two Hikvision cameras not being seen or recorded by Hikvision NVR

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have had this system for a couple of years now.
Two DS-2CD4324FWD-1ZHS8 cameras have stopped recording because they're not being seen by our Hikvision DS-9632NI-ST NVR.

We're using a Hikvision POE switch to power the cameras, if I connect directly to the switch I can use a browser to connect to the cameras and view a live stream video and all the settings.
So I'm assuming the cameras 'are' working.

I cannot get the 2 cameras so show up in my NVR. It says my cameras are disconnected or not working.

I usually just have to power down the camera for 30 sec by unplugging the data cable from my switch, then reconnecting; that usually will reset any camera that's being fussy or blanks out on us.

I have plugged the cameras into a different port on our switch which didn't fix it.
I have rebooted the NVR which didn't fix it; I rebooted the switch which didn't fix it; I shut both NVR and switch off and turned them both back on together which hasn't fixed it.

I defaulted one of the cameras and that hasn't helped either.
I compared config settings with another camera of the same model that's working and my settings are ok.

We're using iVMS-4200 on our desktops to view the videos, the cameras don't show up there either.

I'm not sure what else to look at or try; any suggestions would be appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can use a browser to connect to the cameras and view a live stream video and all the settings.
Does the IP address of the camera match the IP address in Camera Configuration on the NVR?
If you temporarily change the configured IP address for the channel the camera is associated with, does that model of NVR have the ability to do a search for cameras that are available to connect and does it list the now orphaned camera?

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, the IP matches the Camera Configuration of the NVR. It's been working for over 2 years now.
I did change the IP to another IP that is in the range of the NVR configuration; the NVR saw it, it actually looked like it was going to work, it showed the 'serial#" of the camera at first but once it actually added / configured it, it didn't change.

I still get the message or icon it's not connected and the camera view on the NVR says "no link".

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have since removed the camera, did a reset using the button 'on' the camera. Thought that might do more of a 'hard' reset but it didn't help.

I have a question about the lights "on" the camera.
What is the "blue" light that comes on when first powered up and then turns "red"?

I understand the other two are 'link' light and 'activity' light.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's a step by step of what I just did (w/pics)
1. I deleted cam3 from the NVR
2. I reset cam3 to the defaults, unplugged the cam3 and rebooted the NVR
3. on reboot, I plugged cam3 back in; NVR see's cam3 with its new (default) IP address "AND" see's it's m/n and s/n [pic1 pic2]
4. I changed the cam3 IP to a new network IP address; NVR sees cam3 with new IP [pic3]
5. I "add" cam3 to NVR cam configuration; NVR no longer sees m/n or s/n and shows it disconnected [pic4]

Pic 1.jpg Pic 2.jpg Pic 3.jpg Pic 4.jpg

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. Run SADP and see if that will see them
2. If you are 'sure' that is the ip of the unit, can you use a web browser to see them?

And you don't kneed to block out the ip's, they are locally routed and not of use to any potential hacker.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you add the default camera password ? To the nvr
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "add" the default camera password to the nvr.

1. Run SADP and see if that will see them
Yes, I have and I can see all my cameras.

2. If you are 'sure' that is the ip of the unit, can you use a web browser to see them?
Yes, I've been using a web browser to access my camera. That's what's got me confused about which way to go in diagnosing the problem.
The camera seems to work, the nvr won't talk to it / or camera won't talk to nvr; but which one has the problem.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
We have had this system for a couple of years now.
Two DS-2CD4324FWD-1ZHS8 cameras have stopped recording because they're not being seen by our Hikvision DS-9632NI-ST NVR.
Prior to the problem, did you do any firmware updates on either the cameras or the NVR?
The symptoms are a bit like a firmware compatibility issue, newer cameras / older NVR.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Prior to the problem, did you do any firmware updates on either the cameras or the NVR?
It's been a couple of months(correction-May 2017) but yes, I upgraded the firmware on these two and one other camera.
These two took the upgrade without any problems, seemed pretty seamless. The third camera upgraded but my picture was blurry. I got the other camera re-adjusted to compensate for the blurry / maladjustment and it's still working fine. (I don't have the original field of view but it's working)

Do you think it's taken this long for them to not like each other?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think it's taken this long for them to not like each other?
To be honest, I wouldn't have thought so, unless there was something like a subsequent NVR reboot that occurred closer to the problem manifestation that may have changed the running environment.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had given some thought as to whether that was the issue, but didn't think after 4 months it would be the cause.

BUT; I re-loaded the firmware with the same firmware and it started working immediately! Argh!

Now for the second camera, that was a little different, kind of; I re-loaded the firmware on that camera but it didn't work, I tried several times, defaulted, etc.
I had to take the camera down, use the "reset button" on the camera before the firmware re-load would take. Once I did that the camera started working right away.
(during my diagnosis on my first camera I had already used the "reset button" on the camera)

I just hope this isn't going to be a common problem with these cameras. I can only hope they don't act up in the winter time, our lift doesn't like snow. Ha!

Thanks Alastair for your thoughts.