Unhappy with stability of HFW2831T-ZS cameras

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My dahua cams also crash and reboot daily or every other day. My Hikvision does not. I have to check the cabling again and will be swapping camera locations so let's see.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My dahua cams also crash and reboot daily or every other day. My Hikvision does not. I have to check the cabling again and will be swapping camera locations so let's see.
Well I tested the cameras locally over a weekend to iron out any kinks and never noticed anything until I put them in a dif system, so it's entirely possible there's some interactions with other equipment that were unforeseen, or something I neglected to test rigorously. I will definitely test connecting to recordings through the app more rigorously next time now that I've seen it being a pain point in action.

Hope your process of elimination turns up something good.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an update:

Two out of three cameras I upgraded with DH_IPC-HX2(1)XXX-Sag_EngSpnFrn_NP_Market_V2.800.0000000.5.R.200107

One of the cameras is just stuck at the firmware uploading page (thread): Dahua firmware update works on all but 1 camera - stuck at uploading

The cameras appear to be working better, I have not lost a live feed in Milestone for days, and DMSS appears to connect to recordings reliably. The camera that will not upgrade firmware is a bit slower to respond and doesn't connect occasionally, but I'm not sure if I can attribute that to the older firmware alone.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to get these working properly, so I didn't do any specific A/B testing of each change, I just tried a bunch of stuff all at once. So I'm not really sure which particular change improved the camera's "stability".

Here's what I did:
Enable uPnP in camera
Enable uPnP in firewall (Unifi Security Gateway)
Enable uPnP in Milestone Mobile Server
Enable IGMP snooping on LAN
Disable Milestone PC's firewall (for now - until I figure out which ports are used between camera-Milestone)
Downgrade from H265 to H264H on all streams

I have NOT:
Changed POE switch to see if 802.3az had an effect

Personally I'm thinking the H265 to H264H downgrade is probably what had the most influence on the cameras themselves, the rest of the stuff is just loosening network security way more than I usually like to to see if the cameras will talk with Milestone and DMSS more easily. If I were to recommend any one of these to start with it would be downgrade to H264x.

Any thoughts?

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why are you letting the entire internet in to mess with your cameras?
Yeah, I almost never turn on uPnP. About 60% of people connect remotely, but it's mostly for debugging purposes atm until I have time to research how to properly lock it down.

Would you like our IP address? ;)