the new NVRs with the same settings as the existing ones, in terms of camera IP addresses and passwords, NVR IP addresses etc and just swap them?

Depending on the (unspecified) models and their firmware, an HDD swap should also work - though on the new NVRs you may need to use the 'rebuild database' option under the NVR web GUI Storage Management pages.

Then when all is working, you can look at whether there are any new features in the new NVRs that are worth exploring.

singhhr604

n3wb
Reaction score
I may be missing something from what you've described - but why can't you just configure the new NVRs with the same settings as the existing ones, in terms of camera IP addresses and passwords, NVR IP addresses etc and just swap them?

So I switch them and now I'm locked out of the cameras. Didn't work on plug and play and manual doesn't work either

Depending on the (unspecified) models and their firmware, an HDD swap should also work - though on the new NVRs you may need to use the 'rebuild database' option under the NVR web GUI Storage Management pages.

Then when all is working, you can look at whether there are any new features in the new NVRs that are worth exploring.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're locked out of the cameras because they were using plug and play on the previous NVR and when you've replaced the NVR you've possibly used a different NVR admin or channel default password. When switching cameras or NVR I prefer to manually assign addresses to the cameras. In your case:

• Disconnect cameras from the NVR ports temporarily and connect to a PoE switch or a PoE supply one at a time.
  • Find the IP address with an IP scanner or SADP (192.168.254.xxx most likely)
  • Login to each camera, change the IP address only to 192.168.254.xxx where xxx is 100 plus the camera number IE cam 8 would be 192.168.254.108 (I only do this to ensure the cameras are assigned addresses away from what the NVR would and they're easy to remember should you wish to access the camera directly) You can do that via a browser or SADP. Leave the cameras disconnected for now
  • In the NVR, manually edit each channel from Plug and Play to Manual, set the IP address as above, enter the camera admin password if different from the NVR admin password (if the same just tick channel default password) and save
  • Reconnect the cameras to their respective ports on the NVR