UART conexion for huisun

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its an Ambarella A5s66 and I think you'll find the UART RX/TX are the two pins I highlighted.. they look like the best candidates.. its not easy to read from the pix with that cluster fuck of resistors right under the chip.

otherwise find the spec sheet for that chip, it'll tell you what the UART pins are for that chip and trace them on the board to a place you can tap into em.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd speculate that J1 is an optional USB connector, and would test the square/round pair + GND in the bottom left corner of the image.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the image again, though, there are several other potential candidates.
It's straightforward enough to check out.
Take your USB to TTL serial convertor, attach the GND wire to any of the big corner holes that the mounting screws go in - or the metal plate they connect to if the board is still assembled.
Wrap the RX wire around a short needle and start up PuTTY or your favourite serial terminal program, with likely settings 115,200 baud rate, 8 bits no parity, no flow control.
With the camera powered off, poke the needle gently on to one of the pads marked TP around the big SoC chip in the middle.
Power on the camera and watch for readable text scrolling up in the terminal. It will likely finish with a '#' prompt, it might be static, it might still keep scrolling.
If nothing, power off, move to the next pad and power on again.
When you've got the right one, you need to get another hand to keep the Return key pressed on the keyboard.
Wrap the TX wire around another needle and whilst keeping the original needle in place, probe the pads marked TP and look for the one that generates new lines on the terminal screen. The return key will be sending data if it's kept pressed.
When you've found them - the hard task is then to fix the wires in place so you can make use of the access.
But be careful - don't short things out.