upgrading firmware DS-7608N-E2/8P, help needed

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi!

I needed one more camera to my system with DS-7608N-E2/8P with the original firmware v.3.0.8. Unfortunately the new camera (2CD2335 with 5.3.6. firmware) does not work with the system. The camera works, I can access it directly.

So, is a NVR firmware issue? Which firmware should work? Any good tutorials how to upgrade? Anything else I need / should do? I didn't want to come to this point where I need to upgrade, but I need to have the camera working...

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since you have a N version and not Ni it will probably be a tricky one to do anything about unfortunately

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3.0.8 firmware has none of the region-locking restrictions of the newer firmware, so one risk is finding 'language mismatch' problems on your other existing cameras if you update.
Worth a quick check (unless you already know) is to verify the reported language of each camera with a browser using:
http://<camera_IP_address>/SDK/language
and inspect the result.
Also - 3.0.8 still has telnet access, so to cover any problems and give yourself a fall-back position you can take a copy of the firmware (it's all in a cramfs in mtdblock2) and re-flash back to where you were, if you also take a copy of the device configuration.
A web GUI update from 3.0.8 will preserver EN menus even with later CN firmware as it holds the language in the configuration area.
From an old post way back - a way to grab a copy of the installed firmware :
For at least some of the NVRs, the installed firmware can be backed up and a new firmware image created so that you can get back to the 'as delivered' state assuming the seller isn't kind enough to supply you with a firmware image you could use.
I won't post the fine detail here just now, I'd need to be very sure I remembered it right, would not want to break anyone's NVR, but the essence is:
Unmount it and grab a copy of /dev/mtdblock2
Use Hiktools (@wzhick's very useful tool) to 'create' a new firmware file, using the header from any official valid firmware file (*edit* delete --> that you have 'split' with the tool), and the copy of mtdblock2
Update the NVR with the resultant firmware file.

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
which firmware should i use for upgrade, so that I could get the new camera working?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you made a copy of the currently running firmware yet, so you can go back when the update doesn't work?
And the currently running device configuration.

It's unlikely that you will get a native 2335 with 5.3.6 firmware connected without a language mismatch, even when using ONVIF as that route now supports camera language checks.
But if you've tested all your cameras with http://<camera_IP_address>/SDK/language and got 'english' then it may work with its hacked firmware.

I'm using a native 3335 with 5.3.3 firmware and it works OK under ONVIF with H.264 (not H.265) with NVR 3.3.4 firmware.
If you want to take the risk and try an update there is a wide choice of versions here.
There is a good chance, though, that you will get the beep-beep-beep bootloop "you camera is bought in CN ..." (sic) complaint.
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/

The 'official' -N CN firmware is here - 4th one down. http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_699.html#prettyPhoto
A web GUI update should preserve the EN menus, but a tftp update or a reset to defaults will result in CN menus.

But if you have the fallback original firmware, that is quite recoverable.

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Damn, i asked in another thread which camera I should buy to for my NVR and at that point I had no idea that newer cameras aren't compatible with my older firmware. People were just saying go with hikvision cameras. I think i won't risk the current system by trying to upgrade. Too much hazzle, too little knowledge. Now I have wasted money on a new camera. Is there any other way to get it working? Are there any cameras that are compatible with my NVR as it is (and would be cheap)?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I have wasted money on a new camera.
Have you tried it as an ONVIF model? That should work OK.

And if you do the 'copy out the mtdblocks' (and the device configuration) you can get right back to the original firmware. I've done that oodles of times on my 7816 NVRs originally running 3.0.8 ML firmware.

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will try ONVIF. I'm not an expert on computers so I am really not willing to risk a functioning system. Let's see how it goes with ONVIF :)